CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
August 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I get the "micro-climate" comment. But still, most of the piedmont triad looks like my backyard. So my micro-climate can't be that far off. Also, I said the maple trees were yellow and dropping leaves. Upon further inspection, its the poplars, not the maples. I found a couple of them in my neighborhood today that have dropped 90% of their leaves already.

With poplars, it's common for some of the leaves to turn yellow and drop early, typically in August....but dry conditions can exacerbate the issue.

1.1 tonight. That's 3 inches in two nights. It's feast or famine around here, but, dang, that mole mojo works for me :)

9.2 in the 30 days since I called up the moles the first time. Man, I hope they are as good with sleet!!! \

If they pull in a hurricane, I'll be thrilled....but frightened, lol. T

I didn't hit the jackpot but I would call it a second place prize. Well over an inch probably close to 2" in the bucket this afternoon. I will get an accurate measurement once everything dies down this evening. Very localized rainfall centered over mby. :flood:

Cool. I got over an inch as well. Heaviest rain since late June.

Cool. I got over an inch as well. Heaviest rain since late June.

Way to go J!! I've got heavy blinding rain again right now. 3d day in a row. I'm going to have to retire the moles as I don't want too much, but I want to see if they can haul in something from the tropics :) T

A quick .6, and now the sun's out with gentle rain still falling.

Thunder started rumbling to our south about 20 minutes ago, coming from rapidly building towers that were still a picturesque puffy-white with outlying wisps of grey. Radar had only a couple of token 15dBZ spots at the time.

In the last 10 minutes it's started getting its act together and is now varying shades of grey, darkening rapidly, headed our way, and starting to sound like a real summertime storm. Nice cooling outflow. After the taunts of this last week, where we had stuff pulsing on everyone all around and leaving us with only the uber-humid muggy air, I'm looking forward to this!

I'm starting to think tomorrow and tomorrow night has a lot of potential for scattered areas of heavy rainfall especially for parts of Georgia and the Carolinas.

Frontal boundary coming into the Tennessee Valley/Carolina, decent southeast flow due to a combination of the Bermuda High and a developing upper low in the Gulf of Mexico...and the moisture content from INVEST 91L.

Right now its hard to tell exactly where it will set up but I think a couple pockets of heavy rainfall could occur. The influx of moisture from the Atlantic could reach the Southern Appalachian Region by tomorrow evening...the escarpment could wring some of that out during the overnight hours...

I'm starting to think tomorrow and tomorrow night has a lot of potential for scattered areas of heavy rainfall especially for parts of Georgia and the Carolinas.

Frontal boundary coming into the Tennessee Valley/Carolina, decent southeast flow due to a combination of the Bermuda High and a developing upper low in the Gulf of Mexico...and the moisture content from INVEST 91L.

Right now its hard to tell exactly where it will set up but I think a couple pockets of heavy rainfall could occur. The influx of moisture from the Atlantic could reach the Southern Appalachian Region by tomorrow evening...the escarpment could wring some of that out during the overnight hours...

I hope so.. the mosquitoes are beginning to getting dessicated around here,

Good for you, Mr. Metal. You look to maybe have some good days for a while. It'd be nice if the rest of the summer could get you well :) The rain we've been getting, a lot us in the dry parts of Ga., is bing and purge rain, and it just isn't the best. I've had heavy rain onto very hard ground, most of which runs off; and, though the ground does soften up, ready for the next rain to soak in more, it waits two weeks of sunny 90's before it rains again, lol. Looks great on paper, but I can see the plant life is suffering. Don't know when I've ever felt this dry, after having so much rain in a month. If the rain I've gotten in the last few days is the last for a week, I"ll be right back in the desert. I'd be better off with half the rain, but coming every two or three days. Need a good pattern shift, and maybe a hurrican can help that happen. T

Archived