• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's Your Favorite Snowstorm

CT Rain

Feb '01 produced well in CT River valley in MA and extreme N CT..esp west side of HFD county....check out the PNS from that

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/climate/snowrpts/FE060114

Had it been just a degree or two colder we would have piled up at least three to five more inches of snow, we def had the rates and qpf but there was some settling going on for sure.

i think if it had been 27-28 degrees we would have had depths of new snow closer to two feet and not a foot in a half..i recorded an event total of 19 inches but prob could have gone an inch or two higher. Greatest depth was right about 18 inches then with the four to seven inch cement layer beneath it 22 to 26 inches total depth

the cement layer was so solid that i could walk on top of it..and to get a total depth measurement i had to scale a mop handle because the yard stick would not penetrate the old snow

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tied with Feb 2006 and Jan 11th/12th of 2011.  In Feb 2006 I had 27.5'' of snow.  13'' fell in 3 hours and the thunder/lightning was awesome.  Granted the snow compacted by about half the next day but whatever.  2 years ago I had 24'' of snow in that blizzard with thunder/lightning too.  The snowfall rates were about 3''/HR during the height of the storm.  

Really Feb 01 is up there that high?

I don't recall it down in Guilford. October 2011 is just so special for me. 

Feb 01 was  great cause it was a big positive bust. I recall forecasts being like 5-8" or 6-10 tops before the storm and to land 20.5" (no clearing) with the meat of the storm all falling in less than 10 hours with a touch of thunder snow to boot, yeah I'd say it ranks pretty high.

Oct 2011 does beat it handily, no argument there.

Feb 01 was great cause it was a big positive bust. I recall forecasts being like 5-8" or 6-10 tops before the storm and to land 20.5" (no clearing) with the meat of the storm all falling in less than 10 hours with a touch of thunder snow to boot, yeah I'd say it ranks pretty high.

Oct 2011 does beat it handily, no argument there.

Ok good I am remembering correctly lol, it was a fun storm around here

Feb 5-6, 2001 dumped 25"+ on some places in east-central NH, IIRC, with reports of 5"/hr from that area.  I had 17" at my place while Farmington COOP recorded 24", six miles to my west.  In the pre-dawn end-of-storm grayness of the 6th, I was about to run the snowblower down the path to where our dog was tied, then decided to walk in first to see why he was barking.  Two steps in something whacked my leg a few times - a flushing partridge that had taken overnight refuge in the fresh snow.  I was very glad I had not found it with the snowblower!

Tied with Feb 2006 and Jan 11th/12th of 2011.  In Feb 2006 I had 27.5'' of snow.  13'' fell in 3 hours and the thunder/lightning was awesome.  Granted the snow compacted by about half the next day but whatever.  2 years ago I had 24'' of snow in that blizzard with thunder/lightning too.  The snowfall rates were about 3''/HR during the height of the storm.  

what was your max depth during the feb 06 storm?

and you really compacted that much by the end of the next day?

• 6 months later...

From before my time:

December 23-24th, 1912.(76 years prior to my existence) In a pretty mild winter (at least for ACK) this was the beacon of hope. There was sleighing on Christmas Day. It was covered in Northeast Snowstorms by Kocin and Ucellini. The pictures from the NHA make it look as though about 8 inches fell at ACK. Enough to go sleighing.

Valentines Day 1940. (48 years prior to my existence) My late grandmother was living on Palmer Road in Monson at the time. School was open (my great grandfather, Joe Burgess was the superintendent of the schools there.) He kept her home because he didn't want her to "get lost." She had a Kodak camera that she had been given on her 10th birthday the previous month. The photographs were very, very telling about this storm. It looked as though there was about 15" on the ground when all was said and done.

March 14-16, 1958. (30 years prior.)This is my father's storm. He was born on the 14th. I haven't mapped out the totals yet, but have read that it was an underrated storm.

March 3-5, 1960. (28 years.) I would have loved to see 31 inches on Nantucket.

February 6-7, 1978. (10 years.) A default favorite, it's as if there is a law that states that as a New Englander you have to include it. Brutally hit SNE, but pretty much left the islands alone. My father was at the LORAN-C station at Low Beach. He was driving a Bronco at the time. The front of it had been sandblasted. He also said that the surf was so powerful, you'd get swept away.

April 6-7, 1982. (6 years.) Reading about the very cold air after the storm would make you think it was January or early February.

During my time:

February 24-25th, 1989. Very large storm that hit the Cape and Islands. Bust everywhere else. My first large storm (I was 3 months old.)

Thanksgiving, 1989. Since when does ACK get a foot of snow? In November no less!

March 13-15, 1993. The superstorm. While the aerodrome at Nantucket reported 2 inches, my father and I measured 7 at our apartment on Old South Road. Winds gusted to 75 mph after dark.

December 28-29th, 1993. Very underrated storm. 10" at the house.

December 19-22nd, 1995. The storm came at the perfect time. Christmas vacation started that Friday afternoon. 6 inches.

January 2nd-4th, 1996. We got our snow on the back end, but I remember it snowing on the 2nd. I was in first grade then.

Blizzard of '96. Will never forget it, or cannot forget it. Will always call it "The Big Snow"(I called it that when I was in first grade.)

Feb. 16-17, 1996. PD 1.5. We got a foot.

December 23rd, 1997. Driving with my grandparents to Waltham in the snow was a very, very interesting experience.

New Year's snow of 1998/1999. Totally unforecast. Gave us 6".

March 16-17, 2004. Somewhat of a letdown. Was made right two days later.

March 19th, 2004. We got 7" while everyone else got literally nothing.

Blizzard of '05. Very underrated on Nantucket, because everyone just thinks of the Cape.

I'll post more later.

Don't remember the day but in 1969 Central Vt. got it pretty good.  School closed for three days.  17 foot drifts in the field behind the house (we measured), drifts in the front of the house to the eaves.  It took a loader all morning to clear about a quarter mile of road from the neighbor's to the crest of the hill east of the house.  My most vivid memory of the storm was a grey squirrel hanging on for dear life in the bird feeder, the wind was blowing gale force.  What the squirrel was doing out and about I have no idea.  

Ah, the memories.  We used to make tunnel systems in the drifts, a tradition was an igloo every year, one year we made an honest to god toboggan run with iced, banked corners down the field back of the house... no way you'd have enough snow for that these days.  

Could that have been right after Christmas, 1969.  That storm dumped 12-18" snow in central Maine followed by 4-7" rain, similar snow over much of NH but followed by IP/ZR, and huge snowfall in VT.  Until the freaky event of Jan 2010, this was BTV's largest, at just under 30".  There were reports of 50"+ in the southern Greens; I recall reading later in one of the ski mags that the owner of Bromley ski area was angry with VT officials who closed the roads in that area, and that folks who got to (or were marooned at) the slopes could only play in the lower elevations as farther up there were "30' drifts and 60 mph winds", and the lifts couldn't go there.

Edit:  Of course, it could've been either of the two big storms in February that year, the Lindsay storm or the late month "100 hour" event.

Archived