CHSVol
August 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fog this morning,

= 1 Winter Storm

Sigh. Looks like its time for a repost of my winter southern folklore.

Top Six Southern Winter Folklore Sayings

1. If you count the morning fogs in August you will know how many August mornings were foggy.

2. A heavy crop of acorns will lead to fatter then average squirrels the next spring.

3. If it thunders in winter, 10 days later it will have happened 10 days ago.

4. If you study the bands of the wooly worm you will know how many are brown and how many are black.

5. Snow that lays on the ground for more than three days is dirty.

6. A ring around the moon means your Lasik surgeon screwed up.

From GSP (LOL at the bolded)....

MUCH OF THE LATE MORNING INTO EARLY AFTERNOON SHOULD BE MARKED WITH

DNVA ACROSS OUR AREA. THE NAM ACTUALLY IS DEVELOPING AN AREA OF

ORGANIZED CONVECTION BY 12Z ACROSS THE UPPER SAVANNAH RIVER

VALLEY...AHEAD OF THE SOUTHWEST TAIL OF THE VORT MAX. THIS IS

INTERESTING...BUT IT SHOULD ALSO BE SAID THAT THE NAM NEVER ALLOWS

SBCAPE TO FALL BELOW 3000 J/KG THIS MORNING. AS OF 07Z...THE CAPE IN

THIS AREAS WAS LESS THAN 500 J/KG PER SPC MESOANALYSIS. THE NAM JUST

HAS COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC THERMO PROFILES FOR MUCH OF THE DAY (CAPE

> 4000 BY 15Z). IN FACT...IT DEVELOPS A SECOND CLUSTER OF CONVECTION

THIS AFTERNOON ALMOST IN THE SAME PLACE AS THIS MORNING/S. VERY

LITTLE ABOUT THE NAM MAKES A LOT OF SENSE TODAY. THEREFORE...IT HAS

ESSENTIALLY BEEN DISREGARDED IN FAVOR OF THE MORE MUTED GFS AND

SREF. THIS MEANS POPS WILL REMAIN IN THE SLIGHT TO LOW CHANCE RANGE

DURING THE AFTERNOON/EVENING. WITH PLENTY OF MID-LEVEL DRY AIR IN

PLACE...AN ISOLATED SEVERE STORM WILL BE POSSIBLE...MAINLY ACROSS

THE SOUTHERN AND SOUTHEAST ZONES.

Oops looks like I was reporting last nights storm in the July thread...Amazing lightning storm with hail, wind, and flooding rains for over one hour near North Wilkesboro.

08/02/2012 1248 am

Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by law enforcement.

Trees and powerlines reported down around North

Wilkesboro with power out across much of the area.

325ba3518a113dea587d646db7ba7dd4.gif

Like WilkesboroDude, I got to experience that crazy lightning storm last night:

I was taking my young kids on their first camping trip last night. We stayed in Price Lake Campground outside Blowing Rock, NC. I had no idea it was going to storm last night, but we had some crazy intense lightning and thunder around 12 PM last night. It had to last somewhere between 30-60 minutes, and it was intense! The kids weren't quite sure what was going on, but fortunately my youngest slept right through it. It was one of those storms where the lightning was so frequent that the thunder was just constant and it echoed and rolled across the valleys between the mountains. The weirdest thing, though, was that we only got like 30 raindrops or so while we were serenaded for almost an hour. When we returned home earlier today, I saw that I had picked up 0.29 inch overnight from those same storms here in Hickory. Not a bad start to August after the very wet July!

In the latest U.S. Drought Monitor, the Exceptional Drought is now expanding northward and includes parts of Metro Atlanta, including South Fulton, Fayette, and Coweta counties. An amazing 25 % of the state is now an exceptional drought and with the upcoming dry season i'm afraid that will only get worse unless we get a tropical storm to move through. Meanwhile, hardly anyone in North Carolina is in any drought at all. I find it absolutely amazing how one state can be in such a horrible drought, while a nearby state can be in no drought. Another example is Arkansas. 100% of Arkansas is in a drought and 45% in an exceptional drought ! Next door in Louisiana, nearly 70% of the state is in no drought and 0% is in an exceptional drought.

In the latest U.S. Drought Monitor, the Exceptional Drought is now expanding northward and includes parts of Metro Atlanta, including South Fulton, Fayette, and Coweta counties. An amazing 25 % of the state is now an exceptional drought and with the upcoming dry season i'm afraid that will only get worse unless we get a tropical storm to move through. Meanwhile, hardly anyone in North Carolina is in any drought at all. I find it absolutely amazing how one state can be in such a horrible drought, while a nearby state can be in no drought. Another example is Arkansas. 100% of Arkansas is in a drought and 45% in an exceptional drought ! Next door in Louisiana, nearly 70% of the state is in no drought and 0% is in an exceptional drought.

So, here is the map to back it up. That is pretty wild: how different the hydrological conditions can be over such a short distance. Perhaps one of the mets could comment on what has caused such dry conditions for GA while NC has enjoyed exceptional rainfall recently.

I must say that it is nice to see NC pretty much drought free. A few short years ago, we were in the same boat as you GA posters are now. So, I can feel your pain.

southeast_dm.png

Tracking some strong-severe thunderstorms across the GA this afternoon. My model pointing out areas from Macon-Moody-Ft Stewart areas with highest potential for severe weather. Possibility of seeing some heavy rains, hail up to 1", wind potential of around 70-80mph across the area. Looking at indices: LI around -7, SFC CAPE around 2,600 J/KG, 0-3KM CAPE around 217 J/KG in the GA areas. Thoughts....

Like WilkesboroDude, I got to experience that crazy lightning storm last night:

Same here between 4 and 6 this morning. Lots of lightning and thunder but only .04" of precip. A ninety pound dog diving on top of me woke me right up. At least that proved my wife wrong. She says I can sleep through anything.

So, here is the map to back it up. That is pretty wild: how different the hydrological conditions can be over such a short distance. Perhaps one of the mets could comment on what has caused such dry conditions for GA while NC has enjoyed exceptional rainfall recently.

I must say that it is nice to see NC pretty much drought free. A few short years ago, we were in the same boat as you GA posters are now. So, I can feel your pain.

southeast_dm.png

I'm sorry, but I can't believe for a second that this chart is accurate. At least at my house in Kernersville (between Winston and GSO) it isn't right. We have a running joke around my neighborhood that someone keeps activating the "rain dome". Every time we have rain in the area it splits or dries up. My current conditions in my yard and neighborhood would be bone dry, cracked ground and earth about 3/4" from my foundation, maple trees all yellowed and dropping leaves like crazy (looks like fall when the wind blows) and nary a green blade of grass in sight except around drains. Even put the boat in the water at Belews lake this afternoon and noticed the water level dropped about 2' since two weeks ago. (granted the power plant could be involved there)

It's damn dry......regardless of what that chart may say.

Wow, wow, mole mojo surpasses!! Less that 24 hours since I invoked them, and I'm up to 1 1/2 and still pouring, just pouring. Major lightening and thunder, and heavy, heavy rains. Hope Justin is catching some of this. T

Oops...sorry J, I just looked at the radar. Give it time. I think tunneling under the mtns you've got there, is cramping their style :)

July was just a terrible month in the rainfall department here. 1.23" was our total which makes it the driest month of 2012 so far. It's pretty funny how July was so dry for me while everyone else got hammered.

I did a little research on CoCoRaHS about how bad I got screwed during July. Here's what I found...

Station 2 miles to my south- 3.47" in July

Station 2 miles to my southwest- 3.55" in July

Me- 1.23" in July

2012 so far- 20.18"

I really hope August is wetter!

(From the other thread)

I know how you feel. It always seems like everyone around me gets a lot more than I do. What makes it so bad, as you point out, is it's just a few miles away. If it was 20 or 30 miles, that's one, but 2 or 3 miles is like a spit in the face. Mother nature can be very cruel lol. And it happened again to me yesterday with storms all around but nothing here. At least, there is a decent chance for the foreseeable future though. It sure beats those years where we go weeks without any chance of rain at all. So hopefully you will make up for it in the coming days.

I did better than you did but only because of one night (when I wasn't here...and sometimes I wonder if it's me because it always seems like it rains when I'm not here), where I got two inches. So I ended up with around 3.5 inches for the month.

To show you how bad things have been for so long and how low the water table has dropped, I took a walk the other day..following a small creek that I always used to walk when I was little, especially after a big rain.(which was so fun because this creek was impressive back then after one). It used to have a small to medium size spring at it's start point and It ran almost all year, even during dry times in the summer when I was young. Now, even if it's "wet" it doesn't run or if it does it's just runoff and nothing permanent and dries up in a matter of hours..if that long and the spring obviously has stopped for a long time. It has been this way so long that you can barely tell there was ever any creek there. Trees, 10 to 15 years old, growing where the creek was with bushes too. And the creek, or I should say what used to be the creek, has been filled up with dirt, leaves, etc...leaving very little sign it was ever there.

It was really depressing because I spent so many hours when I was young walking that creek and to see it virtually erased was just terrible.

Not sure if I mentioned this but my uncle said something interesting a little while back that I actually had not thought about or paid much attention to. He's lived here his entire life and besides him saying storms were a lot more common when he was growing up or in years past (which I've heard from all the older folks), he said it seems rain drops are a lot smaller than they used to be. And I got to thinking about that and I think he's absolutely right. If true, I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the pollution from atlanta, gainesville, athens, etc which have grown a lot and are upstream from me most of the time with respect to wind, storm movements, etc.. And with more particles in the air, it makes sense the moisture/drops would have more to latch on to and thus effect the size. I wonder if there has been any studies on the evolution of rain drop size over the years and it's effect on actual rainfall amounts.

Regardless, the fact the water table has been so low for so long to actually effect a creek that has been there and ran all the time his entire life up until the last decade or so (he's 62 btw), is pretty bad. And it's not because of any changes above where the creek started, such as new ditches, trees, bushes, et. It's exactly the same as it always has been. So it's not that. It's the long term effect of decreased rainfall.

Indeed, talking to my dad, the back end of his yard was always wet and had craw fish holes. They too have been gone for a long time. So all of this really speaks volumes imo

I'm sorry, but I can't believe for a second that this chart is accurate. At least at my house in Kernersville (between Winston and GSO) it isn't right. We have a running joke around my neighborhood that someone keeps activating the "rain dome". Every time we have rain in the area it splits or dries up. My current conditions in my yard and neighborhood would be bone dry, cracked ground and earth about 3/4" from my foundation, maple trees all yellowed and dropping leaves like crazy (looks like fall when the wind blows) and nary a green blade of grass in sight except around drains. Even put the boat in the water at Belews lake this afternoon and noticed the water level dropped about 2' since two weeks ago. (granted the power plant could be involved there)

It's damn dry......regardless of what that chart may say.

Another reason to be suspicious - I am no where close to being dry - very opposite to the proclaimations of that map.

In fact:

truthjw.png

8.1 since July 3rd, but unlike that spoiled, lucky, show off, Cheez, I've gotten all, but 1.3, in 3 distinct, several hour, packages, so it still seems like a severe drought here, most days, lol. I have to say, though, I've had many cloudy days sans rain, which is fine with me in summer. If I can't have rain, at least cloud up, and keep it cooler!!

I'm wanting a hurricane now. If I have to have all my rain at once, let me have a foot in 6 hours :) Come on, Moles! T

Another reason to be suspicious - I am no where close to being dry - very opposite to the proclaimations of that map.

In fact:

truthjw.png

Yeah, I get the "micro-climate" comment. But still, most of the piedmont triad looks like my backyard. So my micro-climate can't be that far off. Also, I said the maple trees were yellow and dropping leaves. Upon further inspection, its the poplars, not the maples. I found a couple of them in my neighborhood today that have dropped 90% of their leaves already.

Just so I am clear - I hate the term "microclimate". We all live in a microclimate, yet our national numbers reflect broad strokes. That makes my area irrelevant to the discussion, yet I'm still lumped in with the larger picture. It is a flawed science at best.

Archived