Newest Member
    joxey
Current Snow Depth

CT Rain

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this stuff is siblimating quicker than i thought, down to 14 to 17

Yeah, there was some fluff factor in there that disappears quickly.  My yard is all over the place with measurements but 12-14" is the average with a few spots as deep as 18".

The pack is getting pretty solid though as the sublimation and freezing cycles.  I snowshoed yesterday and it was pretty dense stuff.

the natives (those who hate snow who are a part of my daily existence) are getting restless however and spfd takes very poor care of their side roads, growing up in central ct in an area that dealt with more snow on avg or at least as much, these terrible clean up efforts are still puzzling after nine winters in dv.

Took a bunch of measurements out in the yard today.  Avg. depth 15.25".  Way shy of the 24"+ in 2011 but this years' pack is incredibly dense IMBY.  Two separate layers of frozen sleet in it that I have to punch through with the yard stick. One of those layers was strong enough earlier this month to support my 80+ lb. dog walking on top of it.

I'm interested in snowpack statistics for BOS. This is my 3rd winter here and I've noticed that snowpack is fleeting. Are there any winters where Boston has snowcover for a month or two straight?

BOS proper as in the airport, very difficult to retain snow. Ditto for most areas inside city limits. Yes its very possible to keep snow around for a month, 2011 featured pretty good snowpack in all areas of the city for about that time. Getting just outside Boston, its not at all uncommon to hold snow for a month, difficult, yes but I would not say super uncommon.

I think of my Grandparents house in Charlestown as a decent example of Boston snowpack, its common to drive around any of the roads in that area and not see any snowpack at all or just the lone little pile here and there but in their sizable and protected backyard have full cover. Cities have interesting microclimates but in general, you gotta be a bit colder on average than Boston is in a normal winter to maintain good snowpack in a city the size of Boston. Otherwise, you are always fighting various city heat sources even when temps are well below freezing, "wind" from vehicles as stupid as it sounds destroys snowpack hence bare ground along interstates and full snowpack just off of exits in many situations. Wisks away that little cold layer that can normally sit just above the snow and act to protect it a bit longer.

The concise answer to your question is "yes" but it takes consistent storms and daily average temps well below normal. You want highs 25 ish to have a prayer at pack retention right in the city.

Just outside in the suburbs, snowpack does far, far, far better, even in the southern suburbs.

Archived