e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
August 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No severe weather today but big time storms and lots of rain. We have had lot of rain today and still raining here. Total rain so far in and inch and a half. Had some gusty winds and lots of lightning also. Big rumbles of thunder whenever the stroms forst came through. The SE radar looks very impressive with rain and storms.

Do you have a yearly total? It seems like you've had a ton of rain.

Do you have a yearly total? It seems like you've had a ton of rain.

I will have to figure it up. Ya you are right though. Right were I live I have had a lot of rain. We moved from one end of the county to the other end the first of July. Seems like we get hammered every couple days. The grass has been growing at an unreal rate but the garden has done great and the corn fields have looked the best this summer than the past several summers. From my post on here From the first of July to the current date I have recieved 13.2 inches of rain including todays total so far which it is raining lightly again.

Lookout shouldn't be whining after this afternoon. Lots of storms in his area.

I finally got some action today at just under 1"

It really came down earlier as I recorded .39" in just 10 minutes.

yeah, I finally got some decent rain today as well with 2 separate thunderstorms. Even though many places scattered here and there have seen storms in the past 30 days or so, its been a long time since I've seen a radar in north Georgia look like it did this afternoon. The coverage was fantastic.

Knoxville probably got more than I thought I did. TYS picked up 2.20" of rain and 1.60" of that was in an hour. We got a pretty good soaking today - and weekend temps look to be fantastic for early August.

Yes this weekend looks fall like. They have me in the 70s and lows in the 50s! Beautiful for this time of the year and if the teleconnections are on to something in about 10 more days we could be looking at even cooler temps.

Should be solid to very good chances for more showers and storms tomorrow through Sunday morning as the front slowly plows through the SE. As we've gone through the week, the trend on the models has been to close off the upper low in the Great Lakes and this slows the progression of the cold front, leading to a slower arrival of the dry air behind the front.

Yes this weekend looks fall like. They have me in the 70s and lows in the 50s! Beautiful for this time of the year and if the teleconnections are on to something in about 10 more days we could be looking at even cooler temps.

It's fantastic. I think I'm going to do a high elevation hike up to Mt. Sterling on Saturday morning due to the weather. Either that or I'm going to bike a while.

Unless we have a potent Indian Summer, it looks like the bulk of the summer heat is behind us, thankfully. Of course I could jinx it by saying that...

It's fantastic. I think I'm going to do a high elevation hike up to Mt. Sterling on Saturday morning due to the weather. Either that or I'm going to bike a while.

Unless we have a potent Indian Summer, it looks like the bulk of the summer heat is behind us, thankfully. Of course I could jinx it by saying that...

Mt. Sterling would be a great hike. Pretty much in my backyard from were I live. Yes the temp up there would be brisk and refreshing. Ya I think we could see a short warm up but nothing like we saw in July I don't think.

Lookout shouldn't be whining after this afternoon. Lots of storms in his area.

I finally got some action today at just under 1"

It really came down earlier as I recorded .39" in just 10 minutes.

:o Whining? Whining?! Watch it or I'll ban you :P;)

But you are right, I FINALLY got some good rain..picked up 1.55. At 2 points, rain was coming down as hard as 4 to 5 inches per hour (what I wouldn't give to have that for 3 hours straight or something lol) Radar estimated totals from gsp/ffc though showed (and I can confirm)that not that far away quite a bit more fell but I'm not complaining, that's for sure.

yeah, I finally got some decent rain today as well with 2 separate thunderstorms. Even though many places scattered here and there have seen storms in the past 30 days or so, its been a long time since I've seen a radar in north Georgia look like it did this afternoon. The coverage was fantastic.

:thumbsup: That's good to hear.

Interestingly the pops were only 40%. ...which oddly fits into both of our perceptions that lower pops seem to get more results for you and me. We have high pops today which means we probably won't get anything :arrowhead:

This has been one of the most frustrating summer I've ever seen,this coming from someone who's observed weather in this general area for over 30 years.

There's been some sort of rain chance almost every day for over 30 days but absolutely can't buy a good rain event,it's either a close miss or something dying out as it approaches.

I don't know what's worse having a death ridge parked over you for months with no chance at all or getting screwed every day like this,sooner or later you expect to eventually get hit but we're beating all the odds here.Still very dry and need rain badly.

Carry on.

We had another 1.33" overnight and that puts us at 4.44 so far for the month. Hard to believe you have been missed (especially last night) being that close to me, but it happens...

Looking at the NAM 4...Western North Carolina in particular could be very active over the next 24 hours...the first wave of storms develops along the escarpment around 5-6 pm. Then it shows two separate waves of heavy strataform rain between 0z and 6z.

The resolution of this model may be doing some overwork in regards to the action after dark, it may just be one main slug that moves across, but we'll see. The NAM 4 was pretty spot-on with yesterday's action...

Models have been out of whack with what to do in the mid and extended range, but I think persistence prevails, and we continue with troughing in the east. Here's the Euro Ensemble in the extended showing ridging north of Canada, lowered heights across the Conus, with troughing in the east.

That's not far from being a good setup in the heart of Winter. :)

House is shaking...line of storms about to hit. Areal flood advisory issued for Wilkes. Very intense lightning.

EDIT

That scared the living **** out of me. Lightning hit my house or something and I heard noises I can not even explain. Very weird... electrical noises I guess and my internet went out. Xbox/TV froze. So loud it made my heart beat really fast.

Didn't really need a few inches of rain, probably some flooded roads out there tonight.

Archived