joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edgewater accum isnt very good.. I blame the water... But its looking like I only got about 1.5-2"... I think it compacted on itself... Either way, it was nice to watch it come down in buckets... Temps here never really went below 33.1..

I shoveled out a good 2-3" when I got home (had to move cars around and another fresh 2" at least has fallen since, and that's on pavement with a serious melt layer. Maybe you're just in a bad spot?

I shoveled out a good 2-3" when I got home (had to move cars around and another fresh 2" at least has fallen since, and that's on pavement with a serious melt layer. Maybe you're just in a bad spot?

Thats very possible.. Im looking out of the window right now, and the cars dont even seem to have snow around the sidewalls of the tires.. In some spots, the driveway is only "dusted".. Probably temp. Its weird.. I should take a pic..

Where are you at? I am on Shore Dr in Londontown..

About 5 inches here in the grass. Serious melting already in progress on paved surfaces. Can't believe DCPS closed.

Its 31 here so at least for tonight I will be spared melting but Im still surprised that it kept so warm at the surface, If Im not mistaken arent temps suppose to crash? at least when the clouds move out later tonight we go to the upper 20s?

Good God look a these power outage reports from WTOP! I am so glad I'm in an area with below ground wires. We ended up with 9" here.

The storm also is causing power outages across the region. As of 10:45 p.m., the outage totals are:

• Pepco - 199,000 outages, 121,000 in Montgomery County
  • BGE - 128,000 outages
  • Dominion - 147,000 outages in Northern Virginia
  • Rappahannock - 16,000 outages in Culpeper and Fauquier Counties
  • Allegheny - 7,956 outages in Frederick County, Md.
  • SMECO - 3,821 outages

I live in Upper Northwest. There was SIGNIFICANT MELTING as the storm was falling and then REFREEZING as more snow fell on top. We probably only have 6 inches on the ground, but we got 1 to 3 inch hour rates from about 5 to 9, whatever that would add up to.

Let me put it this way, I honestly think DC residents would buy last Feb 6's 16 or whatever it was inches at DCA then they will 5 inches in this one. No one, and I mean no one, is going to wake up tomorrow and be like, that storm sucked, it was only 5 inches. Worst conditions on city streets in decades probably considering the traffic.

What a mess out there. Lots of branches down, Reno Road is blocked by a large tree in the vicinity of Van Ness. I walked across Fort Reno park and measured between 8" and 10" on a baseball/soccer field. I came home, only about a quarter mile away, and measured about 5-6". The accumulations aren't the story with this storm though. This storm raised hell. Legit thundersnow, crippled the city in the short term. Numerous blocks without power in the vicinity. Traffic as of an half-hour ago was still at a blind snail's pace on Wisconsin. A number of abandoned cars on the side streets. Give me one of these every winter, and I'd be happy.

I live in Upper Northwest. There was SIGNIFICANT MELTING as the storm was falling and then REFREEZING as more snow fell on top. We probably only have 6 inches on the ground, but we got 1 to 3 inch rates from about 5 to 9, whatever that would add up to.

Yeah if this happened on a Friday night I could have gone home to witness a MECS but since I go to UMD, the same thing happened here. The snow falling and the thundersnow were spectacular, but ratios and accumulations were crap.

Archived