Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

wdrag

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

No. Central Park stands at 7.5" after 2.0". There could still be some minor additional accumulation when the final report is posted.

Hey Don,

It's remarkable to think that if this band was a few miles north, or CPK was in the stronger bands during the last storm, they would easily be over 10 inches. This in of itself is quite remarkable.

Still time though.

• Like 2

Just now, Krs4Lfe said:

3.5 inches on tabletops in madison square park, report just came from Tomer Burg on twitter. If that park can get over 3", so can Central Park.

Official measurements are every 6 hours and don't happen on a tabletop.

• Like 2

I took a quick drive to check out the gradient in snow amounts associated with the death band that set up just to my south.  As a point of information I am located in Bethlehem Twp, PA and am situated between Route 22 and I78.  I received 4.5” here.  I drove 5 miles south towards I78.  I am going with estimates based upon amounts observed on car tops and roofs.  In the first 5 miles the amounts went from 4.5” to about 6” as I approached Hellertown, PA.  A spotter reported 11.2” there.  In the next 2 miles as I drove into Hellertown and under I78 the amounts rapidly increased from 6-10”.  Most of Hellertown looks to have in the neighborhood of 10-12” with the highest amounts on the south side of town.  This gradient really was like a LES band.  Very interesting event to follow.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

That's a sting jet, right? 

A sting jet is in the lower atmosphere right behind a very deep surface low. This is the upper jet. The front left sector gets some great lift. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

Official measurements are every 6 hours and don't happen on a tabletop.

Right about the table top wrong about how often.

Measurements are suppose to be taken immediately after the event is done so compression and melting do not take place and an accurate measurement of the maximum depth of the snow during the event can be assured. This is something they never do at Central Park. That's why they come in low through almost every event. It's pathetic but they rarely address it. The storm four days ago a text book case in point. 

5 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Right about the table top wrong about how often.

Measurements are suppose to be taken immediately after the event is done so compression and melting do not take place and an accurate measurement of the maximum depth of the snow during the event can be assured. This is something they never do at Central Park. That's why they come in low through almost every event. It's pathetic but they rarely address it. The storm four days ago a text book case in point. 

Yeah based on EWR and LGA its fairly likely they are like 0.5 too low on this event at least

• Like 3

91fbe47c7a5226dc2d3c0d9081cce179.jpg
This looks like the most I could find. For reference this bench is just over knee high. Gotta be right around a foot. Radar shows 0.75" liquid equivalent. It is a fluffy snow too.

Kinda pissed I didn't bring a ruler or tape measure. My personal measuring stick is no use either in the cold

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Hey Don,

It's remarkable to think that if this band was a few miles north, or CPK was in the stronger bands during the last storm, they would easily be over 10 inches. This in of itself is quite remarkable.

Still time though.

It happens. It was a very near miss. I still think Central Park will reach or exceed 10".

• Thanks 2