joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's Your Favorite Snowstorm

CT Rain

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparatively to areas such as the plateau?

no of course not, that's the snowiest area east of the rockies.

But we do average 95" with most of it being les.  And since Lake Erie has a very long fetch, BUF can rack up a ton of snow in a short period of time.  It's just the needing SW winds and cold air means that BUF tends to get it less often than areas 30 miles south with average 200" and areas on the Tug Hill which average 300".

no of course not, that's the snowiest area east of the rockies.

But we do average 95" with most of it being les. And since Lake Erie has a very long fetch, BUF can rack up a ton of snow in a short period of time. It's just the needing SW winds and cold air means that BUF tends to get it less often than areas 30 miles south with average 200" and areas on the Tug Hill which average 300".

As I said earlier awful memory attributes to this.

But I think it was you I remember posts complaining about wind direction etc etc and buffalo being in a little screw hole somewhat often. guess I sorta over estimated it.

As I said earlier awful memory attributes to this.

But I think it was you I remember posts complaining about wind direction etc etc and buffalo being in a little screw hole somewhat often. guess I sorta over estimated it.

The Niagara Escarpment in NW Niagara County is a snow hole...they only average 50-60"...snow increases as you move east across southern Lake Ontario and also as you move south along Lake Erie.  The 100" line should probably creep up a bit farther north. 

snowseas.gif

February 5?, 2001, Nor'easter with just insane snowfall rates here and it was all mostly during the day which was fun. January 2011 just as a month but especially the 12th with the Thunder Snow just awesome. Oct 2011 because we got 18" and the rarity of it, one to tell the grand kids about someday.

not a tough one for me. :lol:

hurricane force winds, drifts to 8 feet and front end loaders lifting cars out of the road to make them passable. and Pats go on to crush the Steelers in AFC championship game

Yes I've said this a million times, but the rest of SNE really needed to see for themselves what the Cape looked like afterwards. I seriously could not believe it.

Top 5, listed chronologically (1st 2 in NNJ, next 2 in Ft.Kent, last in New Sharon):

--2/3-4/1961:  24" fell atop 20"+ snowpack, depths over 40" (two nearby COOPs reported 50" and 52"), easily top snowpack in NNJ records.

--12/24/1966:  Only 15", but Christmas Eve timing and thundersnow (I hadn't considered that even possible), plus my being out in the woods hunting when the thunder came makes this a top 5.

--4/7-8/1982:  17.5" with temps low teens (about 30F below normal max for the date), mega drifting in winds 30-60+.  Best bust ever; prev. evening's forecast was 20s, windy, flurries.

--3/14-15/1984:  26.5" brought snow depth to 65", highest ever at my stake.  Measured 80" in the woods near Estcourt Station the next day.  Bar. fell only 1028 to 1014 during storm.

--2/22-23/2009:  24.5" bringing snow depth to near 50", most intense band I've been in, with 9" in 2:45 and 18" in 7.5 hr.

Have to respectfully demur on Jan '96 being huge for everybody.  Most of Maine had light-mod acum.  I had 4.0" in Gardiner, would've been less where I am now and complete whiff for Aroostook.

Really tough to pinpoint one - basically a four-way tie at the top.

1/12/11 - 22" of pure fluff atop an existing 1' pack.  Trained up to Ridgefield, Ct. to catch it with my family overnight.  What made it extra special:

- Much exceeded expectations - forecasts were generally for 8-12... I thought there would be some strong banding in WCT/WMA - hi res models were hinting at this along with CSI potential.  They were right.

- Cutoff.  Literally the Ct/NY border was the dividing line btwn 10 and 20 inch totals.  There was a sick meso band that developed and pivoted over the area (and then swung East to crust the rest of SNE) for several hours.  I took the train back to the city the next day and there was only 10" at the station just over the border. 

- The rates - heaviest i have ever seen in a synoptic storm ... literally 12" in 3.5 hrs. with one of those hours producing 5" ... you could literally watch it accumulate.  I have never had a storm produce as much snow in such a short period of time.  My dad went to bed at around 11 with 3" on the ground and work up the next day at 7 a.m. with about 22". 

Jan. '05: Sick winds and incredibly heavy snow... extra special because spent with my best friend at his parents' place on the S. Shore of Ma... will never really know how much fell because of the winds and the fact that we were right on the beach... probably between 26-30" judging from nearby reports (we were in Mattapoissett)

Jan. 96: Epic because I had never experienced a storm like that... 24" atop a 14" pack... was a sophomore in HS ... amazing model shift the day before to include SW Ct. in the heavy snow.  We jackpotted for Ct.

Boxing Day: Spend that in Manhattan on the Battery... just insane winds... wild drifting and of course, heavy snow.  Entire city shut down.  Several bouts of very close t-snow on the W Side.

Honorable Mention: Feb. 5, 2001.... also had thundersnow... sick rates... 15" in New Haven - was forecasting for Yale Daily News at the time... went big on snow and it paid off... great time with college friends, terrific memories.

Archived