• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
August 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

Looking at the 12z model suite, I'm starting to believe that areas of Alabama, Georgia and the Western half of the Carolinas are going to have a chance to rack up on rainfall totals through all of this week.

There is a strong 850 vort max and surface circulation currently moving west in the Southern third of Georgia...that low will eventually stall over South Alabama for a couple days and then come northward generally near or along the I-85 cooridor eventually reaching North Georgia by Day 3-4. Look at the similarities between the GFS and European in that timeframe...

Day 3 (Euro)

12zeurotropical850mbVortSLP048.gif

GFS

12zgfstropical850mbVortSLP072.gif

Day 4...

12zeurotropical850mbVortSLP096.gif

12zgfstropical850mbVortSLP096.gif

The 5-Day QPF is a very good depiction of the track of our upper low during the upcoming work week and which areas may stand to benefit...

12zgfsday1-5120.gif

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a 9" on-the-nose rainfall total in July, August has begun with a bang. 3.09" has fallen already this month, 2.19" of which fell during Friday's deluge. Of that, a little less than 2" fell in an hour, causing major flash flooding across town. Several houses flooded, as did many downtown Erwin businesses. Many yards became rivers and lakes, and cars stalled in deep water.

post-1466-0-31451300-1344195288_thumb.jp

post-1466-0-01610000-1344195294_thumb.jp

post-1466-0-50201200-1344195301_thumb.jp

post-1466-0-43677700-1344195307_thumb.jp

Band moving north, south of me, a line moving south, north of me. Looks like somewhere in Ga. these lines are going to meet with a splash! Got to love the potential tropical spice to things this time of year. T

I don't know, from the look of the radar, it looks like everything is pretty much evaporating as usual as it nears north Georgia. Hopefully, a pop up storm can get me this evening, otherwise, another "increased chance of precip day" with nothing but sunny skies!

Seeing these pics of all the rainfall just kills me. In the 10 years I have lived in Kernersville it has never been this dry. I mowed today for the first time in 4 weeks and had to wear a dust mask (first time ever). Mulch is 1" off the foundation, ground has 1/2" cracks, stone retaining walls are free standing since the dirt has receeded from the wall, grass is gone ( I mean down to the dirt gone) in many places. Any rain that falls in a storm will simply be runoff. I need a wet month just to jump start any growth at all before the fall.

God Bless those folks in the midwest who are struggling to feed the rest of us. I feel bad complaining about my grass and trees.

Getting plastered. Over 2 inches and well on my way to 3+. The Shutout Ive endured the past month is finally over for MBY and corner of the world. I'll go out and get an accurate read on the rain gauge when it quits. oppurtunities looking good this week.

Missed it all here. I just finished mowing and I could see the storm that nailed you to the south.

Missed it all here. I just finished mowing and I could see the storm that nailed you to the south.

Ended up with 2.3. Just looked at the storm total radar Raleigh CWA and very isolated event. My fescue has been toasted and I haven't had to mow in 3 weeks, but yesterday I had to get up leaves (and it wasn't just a few). Been a rough 6-7 weeks here. Hopefully everyone else who's been missing out can get hit over the next few days. Sept/Oct can't get here fast enough.

Ended up with 2.3. Just looked at the storm total radar Raleigh CWA and very isolated event. My fescue has been toasted and I haven't had to mow in 3 weeks, but yesterday I had to get up leaves (and it wasn't just a few). Been a rough 6-7 weeks here. Hopefully everyone else who's been missing out can get hit over the next few days. Sept/Oct can't get here fast enough.

I agree with the bolded :lol: I'm sitting here watching preseason football dreaming of cooler temps, color in the trees and cad :wub:

Once again the 5 day QPF looks good, showing 2-4" over a large area of the SE. I'm taking it with a grain of salt until it actually falls, though. The last 2 'big' 5 day events I was looking forward to netted less than an inch each time, one of them under .25" during the 'widespread 3-5" totals expected".

Today looked really promising for a while, the way the radar lit up with popcorn showers everywhere this morning, and we actually got hit by 3 of them, collecting several hundredths...then things shifted west or east, or washed out as they are prone to do with little steering currents, and once again we listened to someone elses thunder when things popped up 5 miles away.

1.98" of rain fell tonight. Crazy, huh? Five to six inches dumped on the Town of Unicoi, causing major flash flooding. Several emergency shelters are open, and The Red Cross is assisting. Several roads and bridges have washed away, and many homes are flooded.

Meanwhile, Johnson City experienced similar problems. Downtown Johnson City is notorious for flooding problems, and today proved to be no exception. The Mall at Johnson City also experienced flooding issues, particularly in the mall's parking lots and lower-level food court.

Here's a full article:

http://johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=101697

Looks like a little moisture is trying to come in off the coast into the Midlands of SC, but yesterday was quite a fail around here. Just to our north a hefty storm dropped some good rain. From the Lake, I could almost touch the rain it was so close.

1.98" of rain fell tonight. Crazy, huh? Five to six inches dumped on the Town of Unicoi, causing major flash flooding. Several emergency shelters are open, and The Red Cross is assisting. Several roads and bridges have washed away, and many homes are flooded.

Meanwhile, Johnson City experienced similar problems. Downtown Johnson City is notorious for flooding problems, and today proved to be no exception. The Mall at Johnson City also experienced flooding issues, particularly in the mall's parking lots and lower-level food court.

Here's a full article:

http://johnsoncitypr...e.php?id=101697

Impressive. You've been in the jackpot zone lately.

Nice spin currently located over Southwest Georgia is expected to slowly move north over the next 24-36 hours...that along with the front which is getting hung up across the Appalachians will be setting the table for a pretty good rain event starting late this afternoon...

20120806_1355_sm_CLT_vis.jpg

Models are showing a robust shortwave digging into the Great Lakes in the Thurs-Fri timeframe. This drags what looks to be the most significant cold front we've seen since May into the SE. Bottom line, chances for showers and storms increase late in the week as the front pushes into our perma-warm, humid air. All of the modeling have the front penetrating toward coastal areas. It's possible that this is overdone, but the ensemble support is there for a significant front to dig well into the SE.

I have been fielding phone calls since late yesterday for water in basements and flooding issues. It sucks that a normal flood policy won't cover flooding, but that's how it goes.

Several homes were washed from their foundations in the dry creek area of carter county (Elizabethton) last night. Swift water rescues were common. After having over 12 inches of rain last month our ground just can't handle it anymore. Even north JC (which doesn't have a problem with flooding, had SEVERAL areas of pretty severe flooding. This is a once in 100 year type flood event and deserving of its own thread, I just don't have the time to put it together.

From Raleigh regarding late week...

A COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH AN ANOMALOUSLY STRONG LOW PRESSURE

SYSTEM WILL IMPACT CENTRAL NC AT THE END OF THE WEEK. THE UPPER

LEVEL LOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER CANADA ON WEDNESDAY AND TRACK

SOUTH AND EAST THROUGH MICHIGAN EARLY FRIDAY AND DEEPEN AS IT MOVES

OVER THE GREAT LAKES INTO THE WEEKEND. HAVE MAINLY GONE WITH A BLEND

OF THE ECMWF AND THE 12Z GFS AS THEY ARE IN FAIRLY GOOD AGREEMENT

AND SEEM TO HANDLE THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM THE BEST. THE COLD FRONT

ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM SHOULD MOVE INTO THE AREA AROUND MID DAY

FRIDAY...BRINGING WITH IT THE POTENTIAL FOR STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS

TO DEVELOP. THE 12Z GFS GENERATES 1500-2000 J/KG OF SURFACE BASED

CAPE OVER CENTRAL NC FRIDAY AFTERNOON...0-6 KM BULK SHEAR VALUES OF