• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
14th Lawn and Garden Thread P Allen Smith 2024

As another snow season has its books closed with the chapter ending early and a warm Morch upon us. It’s time to clean the lawns. Fire up the blowers , pick up limbs, sticks , schedule mower tune ups, patio furniture out. Whatever it is that you do to get ready for warm season.. the time is here and now.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

• Damage In Tolland changed the title to 14th Lawn and Garden Thread P Allen Smith 2024
11 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Time to prune the fruit trees, should have already done it but I have a cord worth of branches and sticks in my yard.

I have 3 younger apples in a row…honeycrisp, galarina, and honeycrisp…and only the galarina got girdled by voles. The damn things dig under 1/2” hardware cloth fencing to get to it. 

But I cut down a couple of saggy birches last fall and man did the voles have a feast chewing that up. Maybe that’s the secret? Give then some young birch to chew and they’ll leave most of my other trees alone?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Heavy heavy moss from anti stein last year. Got to kill that off now. 

Yeah I have had a moss explosion on my north facing hill and shaded areas.  I thought moss was slow lol.  I have a significant gravel patch, like a Japanese-style garden and the moss is coming up through the stones.  Kill it now you say?  Chemicals or something?

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Heavy heavy moss from anti stein last year. Got to kill that off now. 

I'm convinced moss can grow under snow.  I have these pretty patches of moss all over the stone walls by the front steps and they're so fresh and bright and lime green right now.  I don't remember them being there in the fall.

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

I have 3 younger apples in a row…honeycrisp, galarina, and honeycrisp…and only the galarina got girdled by voles. The damn things dig under 1/2” hardware cloth fencing to get to it. 

But I cut down a couple of saggy birches last fall and man did the voles have a feast chewing that up. Maybe that’s the secret? Give then some young birch to chew and they’ll leave most of my other trees alone?

I've had success with stopping voles from girdling my sunflowers to death by wrapping the bottom 8 inches or so of trunk with steel window screen.  Easy to cut with scissors and bend:  https://a.co/d/hgLy7RN

• Like 3

Moss grows based on environmental conditions--usually shade, moisture and soil make up. Unless you change a couple of those, it will most likely come back. Raking and products can solve the problem short term, but long term will be fighting the moss battle without changing the reasons for it forming in the first place. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Moss grows based on environmental conditions--usually shade, moisture and soil make up. Unless you change a couple of those, it will most likely come back. Raking and products can solve the problem short term, but long term will be fighting the moss battle without changing the reasons for it forming in the first place. 

I think it’s mostly shade and moisture. But I will lime the shit out of it too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

Yeah I have had a moss explosion on my north facing hill and shaded areas.  I thought moss was slow lol.  I have a significant gravel patch, like a Japanese-style garden and the moss is coming up through the stones.  Kill it now you say?  Chemicals or something?

Dish detergent mixed with warm water(a gallon) is effective in killing moss.  Spray the moss with the mixture and allow 24-48 hours for the moss to die. Remove the dead moss. The key is to put the dead moss in a plastic bag to prevent as many  spores as possible  from being released.  

Raking live moss  allows for spores to be released which is why the moss will often grow back in the same area. Chemicals come with risks and the vast majority of people do not take precautions when using chemicals on their lawns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/5/2024 at 6:06 AM, SouthCoastMA said:

how to you kill it. moss ex was meh the one time I tried it a couple years ago

I've been told, but never tried it myself that you should put down crab grass control in the fall to the moss areas. Like I said, never tried it because i like the moss, but I know a couple people that swear by it, along with the obvious lime (pelletized lime FTW) etc.

First of all, who the hell is P Allen Smith?

got a little yard cleanup done on Saturday before the deluge. cleaned up 3 cart loads of branches, sticks and pine cones. Pine cones?!?! I don't even have any pine trees in my yard.

22 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

got a little yard cleanup done on Saturday before the deluge. cleaned up 3 cart loads of branches, sticks and pine cones. Pine cones?!?! I don't even have any pine trees in my yard.

image.webp.79366e373750572d7955d6f00784c903.webp

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

He’s here and he’s trying to reinvigorate your bulb. 

• Haha 1