e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
August 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been an odd summer, of the 71 days so far in the met summer 6/1 through 8/10, the 42 days of 6/1 through 6/28, and 7/28 through 8/10, more than half of the summer has really not been to bad across the Triangle. In fact in that 42 day subsection, the average departure for RDU was -1.36F.

However, the 6/29 through 7/27 period (29 days) was probably the hottest stretch on record in Raleigh with an average departure of +4.38 which in mid-summer is horrible.

The rest of August looks pretty mild as well, so although our summer will likely go on record as still probably a top 10 hot summer since 1950 and top 20 hot summer since the late 1800s, it certainly was not like the last two summers where th heat seemed to extend for days and days. This was a about a 4 week heat wave, sandwiched by really not too bad of weather for a NC summer.

We may get a nice tase of fall late next weekend early the following week, with maybe a night or two of lows in the low to mid 60s east of the moutnains, and 50s in the mountains, with afternoons in the low 80s and low humidity. Heres to an early cool fall.

So you want 12 to 15" of rain in three hours? Mind if I come down and sit in a kayak and watch? :popcorn::flood:

Absolutely! :thumbsup: Although given your age, not sure you could sit in one very long or might fall out hehe :devilsmiley:

But I sure do :popcorn: my lakes and creeks are so low, I certainly need it. For example, the biggest lake has been nothing but a large mud puddle..even through the winter. I think rains like that are the only way it could get full. Creeks that used to run all the time, no longer run and haven't since 04/05 when we had all those tropical systems. (You can't even tell they were even there in fact now as I said earlier).

I sure hope we do get some tropical systems though but I'm not hopeful. It's like the lack of classic wedges/cad we have had, it seems to be very hard to come by.

And on a side note and as predicted, FFC gave very high pops and I got virtually nothing LOL. I am getting some light to moderate rain right now but it won't last very long and won't even be a tenth.

And on a side note and as predicted, FFC gave very high pops and I got virtually nothing LOL. I am getting some light to moderate rain right now but it won't last very long and won't even be a tenth.

That sucks......we got absolutely hammered last night around 3 AM by a storm that developed right on the tail end of a batch of moderate rain. Probably the worst cloud to ground lightning I've seen in 2 months. Only rained for about 15 minutes but sounded like the roof was coming down. By the way, did you ever see my post in the July banter forum about your mom's medication? It was right at the end of the month and someone started an August thread, so not sure if you ever saw it. Anyway, take a look at it, hope she's doing well.

Low of 61 degrees this morning. Looking for 40s tonight.

Your elevation will win out tonight, but tomorrow night us common folks in the valley have better shot at 40's than the higher elevations (lol). Gotta love cold air draining down into the bowl that is Cullowhee.

Going to pick up my new snowgun at Cataloochee next week. Going to be get it ready for late October; ahh a month away.

Good day. I am in my third round of, "searching for satellite - 701" Back later with totals.

Flash flood warning just issued here. Storms seem to be training over me for a change. Nothing spectacular so far with 1.11" but I can see the possibilities on radar and the reason for the warning.

Biggest bust of a system in a long time, at least imby. Lots of discussions all week about how deep and anomalous the trough is and how strong the cold front is and how there was good potential for severe weather and flooding. And between yesterday and today, I've got a whopping 0.00" in the rain gauge. Obviously, others have done better, but with this type of air mass, and the supposed dynamical and anomalous system, I'm a bit surprised by the standard run-of-the-mill results. Maybe I need to be patient....maybe we'll get more rain this evening....

One brief 4 minute shower earlier this afternoon - looks like everything else is going to be way northwest or 10 miles southeast, unless that void from Charlotte to Fayetteville suddenly fills in. Been a pretty anemic week of rain around here, compared to what everyone else has been posting. Last 3 days have been .12", 0.0" & a trace yesterday.

513 PM EDT SAT AUG 11 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EDGECOMBE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

SOUTHEASTERN WILSON COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL 615 PM EDT

* AT 512 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

TORNADO OVER STANTONSBURG...OR 13 MILES WEST OF FARMVILLE...MOVING

NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

WILLBANKS...

MACCLESFIELD...

PINETOPS...CONETOE..

PRINCEVILLE...SPEED...

Its currently 65 here and the windows are open with a box fan. I experienced some of the closest lightning Ive ever had last night. We had a solid minute of constant strikes all around our house. My wife was freaking out. We got 1" from the storm. Im at 1.9" MTD. I also got some good lightning pictures from a storm at dusk that passed just to the north.

Archived