• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
August 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

I have been fielding phone calls since late yesterday for water in basements and flooding issues. It sucks that a normal flood policy won't cover flooding, but that's how it goes.

Several homes were washed from their foundations in the dry creek area of carter county (Elizabethton) last night. Swift water rescues were common. After having over 12 inches of rain last month our ground just can't handle it anymore. Even north JC (which doesn't have a problem with flooding, had SEVERAL areas of pretty severe flooding. This is a once in 100 year type flood event and deserving of its own thread, I just don't have the time to put it together.

Done. When you have time, drop by and fill in the gaps I left. I've only received so much information, as many of my contacts either live in Johnson City or Unicoi County.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One hour storm = almost 2.5 inches of rain in Hildebran, NC.

It was one of the heaviest storms I have seen.

Anyone east of the mountains tonight, you may see one of these storms and they will produce very heavy rainfall. Models are showing numerous developments once that coastal wave interacts with the mid level disturbance over the foothills and piedmont, so we will see what happens. With epic flooding in Tennessee yesterday, it may happen east of the mountains tonight and tomorrow.

I'm sure this is not perfect, but it does capture some of the departures that we've seen from various posters, like the negative departures in some areas west of Raleigh toward Greensboro, around Wilmington, and in parts of Georgia...with positive anomalies east of Raleigh toward Greenville, NC, and in the NC Foothills. I'm not as in tune with the heavy positive departures in the SC lowcountry, far SE GA and N FL. It also shows the large-scale drought in the heartland.

I have been fielding phone calls since late yesterday for water in basements and flooding issues. It sucks that a normal flood policy won't cover flooding, but that's how it goes.

Several homes were washed from their foundations in the dry creek area of carter county (Elizabethton) last night. Swift water rescues were common. After having over 12 inches of rain last month our ground just can't handle it anymore. Even north JC (which doesn't have a problem with flooding, had SEVERAL areas of pretty severe flooding. This is a once in 100 year type flood event and deserving of its own thread, I just don't have the time to put it together.

Unreal footage coming out of downtown JC and Dry creek. The only flooding I can even compare this to is when the Smokies flooded in the early 90s - moving boulders the size of cars. Just devestating to many parts of Johnson City and the surrounding mountain communities.

0.13 in the gauge from yesterday...clouds have been very thick until the past half hour, the sun has now appeared. We'll see what happens later this afternoon.

Also, still got the weak meso-low along the GA/AL border moving slowly northeast...models have had a tough time in accurately predicting its movement.

The bottom fell out right about the time I got home from work (1640). Radar estimates have us at about 2" so far today, and our backyard is flooded about a third of the way up.

I wish I could have gotten pictures of the first part of the storm; I could see the updrafts being sucked up just before I got into the rain.

another storm early this morning, adding another .47" :thumbsup:

You sure must be in the sweet spot. Let's count this the 4th straight day of 50 to 70% POPs where I have seen nothing but beautiful partly cloudy skies. I have to say I'm a little confused at FFC's discussions as of late. I've had better chances during the typical summertime "10 to 20% chance of afternoon thunderstorms" forecasts. I remember that one of the mets on another thread posted that drought tends to remain drought, but this is ridiculous.

By the way, my station graphic is currently reporting: Thunderstorm/heavy rain/fog/mist. I can assure you none of those things are occuring anywhere around here. :facepalm:

Those storms between Gastonia and Charlotte look pretty intense ,and almost stationary.anybody got total,or any info on flooding?

Yeah no doubt, big time rains have hit Mecklenburg over the past 3 hours and not a peep...Where's Burger when you need him?

The whole southern half of the county has 2+ inches and nearly 6 inches around Carowinds...

Once again today, like has happened so many times this summer, a storm dies out right as it gets to my area. I picked up .13" for a total of .53" in the last 25 days. The lawn looks horrible. Very brown and crunchy. So when is this "wet" pattern supposed to start ?

I feel for ya. That happens to me all the time. I watch storms move in from any direction and they seem to break up right before they get to my house. I get a little anvil mist before the sun comes back out. The shields are functioning properly, I guess.

Archived