• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

12 minutes ago, psv88 said:

May be a lot of people moving back north from Florida…

They already are, there's been articles in the NYT & WSJ about it.  Many are moving to GA & NC it seems.  Some are moving back to the NYC area as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Happy the freak snow band in that one event got me to pretty much normal at 28.75" for the season and like 22 days of snowcover for the year.  Snow normal, temps even close.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

They already are, there's been articles in the NYT & WSJ about it.  Many are moving to GA & NC it seems.  Some are moving back to the NYC area as well.

It's still booming-my folks are in Naples in the winter and the construction there is crazy

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Not sure why it matters that the warming may be largely from lows. Warmer is warmer. High lows means fewer mornings with frosts and freezes that kill bugs. One could argue that higher lows has more of an impact on that environment than higher highs

Because "hot days" are defined by the number of times it hits 90 degrees.  How hot a summer is, is tangibly defined that way.  I'm done with the humidity driven overnight lows.  Higher lows come from humidity, while actual heat determines how many times we hit 90 degrees.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It's still booming-my folks are in Naples in the winter and the construction there is crazy

I don't doubt that one bit.  The inflow of new residents is still outpacing those moving out, but some are moving out after having settled in FL for a year or so.

1 minute ago, uofmiami said:

I don't doubt that one bit.  The inflow of new residents is still outpacing those moving out, but some are moving out after having settled in FL for a year or so.

Yeah I read that article too.  Summers there would be brutal honestly.    Even when I've been in mid April the sun beating down is tough.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HailMan06 said:

Yup one more Andrew but shifted 25-40 miles north and it’s lights out for Florida’s economy.

Andrew was small. The storms today are wider with more damage potential. Frankly, same threat in NYC.

Florida is a little overheated right now and it cant continue like that. What was once cheap isnt as cheap anymore because of demand. Hence GA and the Carolinas.

The SE will continue to grow at the expense of places like NY as they have the right combo of low taxes, low cost of living, newer housing stock, and better weather plus a ton of business opportunities.

If you can afford to live in Westchester or on the north shore of Long Island and you work from home, you could have a nice suburban life here for an exorbitant cost. If you live in Queens like I used to, you are giving half your pay check to a landlord to live in an apartment that your grandparents grew up in and everything around you is old, broken, small and/ or dirty. Everything from food shopping to the Post Office to the gym is subpar to every other part of America. 

That is why SE wins and few if any move back

• Like 2

Periods of rain and some thunderstorms are likely tonight into tomorrow. Much of the region will pick up 0.50"-1.50" of rain with some locally higher amounts. The wind could gust past 40 mph tonight into tomorrow.

In the wake of the storm, a dry weekend will follow. It will turn briefly cooler on Saturday, but warmer air will quickly return starting on Sunday. Temperatures could again reach the 70s early next week.Even warmer temperatures are possible.

Given the near-term warmth and extended guidance, New York City's Central Park is all but certain to finish the 2023-2024 snow season with less than 10" of seasonal snowfall for a record second consecutive season. Records go back to 1869.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.1°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.2°C for the week centered around April 3. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.28°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.22°C. The ongoing basinwide El Niño event is fading. Neutral conditions could develop later in the spring.

The SOI was -15.14 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +3.117 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 79% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal April (1991-2020 normal). April will likely finish with a mean temperature near 56.1° (2.5° above normal).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Andrew was small. The storms today are wider with more damage potential. Frankly, same threat in NYC.

Florida is a little overheated right now and it cant continue like that. What was once cheap isnt as cheap anymore because of demand. Hence GA and the Carolinas.

The SE will continue to grow at the expense of places like NY as they have the right combo of low taxes, low cost of living, newer housing stock, and better weather plus a ton of business opportunities.

If you can afford to live in Westchester or on the north shore of Long Island and you work from home, you could have a nice suburban life here for an exorbitant cost. If you live in Queens like I used to, you are giving half your pay check to a landlord to live in an apartment that your grandparents grew up in and everything around you is old, broken, small and/ or dirty. Everything from food shopping to the Post Office to the gym is subpar to every other part of America. 

That is why SE wins and few if any move back

A 1926-type hit on Miami would be far more damaging today.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

Not sure why it matters that the warming may be largely from lows. Warmer is warmer. High lows means fewer mornings with frosts and freezes that kill bugs. One could argue that higher lows has more of an impact on that environment than higher highs

I'm not arguing at all against the fact it's warming.  Just stating that the lows have been contributing to our AN departures recently.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I'm not arguing at all against the fact it's warming.  Just stating that the lows have been contributing to our AN departures recently.

it's why our summers don't have the length of heatwaves they used to.  Look at the length of heatwaves from the 50s to the 90s vs what passes for heatwave now-- the differences are eyeopening.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Yeah I read that article too.  Summers there would be brutal honestly.    Even when I've been in mid April the sun beating down is tough.

People will likely be moving away from Miami because of sea level rise.  They already get sunny day flooding.  Projections are that a lot of that coastal population will be moving to Orlando and other points inland.

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I find it weird how it didn't affect Miami more than it did.  It must have been really small (maybe 5 miles wide?) because Miami is very close to the southern tip of Florida.

Downtown Miami is night and day difference compared to now with the amount of high rises.  Also, the wind radius was so tight on the storm as it came ashore that 10 miles made all the difference between 80 mph winds and those gusting to 200 mph.  Once N of Coral Gables the impacts lessened, while it got worse heading S to Homestead, which looked like a nuke went off.  I know at RSMAS on Virginia Key the storm surge was only 5 feet compared to 17 feet down by Homestead.

https://hurricanes.earth.miami.edu/stormtide/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

People will likely be moving away from Miami because of sea level rise.  They already get sunny day flooding.  Projections are that a lot of that coastal population will be moving to Orlando and other points inland.

King Tides, which I don't recall being a thing when I was down there for college from 95-00.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

I was just in the PBI area. Still a huge amount of new construction and influx of residents, however many are on their way back up here after Easter. The Space Coast/Tampa are the biggest areas for incoming residents. The area from PBI to Miami is unfortunately way overdue for a major hurricane. 

13 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Hopefully that ridge doesn't go away after the 20th.  In my experience once we hit 85, we usually don't go back to a cool pattern anymore

Depends how you define "cool" at that point

While it still looks like generally warmer weather next week than we have seen recently, it may not get quite as warm as models were indicating a few days ago. As we can often see this time of year, back doors have a way of popping up the closer in we get to a forecast period. 

New run stronger backdoor nearby

D4CCE0DD-C5DE-4DD4-8E5D-3B89650298B6.thumb.png.31519e9dd6d068837633b7e9ceb6a531.png

Old run weaker backdoor

EDF2222F-7212-47BE-9A59-8B8FA42AEB09.thumb.png.73d9027adc9cbc752f7d887f2ed4b708.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Because "hot days" are defined by the number of times it hits 90 degrees.  How hot a summer is, is tangibly defined that way.  I'm done with the humidity driven overnight lows.  Higher lows come from humidity, while actual heat determines how many times we hit 90 degrees.

90° days have been on the increase with numerous top 10 years since 2010. But the higher dewpoints are allowing the 70° minimums to increase at a faster rate.

B2F53F39-0C91-4974-9C48-20993D7684EE.thumb.jpeg.7fea9165473703ade2370cb2add4ac4a.jpeg

8D698533-96F7-4451-89E8-5435BDB4CAEB.thumb.jpeg.b430641e45967c6fa2fe042779796f77.jpeg

• Like 4

65 and rain, heavier rain moving on from the SW, 0.75 in the bucket so far.   Rain should end in the afternoon. Cooler dryer Sat , windy but still some lingering clouds.  Warmer Sun - Tue before clouds and cooler NE flow.  April 20th - April 24th looks cooler/unsettled from this far out before heights rise and warmer returns beyond there and to close the month on a warmer note.

GOES16-NE-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif