• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Grade your winter so far

Hoosier

B Seasonal Snowfall - We have reached our average for the year - No more snow would obviously take it down to a C

C Large Storms - We average one 6" storm a year. We got ours with help from all of the sleet

A Frequency of snowfall - 62 days of at least a Trace so far

A+ Snow depth/cover - 72 days of at least a Trace

A Cold - much below average

B+ Overall Grade - would be an A, but I weight heavier to large storms

F Seasonal Snowfall - Total of a trace so far

F- Large Storms - Not even a 1" snowfall

F Frequency of snowfall - 2 traces

F- Snow depth/cover - 1 night with a light coating of graupel on a few surfaces

C- Cold - above average temperatures, but a couple decent cold periods.

Overall: D-... that's probably generous.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F Seasonal Snowfall - Total of a trace so far

F- Large Storms - Not even a 1" snowfall

F Frequency of snowfall - 2 traces

F- Snow depth/cover - 1 night with a light coating of graupel on a few surfaces

C- Cold - above average temperatures, but a couple decent cold periods.

Overall: D-... that's probably generous.

Wow, La Nina fail. Sorry. :( Have limited knowledge of your climo but maybe you'll turn it around with this -PNA pattern we're in.

B-, but only 3 other Tulsa winters since 1900 have ever gotten a C or better (incidentally last winter was a C-). My scale is mainly based on snow depth intensity and longevity, with snowfall added as a secondary factor. The scale has no locational bias, that is, 10 inches in Orlando is the same as 10 inches in Tulsa which is the same as 10 inches in Buffalo.

Since then weve had 3 warning/advisory events (Jan 12, Feb 1/2, Feb 5) and a slew of nickel/dimes so season snowfall is above normal to date.

Don't forget January 28th - 29th, that was another advisory event. Granted all advisory events IMO are nickle & dime events, since they're really a nuisance versus a Winter Storm whichs slows/shuts down everything.

Then I believe we had another advisory (Freezing Rain) on December 30th.

Oh, and snowfall as of February 15th is exactly 44" which is right at normal (see my signature), not quite above average yet.

B-, but only 3 other Tulsa winters since 1900 have ever gotten a C or better (incidentally last winter was a C-). My scale is mainly based on snow depth intensity and longevity, with snowfall added as a secondary factor. The scale has no locational bias, that is, 10 inches in Orlando is the same as 10 inches in Tulsa which is the same as 10 inches in Buffalo.

Well, that's an interesting way to go about it.

W

Don't forget January 28th - 29th, that was another advisory event. Granted all advisory events IMO are nickle & dime events, since they're really a nuisance versus a Winter Storm whichs slows/shuts down everything.

Then I believe we had another advisory (Freezing Rain) on December 30th.

Oh, and snowfall as of February 15th is exactly 44" which is right at normal (see my signature), not quite above average yet.

I forgot about the January 29th advisory snow, here at least the January 27th snow was more hazardous than that one lol.

Yeah, I just meant we are above normal to date not above normal total, we are over a foot ahead of normal thru mid-Feb. Though pretty much an above normal season is a lock. Technically the longterm normal (130-yr) is 40.5", so weve already exceeded that, but the 1971-00 normal is 44.0", so we are at exactly that. And if we dont get 0.1" in the next 2 months, something is wrong :lol:.

BTW, nice sig, but weve had two 6"+ snowstorms and one 9"+ snowstorm (if you are using official numbers at DTW)

Wasn't for the blizzard this winter would easily get a F. Blizzard dictates i have to ( even though i don't want to ) give it atleast a D- though. Basically a winter i would rather forget.

Personally i am hoping for a torch to end all torches and just end this thing and get the below normal season out of the way. It was a nice run ( above normal seasonal snowfall from 06-07 till 09-10 ) so really can't complain.

Wasn't for the blizzard this winter would easily get a F. Blizzard dictates i have to ( even though i don't want to ) give it atleast a D- though. Basically a winter i would rather forget.

Personally i am hoping for a torch to end all torches and just end this thing and get the below normal season out of the way. It was a nice run ( above normal seasonal snowfall from 06-07 till 09-10 ) so really can't complain.

It's always something how 150-200 miles, give or take a few, can make a difference in one's winter sometimes. This season has been great for me while not so much for you. The opposite was true with the 08-09 winter, one in which I would give a D at best for LAF...yet it was very good for BTL.

It's always something how 150-200 miles, give or take a few, can make a difference in one's winter sometimes. This season has been great for me while not so much for you. The opposite was true with the 08-09 winter, one in which I would give a D at best for LAF...yet it was very good for BTL.

Yeah that is usually how it works. There will always be a screw zone and i seem to be it this winter. I was due. I believe last winter it was the guys in Toronto and MKE who got the major shafting. Only 07-08 was good for all and unfortunately those types of winters seem to be rare.

B+ it is then. :P

Even if we don't get anymore snow, I'll still give an A/A-.

I can see it both ways. If we somehow don't get any more snow, then it's impressive that we would've racked up such a total in a relatively short period of time. But I'd still have to lean toward a B+.

Yeah that is usually how it works. There will always be a screw zone and i seem to be it this winter. I was due. I believe last winter it was the guys in Toronto and MKE who got the major shafting. Only 07-08 was good for all and unfortunately those types of winters seem to be rare.

Yeah, last year was death for us in Toronto. But I think MKE did ok. Something like 40", which was aided by the freak LES event. Obviously not stellar, but not like the 23" of bs I got here.

I can see it both ways. If we somehow don't get any more snow, then it's impressive that we would've racked up such a total in a relatively short period of time. But I'd still have to lean toward a B+.

I give a lot of credit to Dec 1 to Feb 14 with this winter I guess. What did we have, like 7-8 days without snow on the ground in LAF? That's pretty remarkable for a notoriously crappy snow location. Plus the 45" is even more impressive, like you said, in a relatively short amount of time. But I won't lie and say that there won't still be something missing from this winter if we get shut out the rest of the way...which certainly looks possible at the moment. Kinda reminds me of 07-08, where if we could have gotten into the March 08 storm...that winter would have gone near epic for us in terms of snowfall. Bottom line, we just can't close it out here in LAF. :arrowhead:

I give a lot of credit to Dec 1 to Feb 14 with this winter I guess. What did we have, like 7-8 days without snow on the ground in LAF? That's pretty remarkable for a notoriously crappy snow location. Plus the 45" is even more impressive, like you said, in a relatively short amount of time. But I won't lie and say that there will still be something missing from this winter if we get shut out the rest of the way...which certainly looks possible at the moment. Kinda reminds me of 07-08, where if we could have gotten into the March 08 storm...that winter would have gone near epic for us in terms of snowfall. Bottom line, we just can't close it out here in LAF. :arrowhead:

There's still time for something so we'll see. I won't be going lower than B+ though for the final grade no matter what happens from here on out.

Yeah, last year was death for us in Toronto. But I think MKE did ok. Something like 40", which was aided by the freak LES event. Obviously not stellar, but not like the 23" of bs I got here.

40" is still below normal by almost 20" for MKE. You had a exceptionally crappy winter that i would not wish on my worst enemy. Part of how i grade is vs how nearby areas did. Thus why this winter is getting a very low grade as most others nearby have done pretty good and or at or above normal. MKE got 40 last winter and i think areas not to far south of there did much better even here for that matter did alot better so not sure they would call that ok and i can't blame them either. That's me though..

40" is still below normal by almost 20" for MKE. You had a exceptionally crappy winter that i would not wish on my worst enemy. Part of how i grade is vs how nearby areas did. Thus why this winter is getting a very low grade as most others nearby have done pretty good and or at or above normal. MKE got 40 last winter and i think areas not to far south of there did much better even here for that matter did alot better so not sure they would call that ok and i can't blame them either. That's me though..

I didn't realize MKE averaged 60". I thought they were similar to over hear (low 50s). Yeah, that's less than ok winter, although still not a disaster.

52.4" for MKE with the 71-00 normals and 38.3" for the 09-10 season, regardless a below normal season. But like you guys said, YYZ took the brunt of last year's disaster. That was awful.

Hmm... Thanks. Could have sworn i saw something closer to 60 for there. :arrowhead:

No problem. Here's the breakdown for MKE

#STATION: WI475479 XNP MILWAUKEE MITCHELL AP                 454                                        
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------       
1971-2000 Daily/Monthly Station Normals                                                                
Provided by National Climatic Data Center/NESDIS/NOAA                                                  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------       
Station COOP ID:                           475479                                                      
Station Name, State, Division, Call:       MILWAUKEE MITCHELL AP              WI 09 MKE                
Latitude, Longitude, Elevation, Elements:  42 56 48 -087 53 49   672 XNP                               
Mean Snowfall (tenths of an inch, T = Trace)                                                          
DAY  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  MONTH
JAN   5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  5  4  4  4    152
FEB   5  5  5  5  5  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  3  3  3  3             113
MAR   3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2     74
APR   1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  T  T  T  T        26
MAY   1  T  T  T  T  T  T  T  T  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0      1
JUN   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0         0
JUL   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0      0
AUG   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0      0
SEP   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0         0
OCT   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  T  T  1  1  1  1      4
NOV   T  T  T  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2        37
DEC   2  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  4  5  5  5  5  5    117

Cold Weather B+ ... for Brookings it's normal to have several rounds where temps hit 10 to 30 below at night. So far this winter this has only happened once. The bitter cold air has stayed in canada and the warm spell in Feb (warm being 35-45 for a high) which melted about a foot of our 20-25 inch snowpack was a nice touch. We will be adding to that today, we have already. No bitter cold air equals higher rating for me. Since it's always 'cold' here in the winter.

Snow Depth A- ... It was around 25 inches until the last week or two... then down to a foot, now another 6 inches this morning, so maybe 18 inches. All the farmland covered in snow, all the corn stalks covered in snow.. white as far as the eye can see. There is a rather sharp cutoff line in the snow depth.. 50 miles south in Sioux Falls, just a few inches on the ground before this storm, and more of a sleet event for them today. Brookings has a considerably cooler climate profile then SF because of the ridge.

Snowstorms A- ... in the 6 years or so I've lived out here we've never had schools closed 3 consecutive days.. but the last snowstorm before this one did just that. Very light arctic snow that piled up fast and blew all over the place for days.

So Far its been an A- winter... not too bitter cold, lots of snow.. couldn't ask for much more. This after a great winter last winter, and near record to record precipitation during the summer for this area. The rivers should crest near record levels this spring, near the levels that they were at last september actually, after all that rain the big sioux hit it's second highest crest 'on record' in some locations.. the warm spell we had melted some snow, but not much of it actually made it to the river.. now it's cold again and it will all freeze, it has already.

Archived