• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

If it wasn't for that storm, the only sizeable difference from last winter and this winter is a cold dec-jan.

we had a lot more threats it seemed. tho maybe it's better not to have that if they don't come to pass.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it wasn't for that storm, the only sizeable difference from last winter and this winter is a cold dec-jan.

last winter was "epic" compared to this one...we were constantly getting snow....it was just so frustrating missing out on stuff while 40N was getting killed....Most of us had 10-11 accumulating events...but most were small.....I would say we had 3 good events that were as good or better than anything this winter so far....12/16, 1/12, and 1/26....

Yea, I agree with you guys. My post was more of a comparison of actual #'s. We did have more events up to this point but snowfall was still pretty light and below climo. Except for Phin and peeps up in N and NE MD. Miller B's are always more kind up that way.

Last year was worse on the nerves imo. Especially the boxing day storm. That one really stung. In the back of my mind I was like "miller b's always suck....miller b's always suck" but after 09-10 it was easy to get blinded into thinking "DC is the new snow capital of the EC so the models have to be right.". All the excitement of christmas with family and then a big snowstorm.....and then poof. It was a stinger.

Take away the psu storm and the season was pretty bad. Cold and dry for the most part. We could pull off a strong ull this year. No reason to think we can't. Let's hope one of our upcoming pna spikes throws us a bone.

Yea, I agree with you guys. My post was more of a comparison of actual #'s. We did have more events up to this point but snowfall was still pretty light and below climo. Except for Phin and peeps up in N and NE MD. Miller B's are always more kind up that way.

Last year was worse on the nerves imo. Especially the boxing day storm. That one really stung. In the back of my mind I was like "miller b's always suck....miller b's always suck" but after 09-10 it was easy to get blinded into thinking "DC is the new snow capital of the EC so the models have to be right.". All the excitement of christmas with family and then a big snowstorm.....and then poof. It was a stinger.

Take away the psu storm and the season was pretty bad. Cold and dry for the most part. We could pull off a strong ull this year. No reason to think we can't. Let's hope one of our upcoming pna spikes throws us a bone.

..but you can't do that in the DC area. You can't take away the one decent storm and complain about the rest of the winter. Just having multiple snowfall days makes a winter more 'wintry' than most.

Matt wrote a post a few years ago about how we almost never nickle-and-dime our way to a 20"+ winter-- almost all of them had a 6"+ snowstorm. I printed it out and still refer to it frequently. I believe the most recent winter where DCA hit 20" without a 6"+ snowstorm was 1977/1978.

Archived