• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

Seriously. Horrible. Stubborn refusal to listen to what the models were telling them. Made no sense. Snow is coming down absolutely insane here. LOVE IT.guitar.gifguitar.gifguitar.gif

The TV Weather-caster wannabes will go down in infamy for their "futurecast" rain bust. Futurecast needs to be tossed into the trash bin immediately.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC is a distaster. My neighborhood has trees down, buses stuck everywhere, stranded people trying to walk home and power is going out in the blocks adjacent to mine

good news hopefully work is canceled. im going to try to go out with my tripod once it's done and wander some streets.. pretty sweet out there.

Just looked outside and had to come back in for my measuring stick...6.5" of snow on the driveway I cleared in the inaugural run of my snowblower earlier today!!! And, it's still "Puking Snow" with frequent bursts of "Thundersnow"... Awesome and amazing don't come close to describing this one!!! On a side note, Baltimore City FD is calling in off-duty personnel and currently have two working fires going simultaneously!!!

The TV Weather-caster wannabes will go down in infamy for their "futurecast" rain bust. Futurecast needs to be tossed into the trash bin immediately.

I agree. My fav is the different kinds of radar they all use. "Maryland's most powerful radar". "DOPPLER 600!"... Good grief. They all use the same damn thing.

Really piling up fast now. Almost a complete whiteout at this point. A heavy band has definitely setup over Aberdeen for the moment. I'd guess maybe 5 inches of fresh snow from round II. . . and climbing.

Nearly the exact same here in Elkton. 31.1 with heavy snow,appears 5in or so has fell since 6pm,also had around 5in this morning.

I agree. My fav is the different kinds of radar they all use. "Maryland's most powerful radar". "DOPPLER 600!"... Good grief. They all use the same damn thing.

"Well lets see what the IN-HOUSE model is whipping up! Oh it looks like rain with temps in the mid 40s with a changeover to flurries by 10 PM".

Fail.

Four to five inches around the city, I would guess from this part of the storm. 2-3 from the stuff this morning. Pouring snow at the moment and the roads are predictibly not real good.

Zen, was out in my driveway about 15 minutes ago and I had a solid 6" new snow... I know because I had it down to asphalt after Round 1!!! LOL And you're right, I've never seen so much "Thundersnow" in all my 47 years!!! I honestly believe this storm has had more than all I've seen before this one, added all together!!!

PROTECT YOUR SHRUBS FOLKS!

I just got back inside -- we have 7-8" and mod snow. That stuff is VERY wet and dense, and will crush your shrubs and small evergreen trees. I have about 15 or so Leylands and American Hollies ranging from 10-30 feet tall, and they are bending every which way. I took a rake and got the snow off the lower branches, then shook the tree with the rake the best I could to get most of it off. If you have trees like those, you might want to try this.

What a storm! It kinda reminds me of that intense banding snowstorm we got around 2006 or 2007 that really crushed esp. Howard Co.

I shook off my Leylands about 4 o'clock after about 3 or so inches had fallen. Glad I did too. Just went outside and they looked rough. Shook em off again. Mine are only about 6 to 8 feet, so the job wasn't as tough, even though I have 18 of them.

Yep they blew it big time, but they have to report what their bosses agree to.. and sometimes it's not the most accurate forecast.

I watched the WJZ "FIRST WARNING WEATHER" and chuckled. They called for 1-3" last night. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Give us a break. All the outlets get the big FAIL.

Zen, was out in my driveway about 15 minutes ago and I had a solid 6" new snow... I know because I had it down to asphalt after Round 1!!! LOL And you're right, I've never seen so much "Thundersnow" in all my 47 years!!! I honestly believe this storm has had more than all I've seen before this one, added all together!!!

Glad to hear you with 6, hard for me to get a good measurement given the compaction. I had it around 5, so that's probably right.

winding down here in gaithersburg. 9" total snow depth including this morning and 7" since the 18z snowboard clear. This is a very heavy wet snow and is compacting easily.... I'd judge by walking thru it we nearly have as much QPF as feb 10 last year but much much lower ratios. looks like the heaviest stuff is over here.... look forward to picking up another inch or two before it shuts off.

Baltimore, especilly east and NE is the jackpot with this storm, maybe not so much in amounts but in their sustained thundersnow... best dynamics definitely set up that way. wish that band would pivot this way but dont think thats gonna happen.... nevertheless I got my thundersnow and am quite happy... if we can do this again one more time this winter I'll be thrilled.

There were quite a few accidents at rush, folks were just not willing to believe that it could be pouring rain and then 20 minutes later, sleeting heavily, it got dangerous quick.

Frankly, I feel that all the local tv mets and those at LWX should have to donate their salaries for the past 3 days to charity. Obviously that money can be better used. Just my .02. Horrendous, terrible job of informing the public about a potentially serious event that struck during the rush.

Archived