joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm is trucking FAST NEward, radar is clearing. We picked up 5 inches tonight, 1 additional inch this morning. Biggest storm of the season. We now have 10 inches on the season.

We understood this was a fast mover.

Let's hope against hope that we won't have to contend with mild air in the coming days, although the zonal pattern does argue for 40s in the daytimes, 30s at night. oh well.

Easy come, easy go............................

I am mistaken! It is DC government that is 2 hours. The huge "OPM" emblem on the page tripped me up. Sorry to jump the gun!

http://origin.wusa9....32938&catid=158

I did see the dc gov't was 2 hr delay on wtop. Given that DC is getting more snow than me, our carpool decided not to make the trip tomorrow. The gridlock today was insane. Reminds me of 9/11 trying to get out of the city. I bet a lot of people say the h*$ll with it tomorrow!

If anyone is trying to get home to WV don't bother...MARC is a mess (Power Lines down on the tracks), Rte 340 Into WV from MD is shut down and expected to be for at least another 4 hours (3 Tractor Trailers jack knifed going up hill to Harpers Ferry), Rte 9 is closed from Outside Hillsboro to past the State Line, and Rte 7 is reported to be shut from Just West of Leesburg to Berryville.

I feel your pain, but you have to admit this has surpassed any expectations we may have had 2 days ago. By md standards this is a big snow!

its a big snow anywhere

potent ULL with quick transition from mix to heavy snow and thunder at rush hour, very nice

our highest impact events are not the 1+ foot, but the arctic squall lines that drop a few inches, drop temps rapidly and cause a prolonged ground blizzard

these are the ones people remember.......the dramatic ones.

ugh right after scuddz post giant flash with transformer going .. could hear it so must be close. better charge phone up.

This 5 hour period (5-10pm or so) was worse than last February in terms of impact. Unbelievable the amount of cars I saw stuck on the road from Big Hunt to Van Ness. The main roads are an absolute disaster. Plows can't get to them because of bumper to bumper traffic.

Best place I found to measure was in front of Montgomery Hall on an untouched table. Only 4" there as of now so I take it since the snow is so wet, it's been compacted. Incredibly sloppy.

I think I know what you're talking about, but that I believe that table is under a bunch of trees so 4" is probably too low.

I actually live in Montgomery.

Only 6.75 on the snowboard at 9PM- the snow is so wet it is heavily compacted. Likely closer to 10" fell total.

One large felled (entire) tree that I need to cut up this weekend, and a blown transformer at the edge of the neighborhood. Likely countless other trees down all around- plenty of snaps.

It looks like Dec 19 along the plowed streets due to the water content. probably 7 or 8: 1 ratios.

Archived