EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 4" on the ground. Winds picking up more. Probably hitting 30mph in some gusts. EEN vis down to 0.50sm

I'm curious to see an updated snowfall graphic from Taunton

up to about 5" here..agreed about the winds...was just out measuring...really picked up from about 2 hours ago. Nice band about to move in within the next half hour too.

Really ripping here in Woburn...

OT - Woburn police officer shot and killed in an armed robbery attempt at Kohl's in east Woburn. Hoping it's nobody I know...sad night. Jack MacGwire...

Was listening to that on the scanner, really sad stuff. As someone who's going into law enforcement, really hits home how dangerous of a job I'm getting myself into and the **** our officers go through everyday. Shot by someone for what? A couple of bucks?....awful

Models and prior history with this event show it's going to likely be a split for awhile. The band from hell may have a mix/rain on the SE 1/4 for a time before it collapses temp wise but warmer air is going to push back towards if not into Boston in the next 2-4 hours before falling ESE. Dynamics may overcome it.

The dry punch was well modeled. Everyone will bitc* that it wasn't but it was. We talked about it off and on for two days. A 700mb low wrapping up on the Jersey coast screams it and there were plenty of hints within the layers of it. The problem is it wasn't classic and wasnt a shutoff to precip, just mid level drying, it got snuffed as it moved NE but it's still very evident on the water vapor and the NAM finally caught it at init at 7h. I don't think any of us thought it would effect temps like it did/convective nature of precip with some weird layers in the mix.

We can see that the heavy eastern band is going to be from about Will NNE into Ski country and SE towards Bob towards me (boston/south shore of course included) with the core of it somewhere in that mix. Se portion will be slop for at least another 2-4 hours.

Someone in that zone will have enough QPF for another 10-15" of snow if it is snow!

Add that to 10" totals already in that little circle around randolph/canton/easton/sharon etc etc and it's an impressive storm. I just wish a 960mb low could have croaked all of you with 2 feet.

Just measured 9.2" here in Norwood, MA. That's an average of 16 measurements around my apartment 4drcomplex.

excellent .

i went back to big flakes around 915 or so in bridgewater, ma right by the

nip

after a period of sleet around 830. made an 8.5 foot tall snow man.

not accumulating that fast i dont think as s ide walk seems to have gained only around 1/2 inch or so in last 75 minutes. not awful but ratios

are low.

edit. huge flakes heavier snow and low vis. damn thank you for not going to rain now. cross fingers

Is that sleet I'm hearing hitting the screen? Might just be the snow as it's being propelled into the window screen.

Many are getting snow pellets...go out and look. If they're clear it's sleet (PL)...if they're white it's snow pellets (GS). Not sure if you saw my ob earlier, but I was getting 1/4" diam snow pellets. You're a convective weenie so you should like it.

Models and prior history with this event show it's going to likely be a split for awhile. The band from hell may have a mix/rain on the SE 1/4 for a time before it collapses temp wise but warmer air is going to push back towards if not into Boston in the next 2-4 hours before falling ESE. Dynamics may overcome it.

The dry punch was well modeled. Everyone will bitc* that it wasn't but it was. We talked about it off and on for two days. A 700mb low wrapping up on the Jersey coast screams it and there were plenty of hints within the layers of it. The problem is it wasn't classic and wasnt a shutoff to precip, just mid level drying, it got snuffed as it moved NE but it's still very evident on the water vapor and the NAM finally caught it at init at 7h. I don't think any of us thought it would effect temps like it did/convective nature of precip with some weird layers in the mix.

We can see that the heavy eastern band is going to be from about Will NNE into Ski country and SE towards Bob towards me (boston/south shore of course included) with the core of it somewhere in that mix. Se portion will be slop for at least another 2-4 hours.

Someone in that zone will have enough QPF for another 10-15" of snow if it is snow!

Add that to 10" totals already in that little circle around randolph/canton/easton/sharon etc etc and it's an impressive storm. I just wish a 960mb low could have croaked all of you with 2 feet.

I think I"m going to get 18 inches at least. I'm closing in on 10-12 per eyeball and it's ripping snow....and radar doesn't show much end for awhile. ..still 24.7.

Oh yes, thank you. Not talking about this one though.

It's a straight link, can't remember what the site was.

I do know its the dry air, I just want to take a peek at the speed of the system on a loop

Here you go. I've had this updating throughout the evening. Can start to see the dry air punch shifting east, with cooling cloud tops shifting east as well. Impressive storm on satellite!

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/satellite/displaySat.php?region=ALB&itype=wv&size=large&endDate=20101226&endTime=-1&duration=11

Many are getting snow pellets...go out and look. If they're clear it's sleet (PL)...if they're white it's snow pellets (GS). Not sure if you saw my ob earlier, but I was getting 1/4" diam snow pellets. You're a convective weenie so you should like it.

Just went outside...whatever is going on it's like either lightly snowing out or it's just blowing snow...no sleet or snow pellets, I think the sound against the screen was just the wind blowing some snow against the screen and since the wind is quite strong at times it enhances the noise.

Archived