Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

I snagged 2.01" this afternoon!

Woo Hooo!! That's a sweet total :D

Gotta love this time of the year where the globals spit out fantasy storms...this morning's GFS cooperates by taking a wave that's currently well developed over the Sahara Desert and puts it on South Carolina's coastline front door in 2 weeks...

I can always dream :hug::lol:

CAE recorded 2.12 on the 6th and 1.09 late yesterday/overnight :wub:

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope that translated to your yard! I've gotten .85 since Aug 3rd. A few tenths each day :) But like pennies, it adds up over time, lol. Gives me 10.25 since July 3rd. T

mby is a little over 1" short of CAE's total :lol: Hopefully we all can cash in on some good totals today :wub:

I need a new rain gauge....sigh

You sure must be in the sweet spot. Let's count this the 4th straight day of 50 to 70% POPs where I have seen nothing but beautiful partly cloudy skies. I have to say I'm a little confused at FFC's discussions as of late. I've had better chances during the typical summertime "10 to 20% chance of afternoon thunderstorms" forecasts. I remember that one of the mets on another thread posted that drought tends to remain drought, but this is ridiculous.

By the way, my station graphic is currently reporting: Thunderstorm/heavy rain/fog/mist. I can assure you none of those things are occuring anywhere around here. :facepalm:

Same boat here. Zip the last 4 days and only .47" for the month.

Excellent steady rain(s) this morning across the ILM/Tri-county area(s) today....

Cooler temps are in the Forcast, Mid-80's for the next couple days, nearly 100% chance(s) of Precip, over the course of the week...

Oh yea, southeast NC is recovering nicely from July's heat and drought. Mild 80s and useful rains is the new story here.

0.71" on Tuesday and 0.72" today; all of which fell in many individual showers allowing the ground to soak it all in.

I haven't seen any severe weather this summer... but then the tropical season is far from over.

Got hammered again 2.8 and 4+ just 8 miles south of me. I've had a minimum of 7.5 of rain IMBY since Sunday(failed to empty rain gauge after Sunday storm) and down in the Uwharrie National forest it has to be 9-10 inche plus.

Just a bit north, in the same county, I have 0.5" for the month.

Just a bit north, in the same county, I have 0.5" for the month.

I'm gonna check my gauge location on friday the next rain event. After confuring with a guy nearby It may be skewed a little bit. But none the less it;s been a welcomed event that has unfolded this week. We where getting the shaft for the longest time, but I guess its the nature of the beast with summertime convection. . The area down in the UNF in our county when I seemed to be getting missed by the hair of my chin on the few storms that would materialize in July, seemed to still manage to cash in.

You sure must be in the sweet spot. Let's count this the 4th straight day of 50 to 70% POPs where I have seen nothing but beautiful partly cloudy skies. I have to say I'm a little confused at FFC's discussions as of late. I've had better chances during the typical summertime "10 to 20% chance of afternoon thunderstorms" forecasts. I remember that one of the mets on another thread posted that drought tends to remain drought, but this is ridiculous.

By the way, my station graphic is currently reporting: Thunderstorm/heavy rain/fog/mist. I can assure you none of those things are occuring anywhere around here. :facepalm:

You said the exact same thing here that I've been complaining about to everyone...even down to the part where you say you get more when the pops are low(er). The grand total here has been a whopping 0.13 from a 5 minute shower. Sigh.

Caught this yesterday in Sanford, NC:

Video description EDITED AFTER REVIEWING RADAR DATA:

I was actually on the way to my niece's birthday party when it turned into a bit of a storm chase. I caught this cell as it was semi-discrete before it merged with a line moving southeastward. This rotation occurred just before it lost all discrete characteristics. Radar imagery shows this cell moving northeast with the rotation occurring as it crosses the outflow boundary of the line moving southeast, just before it is completely absorbed. The signature appeared to some degree on radar at the time as confirmed by NWS when I called it in (Although not deemed strong enough to issue a tornado warning I am assuming). In the video I say landspout but I was just brainstorming out loud trying to assess the situation. If anything it would have been more of a gustnado with it being due to boundary interaction.

Once again today, like has happened so many times this summer, a storm dies out right as it gets to my area. I picked up .13" for a total of .53" in the last 25 days. The lawn looks horrible. Very brown and crunchy. So when is this "wet" pattern supposed to start ?

I wish I could help you out - the "wet pattern" has been firmly established here since May (actually it goes back to January). Overall, it is worth noting that a majority of the SE has been one of the wettest places in the US for a while, although some places have not seen that evidence (Kernersville or you for example).

If there was just some way to shovel the rain and truck it down there...

This has been one of the most frustrating summer I've ever seen,this coming from someone who's observed weather in this general area for over 30 years.

There's been some sort of rain chance almost every day for over 30 days but absolutely can't buy a good rain event,it's either a close miss or something dying out as it approaches.

I don't know what's worse having a death ridge parked over you for months with no chance at all or getting screwed every day like this,sooner or later you expect to eventually get hit but we're beating all the odds here.Still very dry and need rain badly.

Carry on.

This has been one of the most frustrating summer I've ever seen,this coming from someone who's observed weather in this general area for over 30 years.

There's been some sort of rain chance almost every day for over 30 days but absolutely can't buy a good rain event,it's either a close miss or something dying out as it approaches.

I don't know what's worse having a death ridge parked over you for months with no chance at all or getting screwed every day like this,sooner or later you expect to eventually get hit but we're beating all the odds here.Still very dry and need rain badly.

Carry on.

Yeah, that's strange. There have been dry pockets here and there across the SE, but most have seen good rainfall. It's been plenty wet here.

Quite an active radar this aftn across GA and E TN

Agreed. We supposedly in Knoxville had a 40% chance of rain today just as this huge slug was headed our way. We got about a good 1" of rain at my house today - and a pretty good severe thunderstorm with trees down in west knoxville.

Had a few trees down,and lots of leaf litter from storms that blew through the Greenville,SC area.just heard of a tree down on I 85 .of course today was the 30% day.lowest chances of the week so far,and it looks like the biggest coverage of the week for Georgia and the western Carolinas.radar looks good for more to come!

No severe weather today but big time storms and lots of rain. We have had lot of rain today and still raining here. Total rain so far in and inch and a half. Had some gusty winds and lots of lightning also. Big rumbles of thunder whenever the stroms forst came through. The SE radar looks very impressive with rain and storms.

Archived