12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can agree with you that this method will cause a difference when compared to the "accepted" method, but I don't agree that it is an inaccurate way to measure snowfall. If I clean a board, go back in two hours and measure two inches, then two inches of snow fell. Period.

It seems that the "accepted" way to measure snow is to do it in such a way that the ground total will be close to the intermediate measurements. But if we are measuring "snow FALL" then I don't know why you couldn't measure as often as you want, provided the measurements can be taken accurately.

..because it's not possible to know what that number means, then. Some will measure every half hour, some will measure once every two, some once when they get home from work, and would all end up with different numbers even if they measured the same location. It's not really accurate to call it just the "accepted method." It's the official guideline for measuring snowfall so that there is a common 'vocabulary' when we're looking at a spotter/climate site snowfall reports (which btw does have contigencies for snow that changes to rain, melts, and back to snow like we got yesterday).

If you haven't already, check out Don Sutherland's February outlook on the main page. :)

It was really a fluke how the Boxing Day storm missed us while smashing Atlanta, Raleigh, Norfolk, Ocean City, and Phl on north...without that bizarre miss of just our area, we'd be talking about a 1996-like La Nina winter. NYC is freaking out right now -- last night's 18-20 inches has put them in the 55-inch range for winter, and they average like 25!

Based on his forecast, we could see a continuation of the general pattern and have more chances.

NYC has had an incredible run of 40"+ winters.

Interesting how the trends are now playing it colder over next 5 days in the mid-Atl. Originally thought we'd warm up a little this weekend; now we're looking at a colder solution along with a fairly strong clipper-type low.

Fisrt part of next week now looks colder also, when next system approaches. The initial discussion was for more snow to the NW/Lakes region, putting us in the warm sector, but now .... not so sure.

NYC has had an incredible run of 40"+ winters.

So last season, DCA, IAD, BWI, and PHL all smashed their previous season record set in 95/96. (If we go back before DCA's records, of course it was 1898-1899 for DC, but that record was broken also, just not smashed.)

This season has that feel so far that NYC and Boston could challenge their seasonal records from 95/96 as well, which would be an interesting feat to have it come in two consecutive winters instead of all in one.

..because it's not possible to know what that number means, then. Some will measure every half hour, some will measure once every two, some once when they get home from work, and would all end up with different numbers even if they measured the same location. It's not really accurate to call it just the "accepted method." It's the official guideline for measuring snowfall so that there is a common 'vocabulary' when we're looking at a spotter/climate site snowfall reports (which btw does have contigencies for snow that changes to rain, melts, and back to snow like we got yesterday).

Now this post post makes more sense. I only challenged the notion that a person who measures more frequently would get an incorrect measurement. I do see the need for a consistent method. What is the time period that is considered correct? 3 hours?

Now this post post makes more sense. I only challenged the notion that a person who measures more frequently would get an incorrect measurement. I do see the need for a consistent method. What is the time period that is considered correct? 3 hours?

Here are snow measuring guidelines from Sterling's site -- you measure every six hours then clear. Say you have mod/hvy snow for 24 hours straight...if you measured every hour and cleared, it would overstate amounts. However, measuring just once at the end of the storm would understate with compaction. So they came up with 6 hours as a compromise.

http://www.weather.gov/os/coop/snowguid.htm

I am just overflowing with pure joy. I got to dig that wonderful heavy wet snow with my shovel all day today! I made three foot piles of snow. Jebwalks are going to be so sweet with all the piled snow from plows. That plow plowed me in SHWEET with a three foot tall snow berm and I lovingly shoveled every flake!!! Come on plowman, please do it one more time? Plow me in with all the snow from my street? Please?

thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

"MyBGE‎ We expect to have majority of customers restored by late Saturday. We are working diligently to advance restoration times."

Still 15% of Anne Arundel county w/o power

I was one of those unlucky people - Power went out at my place in Odenton around 9pm Wednesday night, didn't come back on until 3pm yesterday. Longest its been out in my neighborhood, usually its a few hours at most... but not 16 hours. :axe:

Just got my power back at around 4:30 this morning.

I ended up with 5.3 inches of snow here in northern most calvert and had a couple of hours of s plus which made me happy. I got thunder but never thundersnow but others did which made me happy.

It's about friggen time you got hit! Hopefully the Ra/Sn line doesn't screw you over with the Feb 2-3 system.

Power is back in Kensington, South of Conn. Av. - Homewood area...

Looks like they have the substation back online, just a few blocks form here.

When that thing arc'ed out (wednesday about 7:15p), the sky was lit up like noon-time for about 30 seconds. Really eerie..very otherworldly.

House was 43 degrees inside when I got back from the hotel. We did one night with no power, but two nights would have been miserable. So happy to have some juice again.

It's about friggen time you got hit! Hopefully the Ra/Sn line doesn't screw you over with the Feb 2-3 system.

Right now I see that as a potential problem for all, could be a big snow to ice storm but it's still way too early to forecast. This was chickenfeed compared to last year but still was great. Very intense snowfall rates. Heck it's snowing decently right now. Light now but it should be enough to freshly coat the old snow.

The good news from the storm as the CWG comments have been terrific. I just got a chance to look at them now that I've got power back.

• 1 month later...

Best of the winter and Poor Ji stuck on the Toll Road for hours and hours in the snow

Awesome storm :weight_lift: :weight_lift:

although, i had a huge window to see the storm from the bus...i feel cheated for not being in my own house. By the time i got to the burg, the stars and moon were out :(

although, i had a huge window to see the storm from the bus...i feel cheated for not being in my own house. By the time i got to the burg, the stars and moon were out :(

Yeah that just isnt the same. I got cheated on Feb 2006 when I was in NYC and seen the snow but when I got home the sun was setting and didnt see any of it fall while at home, I know the feeling :(

• 10 months later...

I really enjoyed this storm. I know some folks bashed last winter, but this one made it for me. Thundersnow and insane rates. Ended up with about 14 inches of wet snow.

I found a post of mine that says, "We are getting raped." That about summed up that evening mega-band. LOL

I remember tracking this one for what felt like forever. This was the one we wishcasted from being an inland rainer to a MECS, right?

I really enjoyed this storm. I know some folks bashed last winter, but this one made it for me. Thundersnow and insane rates. Ended up with about 14 inches of wet snow.

I found a post of mine that says, "We are getting raped." That about summed up that evening mega-band. LOL

I remember tracking this one for what felt like forever. This was the one we wishcasted from being an inland rainer to a MECS, right?

here's the leadup thread

If it wasn't for that storm, the only sizeable difference from last winter and this winter is a cold dec-jan.

Not here. We had numerous 2-3 inch events here as I recall. I thought last winter was fine assuming you didn't expect an 09-10 repeat. Of course, there was a major snow gradient I think. NE MD seemed to maximize every event.

Archived