joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BWI is at 1.80" for the day which shattered the old record for the day which was 1.33".

Lol wow, if it was only a few degrees colder in the column... we would be looking at a good 12-18+ inches of snow.. Its amazing though as the weight of that much snow is packed into whatever bwi got..

For me I got around 13 inches for the storm (including the morning) so that would mean I got like 6-8 to 1 ratios.

yes, its hard to tell because even up here there was some compacting and I am not accounting for that, and its hard for me to say how much over 12 exactly because I can't find my yard stick and the ruler stopped being useful a couple hours ago. I am estimating from where I shoveled and how much new snow fell there the last few hours. I would probably say I finish with 14 but it could be as high as 15 if I wanted to account for compaction. My 1000 feet elevation helped a lot I am sure. Either way I am not that stuck up on a specific number, it looks real nice out there and I am happy.

Pretty impressive totals, i ended up with 13.5" from both parts total. 3.5" this morning and 10" tonight. Great job on the call for this storm so far out :thumbsup: . Hopefully the Ji storm next Wed works out well also.

Lol wow, if it was only a few degrees colder in the column... we would be looking at a good 12-18+ inches of snow.. Its amazing though as the weight of that much snow is packed into whatever bwi got..

For me I got around 13 inches for the storm (including the morning) so that would mean I got like 6-8 to 1 ratios.

I think at BWI they are at 8.5" for the day but i saw that earlier and i am not sure what the storm total will be.

I missed the entire snowstorm dude.....lol..i didnt see one flake fall in the hood except this morning

It was really pretty this morning early but then when it went to sleet then drizzle for most of the mid morning early afternoon it was really sucky...I was starting to doubt the storm especially when the GFS and NAM were advertising the heavy stuff South of here...the 12z GFS was downright depressing for here but the SREF and RUC started showing the love for here and I perked up. Around 2:45 some heavy ass sleet pelted the hood and it almost looked like hail...we had several lightning and thunder episodes which is the first time since I lived here that happened. Changed to all snow around 3:15 then the game was on and it was full on moderate/heavy snow nonstop until 8ish....great storm...loved it...my bushes are cronked

ha...ian owes some red tagger an apology. cant remember who

enjoy your MECS for one night before starting that again.

ncep is down but here is the GFS mos LOL for IAD

WED 06Z 02-FEB -4.3 -1.3 1023 92 97 0.04 557 538

WED 12Z 02-FEB -6.4 -5.8 1025 95 100 0.16 556 537

WED 18Z 02-FEB -6.5 -4.7 1020 96 99 0.23 553 537

Look at the traffic cams at quarter to midnight. OMG. OMG. OMG

http://www.trafficland.com/city/WAS/

if nothing else, those worried about FED closing can sleep easier cause I will bet Feds will give day off tomorrow regardless of roads just to to give their workers a day-off since some will be arriving home just as they are suppose to get back up and report to work.lightning.gif

Olney and Bethesda have NEVER not been the highest totals for ANY snowstorm the entire time I have been on these boards...amazing how that works....and they are always the coldest spots in Maryland and Virginia for that matter....crazy stuff...what a micro climate over there...congrats guys

OK DC gov is closed

Due to inclement weather, the District Government and District of Columbia Public Schools will be closed Thursday, January 27, 2011. However, all essential office personnel must report.

Fed gov as of now still open.

http://www.opm.gov/

Turn on the news. or go to any of the websites.

Or just take my word for it since I'm a government employee?

Frig it. I'm saying I got 12". I got nowhere near that, but the impact was like a foot-plus storm. So that's what I'm going with. On my deathbed, I'll be raising my feeble fist and saying, "yea, I got a foot of snow on January 26, 2011, and I defy these lackeys who tremble in fear of violating protocols for measuring sn...." and then, poof, I'll be gone. But from that moment, a movement will begin, a movement that will overthrow the tyranny of those who insist that only their way of measuring snow is acceptable, and weenies everywhere will then be free to measure snow anyway they see fit, and officialdom will have to accept their observations. And life will be good once again, and the children can play in snow measured by free men (and women) and not by tyrants and their snowboards and obsessions over archaic concepts like "compaction."

Olney and Bethesda have NEVER not been the highest totals for ANY snowstorm the entire time I have been on these boards...amazing how that works....and they are always the coldest spots in Maryland and Virginia for that matter....crazy stuff...what a micro climate over there...congrats guys

Eh, only 80.5" here

Frig it. I'm saying I got 12". I got nowhere near that, but the impact was like a foot-plus storm. So that's what I'm going with. On my deathbed, I'll be raising my feeble fist and saying, "yea, I got a foot of snow on January 26, 2011, and I defy these lackeys who tremble in fear of violating protocols for measuring sn...." and then, poof, I'll be gone. But from that moment, a movement will begin, a movement that will overthrow the tyranny of those who insist that only their way of measuring snow is acceptable, and weenies everywhere will then be free to measure snow anyway they see fit, and officialdom will have to accept their observations. And life will be good once again, and the children can play in snow measured by free men (and women) and not by tyrants and their snowboards and obsessions over archaic concepts like "compaction."

:weenie::rolleyes:

Archived