joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone with some totals in South Arlington/shirlington? Living vicariously thru you guys while in Seattle.

Not too far south of there at National Harbor with 6". Was outside taking a few photos and could hear tree branches everywhere cracking and falling. Saw a bright flash as a line or transformer went and a portion of one block went dark.

Just got back from a walk around Logan Circle. Measured 3 inches of heavy wet snow on the roof of my car, which hasn't moved since noon today. Underneath was nearly another inch of packed slush/ice. Nasty stuff.

Snow still coming down, but not at as quick a clip as earlier. Still a mess out there.

I was hoping to hear thunder snow, but I did not hear or see any thunder/lightning in Damascus. Nevertheless, I am thrilled to have only one year later , experienced snowfall rates of 3" per hour. I have not officially measured, but I estimate there is 10" +- 1" here. This has been the most amazing 5 hour thump I have experienced.

this stuff is like concrete. Took a jebwalk around the 'hood and you dont really sink into it while walking. Intensity feels kinda like Feb6. Off and on lightning and heard a rumble of thunder as well. Lots of tree down across roadway calls in AA Co.

Mitch how much more you think we can squeeze out of this?

couple at best would be my guess

BWI's 33 made it tough for huge totals

I have 6"+ now and its heavy as you can get

great qpf for this event, just would have been even better than it was if temps were even 1C cooler, but I ain't complaining

now onto next week's possibility

couple at best would be my guess

BWI's 33 made it tough for huge totals

I have 6"+ now and its heavy as you can get

great qpf for this event, just would have been even better than it was if temps were even 1C cooler, but I ain't complaining

now onto next week's possibility

that 6+ is for this evening only, by the way

had 2.5" overnight last night into the morning

9.5 inches of snow here now.. crazy to think that just 6 hours ago there wasn't even an inch of snow on the ground

What is your temp there? I'm about 10 minutes away, but have 7ish I'd say. My theory is that since I've been hovering at 32.5 degrees for the whole storm, I'm getting melting/compaction whereas since you are a tad north, you might be a crucial half a degree cooler and didn't suffer.

Today, 1/25, am ending 8:30 am 2 inches

Fresh snow fall from the second wave, 4:30 pm until 9:05 pm

9 1/2 inches -- this 9 1/2 is measured on a surface that was cleared from the AM 2 inch snowfall.

Snow continues, light to moderate.

That's great.. should we throw a dart at a map to guess where you're located? rolleyes.gif

DCA is the real snow hole. Totals are ALWAYS low.

It's been snowing at great rates for hours, but it's just saturated with water and compacting/melting. Driving around, slush blobs coming off buildings and trees. As was expected with such a marginal surface event, it's just too warm here for decent accumulations.

Things are lightening up now. But I'm not gonna bother measuring. It's probably a meaningless measurement.

Archived