• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
What's Your Favorite Snowstorm

CT Rain

What snowstorm makes the top of your list? Why? I know we've done this before but I love reading the stories and reasons why.

For me the top 2 really stand alone... but there are a number of honorable mentions.

1) October 2011. Really no reason to explain this one. By far the most impressive storm of my life (though Sandy gave it a run for its money).

2) January 1996. My favorite kind of KU. Everyone cashes in... it shuts down the whole NE... and the wind whipped on the shoreline. The snow depth following that storm was incredible on the CT shoreline... only rivaled in 2/1934 and 1/2010.

--- Honorable Mentions----

February 2006 - First "real" snowstorm I covered at work. That deformation band was just insane. Sorry Ray.

April Fools '97 - total surprise foot of snow of the heaviest snow I've ever seen. Was on the shoreline and the amounts varied an incredible amount over a short distance.

Presidents Day 2003 - Didn't study for my differential equations midterm becuase I knew there was no way we'd have school at PSU. I was right... and we had some insane parties that Monday.

February 1994 back-to-back - great winter and a great set of storms that semi-jackpotted KHVN.

January 2011 - incredible storm with an incredible 45 day stretch. Also had an INCREDIBLE +TSSN from that one. Spent most of it in a live truck in Southington. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 1992....my first snowstorm I remember in ORH over 10"...despite moving back here from Texas in 1988...and it of course dumped a lot more 10"....broke the streak in style with 32.1" at the airport, 35" where I was in Holden. The first one often makes the best impression. Even if it hadn't been the first, it is basically impossible to top...esp since the forecast was for 3-6" the night before. :lol:

April 1997....33" in ORH...'nuff said.

December 23, 1997....18.0" in 5-6 hours. One of the biggest short term busts in modern history around here. 1-3" was predicted 6 hours before the storm started. Heaviest snow I have ever seen outside of the Sierra Nevada as well. 6.5" in one hour in that storm with flakes the size of silver dollars.

Honerable mention:

Double barrel Dec 1996 snowstorms (the Jim Cantore Thundersnow Bomb): Two storms about 12 hours apart (almost could be considered one storm) dump 26.3" including awesome thundersnow which is caught on live TV with Jim Cantore reporting from ORH about 1.5 miles from my house. The coolest part was seeing the lightning on TV about a second after I saw it out my window. Awesome storm.

October 12-13, 2006. Pretty obvious.

February 3-12th, 2007. 

January 10th, 1997.  Got to experience a LES storm twice. Once in BUF where we got 21", including during treacherous ride out to Cowlesville, NY for Boy Scout camping.  Then the storm reached the camp Saturday afternoon and night.  

October 12-13, 2006. Pretty obvious.

February 3-12th, 2007. 

January 10th, 1997.  Got to experience a LES storm twice. Once in BUF where we got 21", including during treacherous ride out to Cowlesville, NY for Boy Scout camping.  Then the storm reached the camp Saturday afternoon and night.  

What about Dec 1995? That was pretty epic in BUF....Dec 2001 and Nov 2000 were pretty epic too. Though obviously there are a lot of great events to choose form.

What about Dec 1995? That was pretty epic in BUF....Dec 2001 and Nov 2000 were pretty epic too. Though obviously there are a lot of great events to choose form.

It's tough because there are a lot.  Dec. 1995 was great...and I was young...but it probably had the best rates of any storm I've experienced.

I lived in NW BUF during the 2001 storm and we got about 50" so for pure accumulation I'd have to go with Feb 2007 over it.

November 2000 gets beaten out by October 12-13th, 2006.  I kinda wanted to have a diversity of events I liked for different reasons.

Grew up in se mass and moved to fl in 1999 so my best I remember is april 97. I'm hoping to experience somethin bigger soon since I'm willing to travel. Oct 11 in westminster was cool but missed the real dband so no comparisson with 2 feet of hvy wet snow in apr 97. I believe in next few years ill chase a better, or bigger event.

I wasn't here until August '04 so I'm gonna say Feb 12? 2006 storm for me.....26".....epic mega band....and then it was gone....

That stretch back in 2010 to 2011 beginning after the failed Boxing Day storm was special.....something like a 30" snowpack by thd beginning of Feb.....and then it shut off....my neighbors dog could jump over the fence the snow was so high....

I liked the Dec 19? 2008 storm.....two hours to get home on 84 from Cheshire to West Hartford....thunder snow too in that one while I had pulled off to clean thd wipers....

Of course my first New England snowfall was nice too....Nov 14? 2004.....like 3" or something....around Veterans day

It's tough because there are a lot.  Dec. 1995 was great...and I was young...but it probably had the best rates of any storm I've experienced.

I lived in NW BUF during the 2001 storm and we got about 50" so for pure accumulation I'd have to go with Feb 2007 over it.

November 2000 gets beaten out by October 12-13th, 2006.  I kinda wanted to have a diversity of events I liked for different reasons.

For me all are LES events. The October Surprise Storm stands alone as the most insane storm as well as the December 2001 1A and 1B

1.) October 12-13th 2006- 22 inches of the most heavy wet snow I've ever seen. Buffalo lost 75% of its trees during this storm. (Lived at Cheektowaga/Amherst Border)

2.) December 2001- 82 inches of snow from Monday-Friday (Lived at Cheektowaga/Amherst Border)

3.) December 9.10th 1995- 38 inches in 25 hours (Lived in the city during this time)

4.) November 20-21st 2000- 25 inches of snow in a very short period of time during rush hour. Cars stranded everywhere. (Lived at Cheektowaga/Amherst Border)

5.) December 1st-3rd 2010- 28 inches of snow within a 2 day period, places just north of me got 40 inches. 24 straight hours of thunder snow. (Lived in OP)

I was born in 1987 so obviously I wasn't alive for some of the insane storms in the late 1970s. I wish I could of seen the Blizzard of 1977 though! =(

Were you in East Aurora at the time or the Tug?

One of my best friends form college is from Lancaster, NY (right near BUF airport)...and he wrote up a little piece on the BUF blizzard of '77...most of the snow they got from that was not actual snow from the sky....but snow blowing off the frozen lake Erie...like 3-4 feet of snow on Lake Erie blown by obscene winds into the city.

2) January 1996. My favorite kind of KU. Everyone cashes in... it shuts down the whole NE... and the wind whipped on the shoreline. The snow depth following that storm was incredible on the CT shoreline... only rivaled in 2/1934 and 1/2010.

How much snow did areas of CT get from the '96 Blizzard?  I was pretty young and can't remember details from that one – thought I do recall that TWC had to make new colors on their snowfall map for all the 24"+ areas.

Amazing that despite how bad of a winter 2001-2002 was, BUF still hit a grand slam....just shows the fickle nature of LES. We had a similarly awful pattern last year, but the PV didn't set up for a time where it did in Dec 2001, so the LES never happened.

I remember we took a trip to Niagara Falls in college in January 2002, and after a couple torches, we still saw the monster piles from the LES out there. We stopped at my friends house near KBUF and the snow banks were still pretty large...even for the low water content LES and a few torches in there including an ugly rainstorm cutter.

Amazing that despite how bad of a winter 2001-2002 was, BUF still hit a grand slam....just shows the fickle nature of LES. We had a similarly awful pattern last year, but the PV didn't set up for a time where it did in Dec 2001, so the LES never happened.

I remember we took a trip to Niagara Falls in college in January 2002, and after a couple torches, we still saw the monster piles from the LES out there. We stopped at my friends house near KBUF and the snow banks were still pretty large...even for the low water content LES and a few torches in there including an ugly rainstorm cutter.

Dec 2001 wasn't super dry les...probably 15 or 20:1 type stuff.  850s average -15c or so and temps were in the 20s.  

Feb 2007 and Dec. 10th, 1995 were both very dry but epic events.

Temps were in the single digits to mid-teens in both of them with 850s below -20c.

Dec 2001 wasn't super dry les...probably 15 or 20:1 type stuff.  850s average -15c or so and temps were in the 20s.  

Feb 2007 and Dec. 10th, 1995 were both very dry but epic events.

Temps were in the single digits to mid-teens in both of them with 850s below -20c.

That might explain why the snow was still pretty impressive in Jan 2002. I was pretty surprised. It had endured a few torches.

How much snow did areas of CT get from the '96 Blizzard?  I was pretty young and can't remember details from that one – thought I do recall that TWC had to make new colors on their snowfall map for all the 24"+ areas.

Not as much around Hartford but I had over 20 in Guilford with really impressive winds. Great drifting.

One of my best friends form college is from Lancaster, NY (right near BUF airport)...and he wrote up a little piece on the BUF blizzard of '77...most of the snow they got from that was not actual snow from the sky....but snow blowing off the frozen lake Erie...like 3-4 feet of snow on Lake Erie blown by obscene winds into the city.

Crazy Storm, my dad told me that he could walk right off the 2nd floor window onto the snowbanks.

blizzard77kuwik1ab.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/bus2n.jpg/'>bus2n.jpg

snowbanksroute61feb377.jpg

Archived