• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Thursday's storm ...Rain, wind, snow and ice?

OKpowdah

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah noirmally they are weaker lows coming out of the lakes or OH Valley...but the Dec 2008 ice storm definitely bucked that trend...pretty potent coastal low that crushed us...its also what made that event feel weird...we were gusting to like 25 knots in the middle of an ice storm...usually the winds are quite light. That typical light northerly drain. But in that storm, we had like 25 knots ripping from 020, lol.

December 2008 isn't on an island either. There were two other significant icing events (> 0.50") I found in my research that featured a more classic coastal low. November 2002, though the high was stronger and anchored a lot closer to New England, and the probably more closely matched January 1994. That storm was a lot of snow for SNE, but coastal locations got a nasty ice storm out of it. I remember enough ice glazed over the snow to support your weight. Parts of South County, RI ended up with over an inch of ice.

But there you had a coastal go south of SNE and the high nosing over and sustaining CAD. So not the norm, but maybe 1 of every 6 true ice storms come about that way.

I was speaking of on air Mets and some real jaded folks here. I will say this though, any other year if the GEFS was showing a -5 SD 850 inflow with solid -0 850 s like this, there would be some real gung Ho forecasts. This is impressive for an ENS forecast, slow mover too. If this is right its going to dump a lot closer to the coast than most think

de10e19b.jpg

07e408c1.jpg

12cc4f48.jpg

Well the GEFS are so far south, they allow for strong inflow like that. The 850 low is south of ACK. And yes in most winters, we would have been talking warning snow for the area.

Attitude adjustment... we're all living under the hex of Winter 2011-12... our standards are appropriate for October/November, not January. Any other winter, this SLP track and 850 contour in January... we'd be honking a solid ice/snow potential for most of SNE.

I was speaking of on air Mets and some real jaded folks here. I will say this though, any other year if the GEFS was showing a -5 SD 850 inflow with solid -0 850 s like this, there would be some real gung Ho forecasts. This is impressive for an ENS forecast, slow mover too. If this is right its going to dump a lot closer to the coast than most think

de10e19b.jpg

07e408c1.jpg

12cc4f48.jpg

December 2008 isn't on an island either. There were two other significant icing events (> 0.50") I found in my research that featured a more classic coastal low. November 2002, though the high was stronger and anchored a lot closer to New England, and the probably more closely matched January 1994. That storm was a lot of snow for SNE, but coastal locations got a nasty ice storm out of it. I remember enough ice glazed over the snow to support your weight. Parts of South County, RI ended up with over an inch of ice.

But there you had a coastal go south of SNE and the high nosing over and sustaining CAD. So not the norm, but maybe 1 of every 6 true ice storms come about that way.

I was living in SRI South County, how's heavy rain and 9 degrees ? Best ice storm of my life but truly a bummer to rain at 9 degrees.

If the antecedent air mass was better, I'd be hitting this event really hard. But its killing us in this setup. However, there is still a pretty good singal for frozen even with this putrid air mass. The high location and strength is almost identical to the Dec 2008 ice storm...so if the mid-levels end up warmer, there is definitely a threat for ice. That said, this could still end up snowier.

Based on what... ?

Philosophy: The idea that the runs have been steadily colder in the antecedent environment, doing so with real physical marker that suggests it should, has just as much merit as looking at a snap shot of the model blend and seeing boundary layer troubles. Not you per se, but I was sneaking reads of post after post at work that was just that.

If its me, I take my chances with trend any day. I'm at least 50% confident and about ready to pull the trigger and go to 75%, which is pretty darn good one should think for 4 days out andhaving persistence notwithstanding. There is more than a mere palpable vibe going on around here that the says people are ~ 10%, and there's really little if any justification for that degree of cold weather-type pessimism quite frankly.

This isn't directed at Will, per se, but is a general statement: People, please take your head out of your asses? Lord knows I've deeply embedded my own from time to time but there are a lot of obvious flags flapping right now that seem strategically ignored to justify this constent opining and it's nonesense. Jesus.

Okay, okay, so I just had a meltdown I guess. Back on track ... the AO has fallen some 3 Standard Deviations in the last 2.5 weeks. This is being ignored/neglected. It is no accident that the Canadian shield is filling nearly brim with -15 to -40C 850mb air ...even in the Euro wonder-boy model this is true. We have a polar high strengthening toward N Maine during the onset of that, and as we get closer and closer....it thus makes perfect sense that the 900mb is showing ever more tendecies of ageostrophic flow and there isn't a very strong valid reason to see that getting less giving these synoptic markers.

I'm leaning/ see this as snow N of the Mass Pike and mix from HFD -PVD to the pike, with dice roll farther S and BOS wild card as usual.

Based on what... ?

Philosophy: The idea that the runs have been steadily colder in the antecedent environment, doing so with real physical marker that suggests it should, has just as much merit as looking at a snap shot of the model blend and seeing boundary layer troubles. Not you per se, but I was sneaking reads of post after post at work that was just that.

If its me, I take my chances with trend any day. I'm at least 50% confident and about ready to pull the trigger and go to 75%, which is pretty darn good one should think for 4 days out andhaving persistence notwithstanding. There is more than a mere palpable vibe going on around here that the says people are ~ 10%, and there's really little if any justification for that degree of cold weather-type pessimism quite frankly.

This isn't directed at Will, per se, but is a general statement: People, please take your head out of your asses? Lord knows I've deeply embedded my own from time to time but there are a lot of obvious flags flapping right now that seem strategically ignored to justify this constent opining and it's nonesense. Jesus.

Okay, okay, so I just had a meltdown I guess. Back on track ... the AO has fallen some 3 Standard Deviations in the last 2.5 weeks. This is being ignored/neglected. It is no accident that the Canadian shield is filling nearly brim with -15 to -40C 850mb air ...even in the Euro wonder-boy model this is true. We have a polar high strengthening toward N Maine during the onset of that, and as we get closer and closer....it thus makes perfect sense that the 900mb is showing ever more tendecies of ageostrophic flow and there isn't a very strong valid reason to see that getting less giving these synoptic markers.

I'm leaning/ see this as snow N of the Mass Pike and mix from HFD -PVD to the pike, with dice roll farther S and BOS wild card as usual.

i'm just guessing here...but thinking some of the pessimism might be from the feet upon feet of snow that has fallen in SNE thus far this winter season. LOL.

Based on what... ?

LOL

....but thanks for the call. I hope you're right.

Archived