• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Grade your winter so far

Hoosier

As we approach the halfway point of meteorological winter, what grade would you give?

Me: It's teetering between A-/B+. I'll give it an A- right now. However, if we go through the entire winter without an arctic outbreak and especially a major snowstorm, it will be harder for me to give anything higher than B+

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough to grade. There's been almost no synoptic snow here this winter so far, which has to count against it somewhat. That being said, the 3 moderate LES events I've endured (5.7", 4.5", 2.4") have been quite exciting. There's a lot more of a thrill when only a couple of miles separate several inches from nada. It's been plenty cold, save for the Dec 12 warmup, and the on centered around NYE. Total snowfall of 18.3" is probably a smidged above normal as well.

I'd say a B is fair. Good, not great.

B+

a solid "B/B+" for winter

many nickel and dime events, maybe even a "quarter" event has pushed the snow total above average, over doubled now, but not a huge storm yet (ie 10-12+) inches, I was under a blizzard warning but it was a modern water down version with only 3-4 inches of snow.....

Bonus points for the Tornado warning on New years eve day..

so B+/A- range

I would grade this winter so far a B- due to the slow start in December. We didn't get the snow we normally get even in a neutral winter. Then we had that warm up after Xmas. Also, so far the major system snows either went west, south or east of us. Haven't had a good synoptic storm outside of March since the late 1990's.

For SE Michigan I would say a C-. We are close to our normal snowfall to date, but it has come in small chucks. We have had only one Watch/Warning. Normally by now we would have averaged 3 or 4 Watches, and sometimes we get in less than 10 days. Aside from the 6.3 inches on December 12th, we did not have any daily snowfall over an inch until this past week. Another unusual aspect of this winter.

For SE Michigan I would say a C-. We are close to our normal snowfall to date, but it has come in small chucks. We have had only one Watch/Warning. Normally by now we would have averaged 3 or 4 Watches, and sometimes we get in less than 10 days. Aside from the 6.3 inches on December 12th, we did not have any daily snowfall over an inch until this past week. Another unusual aspect of this winter.

Wow, tough grader lol! I give it a B+. Except for Jan 1-5, the ground has been white almost all winter since early December, which is a HUGE plus for me. Snowcover days above normal, snowfall (after today) near normal, maybe just a tad below. We had one awesome storm Dec 12th and nothing else really exciting as you pointed out, dribs and drabs until this week. If todays storm failed it probably would have been a B/B-, but this storm appears to be meeting or exceeding expectations, just as the Dec 12th storm did. (its just been a lack of excitement in between, but really none of our nowcast storms has undeperformed). Plus the extended looks sweet...stay tuned!

I could be my usual self and complain at the relative boredom lately, but that is typical this time of year. There have been a few high potential busts lately that could have made things exciting, but overall, good for MSP to be back to normal (slightly above). Throw in Octobomb, and there have been two massive storms for the northern plains along with a few moderate events. A- is my grade.

West Lafayette: A-...based on the fact that we've had moderate dumps every few weeks, coupled with the snowpack we were able to establish in December. If we had a really significant storm, it would be an A. Regardless, if we get into the Top 10 (only about 12" away), it will be an A winter. A+ if we get a big snowstorm.

DeMotte: B+..although we are doing worse in comparison to those further south, we have had a pretty decent winter (coupled with a significant synoptic/LES performance in early December). It is unlikely we'll get to a Top 10 winter, however, we will break above average. May be well above average if trends continue.

Archived