joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey any info would be appreciated. Im in NH got a call from my sister in law. She and small child has been stuck on Rt 50 in Tyson Corner area in car not moving for 5 hours. Nothing is moving. Trying to find out if anything on the roads is moving in DC area. She is frantic. Any input would be appreciated so I can call her back.

I have NEVER seen the traffic situation like this around here. 2 hours to go seven miles

well we know every storm now has to have 3"/hr rates and frequent lighting, thats obviously the new pattern

persistence forecasting FTW

just messing with you a little, enjoy the snow. I am taking a couple days off before I start really looking into that much, but from what I have seen a weaker surface low would be better. Stronger would likely cut since there is absolutely no blocking and not even an east based -nao this time. A weaker overrunning solution could work though. Way too early.

We are getting greedy, normally with the upcoming clipper we would be tracking if for days on end and arguing if we could possibly get 2-3".

Hey any info would be appreciated. Im in NH got a call from my sister in law. She and small child has been stuck on Rt 50 in Tyson Corner area in car not moving for 5 hours. Nothing is moving. Trying to find out if anything on the roads is moving in DC area. She is frantic. Any input would be appreciated so I can call her back.

Hey there, sorry to hear about your SIL stuck like that -- here is a link from local news radio WTOP.com traffic video cams. You can zoom in on Tysons Corner (WNW of DC) and pick some cams. Unfortunately, looks horrible.

http://wtop.com/?sid...=604381&nid=370

epic jebwalk.

glad it's dark lol. maybe dec 5 could have been like this in the dark. measured about 3.5" when I left an hour ago and right at 5" on the nose now. saw a few flashes in the sky but didnt hear thunder.

This storm has crossed over to awesome. Lightning after lightning with accompanying thunder and its just pouring snow. Closing in on 5 inches from this part of the storm, and 3.5 from the surprise earlier. Would love to see if I can get another three to fall to get me near 12 for the storm total. Saving the winter, this storm is.

50 doesnt go into Tysons directly so i dont know exactly where she is. here is a link for traffic cams in NOVA. you can check the cams in that area.

http://www.trafficland.com/city/WGO/index.html

Hey folks wondering if anyone can give me an update of how much on the ground at Baltimore? I have some clients coming up rfom BWI to NJ an cant get in touch with them.

thanks and enjoy!:snowman:

Four to five inches around the city, I would guess from this part of the storm. 2-3 from the stuff this morning. Pouring snow at the moment and the roads are predictibly not real good.

I feel like LWX and the local tv mets own some of that. There was simply not enough of an alert to the public issued in enough detail to get folks the heads up they needed as to what was coming.

I watched the WJZ "FIRST WARNING WEATHER" and chuckled. They called for 1-3" last night. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Give us a break. All the outlets get the big FAIL.

Frankly, I feel that all the local tv mets and those at LWX should have to donate their salaries for the past 3 days to charity. Obviously that money can be better used. Just my .02. Horrendous, terrible job of informing the public about a potentially serious event that struck during the rush.

Archived