Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

ncep is down but here is the GFS mos LOL for IAD

WED 06Z 02-FEB -4.3 -1.3 1023 92 97 0.04 557 538

WED 12Z 02-FEB -6.4 -5.8 1025 95 100 0.16 556 537

WED 18Z 02-FEB -6.5 -4.7 1020 96 99 0.23 553 537

I am glad its down, I want a night off to just relax and enjoy the snow. The setup might have some potential, I glanced at it after the 12z runs. I think we actually need the H5 energy to stay diffuse this time. Opposite of this setup. If it stays weak and progressive we have a good overrunning setup. To amplified and it would cut west of us most likely. If the arctic high is there at the right time it could hold some merit. Thats all I am going to say on it for now until I am ready to really dig into another event to track. I need 24 hours off. At least now we know we will not be totally shut our of any significant events this year.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frig it. I'm saying I got 12". I got nowhere near that, but the impact was like a foot-plus storm. So that's what I'm going with. On my deathbed, I'll be raising my feeble fist and saying, "yea, I got a foot of snow on January 26, 2011, and I defy these lackeys who tremble in fear of violating protocols for measuring sn...." and then, poof, I'll be gone. But from that moment, a movement will begin, a movement that will overthrow the tyranny of those who insist that only their way of measuring snow is acceptable, and weenies everywhere will then be free to measure snow anyway they see fit, and officialdom will have to accept their observations. And life will be good once again, and the children can play in snow measured by free men (and women) and not by tyrants and their snowboards and obsessions over archaic concepts like "compaction."

Yeah, well, we didn't even break our snowfall record for the day... in DC... that's really hard not to do given how pathetically snowless this city is.

But this storm is a great example of just how hard it is to get snow here.

Traffic was wild, but by tomorrow, things will be back to normal. Kind of a disappointment I'd say.

We got at least 12 inches here in Towson.

It's a foot on the yardstick, but it's actually probably a little more, since I didn't get to measure the spots I cleaned our morning 4 inches off of, and so had to measure a place where the all-day melting and compaction turned that initial 4 into more like 2.5. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 13 or 13.5 report pop up near me.

Frig it. I'm saying I got 12". I got nowhere near that, but the impact was like a foot-plus storm. So that's what I'm going with. On my deathbed, I'll be raising my feeble fist and saying, "yea, I got a foot of snow on January 26, 2011, and I defy these lackeys who tremble in fear of violating protocols for measuring sn...." and then, poof, I'll be gone. But from that moment, a movement will begin, a movement that will overthrow the tyranny of those who insist that only their way of measuring snow is acceptable, and weenies everywhere will then be free to measure snow anyway they see fit, and officialdom will have to accept their observations. And life will be good once again, and the children can play in snow measured by free men (and women) and not by tyrants and their snowboards and obsessions over archaic concepts like "compaction."

I got 12" . I eye balled and measured and I kept getting 12. Well actually it was 11.75, and I only measured once, and it was at the end of the storm after plenty of compaction, I didn't measure it on a board, just in the grass, but I'm fairly confident the official Damascus snowfall will be close to 12. Maybe 11, maybe 13 possibly 10, or even 14. Whatever the result, it was one hell of a storm :snowman:

Yeah, well, we didn't even break our snowfall record for the day... in DC... that's really hard not to do given how pathetically snowless this city is.

But this storm is a great example of just how hard it is to get snow here.

Traffic was wild, but by tomorrow, things will be back to normal. Kind of a disappointment I'd say.

Move out of Alexandria. Even by DC standards, it is a sea level snow-lovers nightmare.

We got at least 12 inches here in Towson.

It's a foot on the yardstick, but it's actually probably a little more, since I didn't get to measure the spots I cleaned our morning 4 inches off of, and so had to measure a place where the all-day melting and compaction turned that initial 4 into more like 2.5. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 13 or 13.5 report pop up near me.

I measured 16 inches, 3 times. 5 from the first batch and 11 from the ULL. Your numbers are in line for the region. Harford County confirmed 5 inches from the first batch and 8-12 numbers from the ULL came in.

Move out of Alexandria. Even by DC standards, it is a sea level snow-lovers nightmare.

Eh, the whole area stinks compared to where I grew up in NW NJ. If I really cared that much for an extra couple inches a year, I'm sure I'd sacrifice sleep for a two hour commute or something similarly nightmarish.

Besides, work in Alexandria and go to grad school in Georgetown. And honestly, but for the snow shield, I really love Alexandria. So this makes sense I'm afraid.

Eh, the whole area stinks compared to where I grew up in NW NJ. If I really cared that much for an extra couple inches a year, I'm sure I'd sacrifice sleep for a two hour commute or something similarly nightmarish.

Besides, work in Alexandria and go to grad school in Georgetown. And honestly, but for the snow shield, I really love Alexandria. So this makes sense I'm afraid.

Agreed. Grew up in W. Monmouth County and storms up there blow away anything here. Alexandria just seems to be an even more precarious spot than the rest of the area - especially old town. While interning, i lived at braddock road - that stuff seems to never accumulate. It would usually amount to half of what NW DC ended up with.

Agreed. Grew up in W. Monmouth County and storms up there blow away anything here. Alexandria just seems to be an even more precarious spot than the rest of the area - especially old town. While interning, i lived at braddock road - that stuff seems to never accumulate. It would usually amount to half of what NW DC ended up with.

Yes, people in Georgetown also often report and complain about absymal snowfall totals. When you add Georgetown, Alexandria and, most of all, DCA, I come up with only one explanation ==== Potomac River.

I live at Braddock Road... but honestly, I find it fascinating sometimes what a neat little microclimate this is. Things can be significantly different simply driving up the hill after Russell Road. And there are palm trees (albeit cold hardy) planted around here, so I can't expect too much.

Yes, people in Georgetown also often report and complain about absymal snowfall totals. When you add Georgetown, Alexandria and, most of all, DCA, I come up with only one explanation ==== Potomac River.

And when I drove from here to Georgetown this afternoon, they had a lot more snow left over than me. Even little plowed piles on the road and sidewalks. Where does that leave me? ;)

Olney and Bethesda have NEVER not been the highest totals for ANY snowstorm the entire time I have been on these boards...amazing how that works....and they are always the coldest spots in Maryland and Virginia for that matter....crazy stuff...what a micro climate over there...congrats guys

? That was my total including the morning snow (2 inches). I got 11 with the upper level low. Which is pretty much in line with most other areas

But all of Arlington County is not bad. I remember a storm about six years ago -- don't recall which one or exactly when but would guess six years ago and an early season storm --- where I was in Arlington and drove up some hill and at the top of the hill they had more snow then even Bethesda but at bottom of the hill there was almost nothing.

But all of Arlington County is not bad. I remember a storm about six years ago -- don't recall which one or exactly when but would guess six years ago and an early season storm --- where I was in Arlington and drove up some hill and at the top of the hill they had more snow then even Bethesda but at bottom of the hill there was almost nothing.

Parts of Gtown and most of Arlington has a bit of elevation - makes a big difference. It is those sea level areas of Alexandria and coastal DC (meaning along the Potomac) that always report less. Like you said, the difference is stark between a few miles.

I'm eyeballing about 7-8" in Gaithersburg... not going to make an exact measurement since I wasn't able to measure the morning precip. and measure the difference between the 1st and 2nd snowfalls.

Looks like power went out about 5 hours ago... must have not been that long, though (no longer than an hour) since I had power when I fell asleep past 7:00.

Maybe it was December 5, 2003.

? That was my total including the morning snow (2 inches). I got 11 with the upper level low. Which is pretty much in line with most other areas

Bethesda is nowhere near the coldest spot in MD. It's not even the coldest spot in south central md. I know that where I live is significantly consistently colder than there. My dad works near that area and always reports rain when it's snowing here, and less snow, and warmer temps. That's not even to mention northern and western MD....

I live in the Shirlington part of Arlington right on the border of Alexandria. I work in Old Town just 4 miles away and have noticed pretty significant differences last winter. I'm originally from eastern Monmouth in NJ so I may have followed a similar path as you. (I'm in Seattle now so maybe my absence was your perfect recipe for the storm).

LWX and TV mets needs to be beaten with reeds.

This is from a co-worker of mine "Just talked to my brother. He works in DC and lives in Hagerstown. He left work at 5:00pm and is just now getting to Gathersburg (10:30pm). He is hoping to be home by 1:30am"

It didn't need to happen this way.

LWX and the local TV mets did a horrendous job with this storm. They are largely responsible for the general public not being prepared for this. Thousands of cars are stranded across the region and it took many folks 4-6 hours to drive home last night......if they even made it there.

Archived