Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

2 minutes ago, Jersey Andrew said:

I think many of us love the long-tracking HECS potential. It’s what made 2016 and 2010 so much fun. Before the Internet and these boards, the aesthetics mattered more but now the excitement of EURO showing HECS at 1:30am is what keeps us going.

Yeah, these are two different paths to a memorable stretch of winter.

One is tracking an incoming HECS and experiencing incredible rates and sheer accumulations.

Another is getting a series of surprise/overperforming hits with cold and longer lasting snow pack… not necessarily MECS but how often do we get upgraded to a warning from an advisory twice in the same week?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

One is tracking an incoming HECS and experiencing incredible rates and sheer accumulations.

Another is getting a series of surprise/overperforming hits with cold and longer lasting snow pack… not necessarily MECS but how often do we get upgraded to a warning from an advisory twice in the same week?

Big storms are the apex of this game but they're too rare to base my satisfaction on. When a real chance shows up I go ape shit like anyone. But the odds are low and the breaks in between are too long. I don't like living my life feeling like I'm missing anything and I enjoy living in the moment more than anything. There were a ton of fun moments over the last week. What a blast 

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I got bullseye'd from that snow squall on Sunday, too.  That one set the table.  No complaints snow-wise...this was about as quality as it gets here for winter weather. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Big storms are the apex of this game but they're too rare to base my satisfaction on. When a real chance shows up I go ape shit like anyone. But the odds are low and the breaks in between are too long. I don't like living my life feeling like I'm missing anything and I enjoy living in the moment more than anything. There were a ton of fun moments over the last week. What a blast 

Thing is, we can rely on 3 seasons here, but winter is hit/miss.  Having a winter with at least the standard 2-3 snowstorms completes the puzzle.

6 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

Flurries left now from the band that is now south of me. It was okay. Lost it's umph before it got to me. Sidewalks didn't cave. Overall a good snow. Good snowpack on the ground heading into a below freezing day tomorrow. Woo hoo!

We did it…1 week break and back at it again

Impressive band developing in S DE heading your way.
image.thumb.png.f19432c58219d444b1b7a394fdde4202.png
Ended up having to drive to my second job in millsboro with that one.....fun times! Nice little storm. I'm sad we're shutout for 2-3 weeks now :(

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

likely final total here in gaithersburg is around 6.4"

I didn't clear a spot to measure proper but I am in Rockville and it sure seems like more than 6" but I hadn't seen anyone else report over 6" until your post.  I am going 6.4" but think its still snowing here.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

I didn't clear a spot to measure proper but I am in Rockville and it sure seems like more than 6" but I hadn't seen anyone else report over 6" until your post.  I am going 6.4" but think its still snowing here.

ik someone in germantown who has 7-8" bc of the constant banding the entire event over there, seems like 270 was the cutoff for that last band that just moved through

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

6.5" in G Burg south of 270.  Awesome storm.  Healthy snowpack.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AtlanticWx said:

7.5" here! I had the same totals as my friends in Gaithersburg & Clarksburg before hand, but we really lucked out with the squalls here. Picked up like 1.5" with the squalls, we really lucked out here lmfao

Yeah... seemed like I measured way too late.  Must have been lots of compaction with a 30 degree temp around 2pm.

• Like 1