Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Radar looks impressive down there. Kinda wish I were at DFH brew pub sipping a WWS watching it come down.

I'm stuck at work, but it is absolutely beautiful falling out the window... goose feathers.

• Like 1

After the morning boom we have been pretty much pixies out here. A few heavier bursts but I am only a bit over 3 for the event. These two events were about the same amount making my total for the year about 6.2 inches. Several have done better than me. We will see if we pick up anymore in snowshowers or squalls. The heavier stuff was just north and east. 

Haven’t even seen moderate snow since I woke up. Disappointing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's definitely some exposed road where the heaviest salt was now that rates are lighter and the sun is up higher. Unless I get under another band or it darkens a bit - the non snow covered surfaces aren't going to get stickage very well now. 

Looks like the heavy band shunted to the south, which is fine. Share the load!

still snowing good. Small flakes. Likely hit 5” but compaction might keep my new depth under that. Still that’s on top of the 3-4 inches from earlier this week. 

• Like 3

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm feeling like I'm in a good spot for the remainder of the storm.  I'm going to weenie my way to over 6" when that band sets up over me.  :snowwindow:  :weenie::snowwindow:

Fingers crossed! Radar is looking slightly better and I'm about to do another measurement.

• Like 1

Would love to somehow extend this into the evening. The difficulty to accumulate especially on paved surfaces in mid-day is real. Even with cold ground and decent rates. But certainly can't complain. Another overperformer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Think at this point we’d need a band to accumulate in Arlington/DC. Small pixie flakes and meh rates + sunshine won’t overcome the temps.

If that was it, my current best guess is 3.5”. I’ll see what the spotters say. Great event thus far.

Accumulation has been hard to come by here as well for the last 2 hours or so, even with decent returns. Would need to be in the yellows me thinks

Everyone should be happy here considering what was depicted two days ago. 

im guessing about 3.5-4.5” here in AdMo.  Light snow not doing much accumulation. But even if we don’t get under another band I’m happy as a clam with this one. The puppy is in heaven! 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Its that goddamn cloud angle again.  

I've been stuck at 2.5" as well.  Getting some fatties right now but would need this to keep going to offset compaction.  Its nice to see it snow so I'm happy as hell.  

2.5" already beat what i expected out of this storm

There's an easy fix for that - swipe and measure every hour.

• Haha 1

Just now, Wetbulbs88 said:

Everyone should be happy here considering what was depicted two days ago. 

im guessing about 3.5-4.5” here in AdMo.  Light snow not doing much accumulation. But even if we don’t get under another band I’m happy as a clam with this one. The puppy is in heaven! 

Last night was truly incredible around these parts.  As always we really require some intense daytime rates to get meaningful accumulation around here during the day.  Pretty standard stuff for DC proper at least.  This storm definitely exceeded my expectations though.