• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Grade your winter so far

Hoosier

For SE Michigan I would say a C-. We are close to our normal snowfall to date, but it has come in small chucks. We have had only one Watch/Warning. Normally by now we would have averaged 3 or 4 Watches, and sometimes we get in less than 10 days. Aside from the 6.3 inches on December 12th, we did not have any daily snowfall over an inch until this past week. Another unusual aspect of this winter.

I agree with this. It would have been a D/D- had it not been for yesterday's system.

We may eek out a B/B+/B- for the entire season depending on how Feburary & March play out.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Have a better sample now to give a more representative grade. If winter were to end today I'd give it a C/C-. Below average snowfall and no big snow storm, but a solid 6 week stretch of frequent moderate snowfalls, deep snow cover, and cold temperatures. Had some impressive LES events as well, in an area that doesn't usually get more than nuisance snow from LES.

If I get to 48"/see a 6" storm, the grade will go up a full letter.

Wow, tough grader lol! I give it a B+. Except for Jan 1-5, the ground has been white almost all winter since early December, which is a HUGE plus for me. Snowcover days above normal, snowfall (after today) near normal, maybe just a tad below. We had one awesome storm Dec 12th and nothing else really exciting as you pointed out, dribs and drabs until this week. If todays storm failed it probably would have been a B/B-, but this storm appears to be meeting or exceeding expectations, just as the Dec 12th storm did. (its just been a lack of excitement in between, but really none of our nowcast storms has undeperformed). Plus the extended looks sweet...stay tuned!

Im changing my current grade as of mid-February to an A.

We are at 60 days and counting with 1"+ snowcover (average for entire season is 49 days), and most of these days have been deep snowcover (44 and counting have been 5"+, with over a foot for nearly 2 weeks now).

We have now reached normal snowfall for the entire season and its mid-February (44.0" at DTW, 43.2" imby).

Temps have been consistently below normal.

Weve had 2 snowstorms of 6"+ (6.3" and 10.1").

So.....the final grade will end up between A- and A+. Even in the extremely unlikely worst case scenario that winter ends (snowise) completely with the coming torch and the ground goes bare for good Friday, weve still well exceeded normal for snowcover, hit normal snowfall, had 2 warning snowstorms and a surprise out of nowhere high advisory storm, and had a colder than avg winter. I cant possibly knock it any lower than A-. And of course, if we get some epic stretch of snowfall or some epic snowstorm the rest of the way, I will bump up to A+.

B+

a solid "B/B+" for winter

many nickel and dime events, maybe even a "quarter" event has pushed the snow total above average, over doubled now, but not a huge storm yet (ie 10-12+) inches, I was under a blizzard warning but it was a modern water down version with only 3-4 inches of snow.....

Bonus points for the Tornado warning on New years eve day..

so B+/A- range

A+

,the 15 inch blizzard with thundersnow and 60MPH winds sealed the deal........

only 5 inches from all time seasonal snowfall record..currently 2nd

btw...just how I weigh my grade (roughly):

35% total seasonal snowfall

35% # of large snowstorms

15% frequency of snowfall

10% snow depth/cover

5% cold

I'm sure Josh's breakdown is the complete opposite. :)

:) I dont really have a scale, or at least never thought about it, but really if I think about it, heres how my approximate grading goes:

40% snowcover/snow depth (probably 25% snowcover/15% snow depth)

20% total snowfall

20% frequency of snowfall

15% biggest snowstorm and/or # of decent snowfalls

5% cold

I am 20 years old and have lived my entire life in northern Illinois. Therefore, I suffered through a good many very lacklustre winters through the 1990's and first half of the 2000's. (The '99 blizzard and December 2000 were aberrations.) Comparing this winter to that set of winters, I give this winter an A/A+: an A+ if some another storm and/or cold-wave (or two) occur after this week's warm-up, an A if virtually nothing else happened after today.

All that said, it might be more useful to compare this winter to the last five or six, as those have been more interesting. Characteristics as I see them:

2005-2006: very cold and snowy first half of December, but rather mild and snow-free thereafter, especially in January (when the temperature never fell below 20 degrees).

2006-2007: a rather significant snowstorm on 1 December followed by bitter cold and smaller snowfalls in the two weeks following but very mild around Christmas and just not memorable until mid-January; after that point, cold became more frequent with some snow, and February was much more interesting with a ten-day stretch during which sub-zero temperatures were recorded every night and a veritable snowstorm just before Valentine's Day. First winter since 2000-2001 with above-normal snowfall of near 45".

2007-2008: a winter which, overall, had many storm systems, most of which produced snow, though the systems generally hit hardest across the northernmost tier of Illinois counties and across the southern third or so of Wisconsin. Even so, had 82" of snow--even March had some snow of note that year--but I cannot remember any particular snowfall. Also, there were several breaks in the snow-pack during warm spells, the most notable one in early January. No long-lived Arctic outbreaks, but there were several spurts of cold.

2008-2009: December had frequent snowfall and cold--had just over 30" that month alone; early January followed up with a good snow (not forecasted well--if I recall) on the second weekend and historic cold the following week, when temperatures dropped to 26 below zero, followed by continued cold and occasional moderate snowfalls into early February. February was disappointing that winter but not entirely without snow. There were even late March (3.9") and early April (3.7") snowfalls for a seasonal total of 62" with a nearly continuous snow-pack between 1 December and about the second week of February (about as good as this winter's).

2009-2010: December began with very mild temperatures, but there was a snowstorm that scraped us nicely during the second week, followed by fairly cold temperatures and a few moderate snowfalls until just before Christmas. Christmas was brown and mild but was followed by a 14.2" snowfall on 26 December; that storm was not forecasted well at all by the NWS, and its snow was nearly as heavy as the recent blizzard (though without the wind). January began cold and featured a 6" snow during its second week but was unmemorable in the second half. February was fairly wintry with a few moderate snowfalls during the first few days, a minor snowstorm (6" again) around the 10th, and a little more snow later in the third week. Overall, there was very little Arctic-type cold though the moderate cold was very persistent. Seasonal snow total was 58".

2010-2011: Winter flicked on like a switch on 1 December, and December was a very active month for northern stream shortwave trough snowfalls, the largest two of which occurred on the first weekend of the month and on Christmas Eve, though the month ended as the least snowy December since 2006. January had below-normal snowfall and persistent, non-Arctic cold; it is not too memorable, and it was a couple of weeks ago. February began with the blizzard--more snow than January 1999 and January 1979, shorter duration than Jan 1999, windier than all them, and more thunder than all them--which, therefore, may have been the greatest on the local climate record. It certainly brought the snow depth, already persistent since the end of January's first week, to 25", the deepest after 1979. It was pretty cold following it, but it is 45 degrees today and to be a warm week ahead, overall.

Ranking of the last six winters: 2007-2008 > 2008-2009 = 2010-2011 > 2009-2010 > 2006-2007 > 2005-2006

I would say that the first three rank very closely to each other; also, the blizzard elevates the ranking of 2010-2011 from being tied with 2006-2007. Compared with the other five, 2010-2011 gets an A-, only because of the blizzard, and, otherwise, it would have made a B-.

I would have to give it an A-.

Overall, it was a decent winter, I will take cold and dry over mild and wet. At least the cold air kept it feeling like winter while the desultory little snow events kept the ground white throughout January. Until we got the blizzard, I would have given this winter a C+, the blizzard raised it to a A-.

A- for me. Probably the snowiest winter I can remember with snow on the ground since nearly Dec. 1st (The first few days of Jan. had the thaw but still had large piles.) We just kept lucking out with 3-5 inch snows a near certain every 5-10 days. The only thing that would have made this an A+ would be a blizzard. I've never been under a blizzard warning. But I cant complain, I recieved nearly 7 inches from the surprise snowstorm 2 weekends ago. The snow was incredible and the rates were over an inch an hour for hours. We still have time but unless I get my blizzard Im ready for spring thunderstorms!

For SE Michigan I would say a C-. We are close to our normal snowfall to date, but it has come in small chucks. We have had only one Watch/Warning. Normally by now we would have averaged 3 or 4 Watches, and sometimes we get in less than 10 days. Aside from the 6.3 inches on December 12th, we did not have any daily snowfall over an inch until this past week. Another unusual aspect of this winter.

Agree. I also give a C- due to the fact when we had that massive blizzard, we busted IMO, got only 10", with winds not even reaching Blizzard criteria. Plus the lack of warnings/watches. For the snow cover, I give a B.

Agree. I also give a C- due to the fact when we had that massive blizzard, we busted IMO, got only 10", with winds not even reaching Blizzard criteria. Plus the lack of warnings/watches. For the snow cover, I give a B.

I knew somebody would complain about only getting 10 inches of snow from that storm. lol

I'll bump the grade up to a B-.

Like I said, this winter has been a 09-10/08-09 hybrid.

I'll easily bump it up to a B+ if I can get a storm that surpasses December 19th, 2008 (in terms of snowfall rates/snowflake size and total accumulation).

I've thought about it, but there's no way I can see myself giving this winter an A given how lackluster our snowstorms have been and how boring the fisrt half of it was.

Bordering B+ I hate blizzards but since this one was a bonerfide one I must give it its proper dues. If winter ended last friday the grade will slip back down to more avg. and C+.. Get one more warning s-storm or at least 15" total by the end of the season and its up to an A- It will take a lot of work to get an A/+ after I was spoiled with 07/08.

B

If winter ended today we'd only have an average snow total, but it has been fairly satisfying. We missed out on some big early December storms, but hit near the bullseye on a strong hybrid clipper on Christmas Eve. January was fairy boring, but we got hit pretty good by the Groundhog Day blizzard. So, average cold air plus two 8+ inch snow events equals a B.

B Seasonal Snowfall - We have reached our average for the year - No more snow would obviously take it down to a C

C Large Storms - We average one 6" storm a year. We got ours with help from all of the sleet

A Frequency of snowfall - 62 days of at least a Trace so far

A+ Snow depth/cover - 72 days of at least a Trace

A Cold - much below average

B+ Overall Grade - would be an A, but I weight heavier to large storms

Keep in mind, Patricks post you quoted was from January 11th, when at that time we only had the one warning snowstorm (Dec 12th). Since then weve had 3 warning/advisory events (Jan 12, Feb 1/2, Feb 5) and a slew of nickel/dimes so season snowfall is above normal to date. Snowcover of course has been way above normal. Were you saying the snowcover bumped your grade from a C- to B?

Cold Weather A- 91%

Snow Depth B 85%

Snowstorms C- 72%

So Far its been a 80% Winter B-

Cold Weather and long snow depth saved this winter

Interesting idea splitting it up...I would go so far

Cold Weather A 95%

Snow Depth A+ 100%

Snowstorms B 85%

So Far its been a 93% Winter A

Of course, winter/snow has a long way to go, so this grade may change, but as I said I cant see going any lower than A-

Archived