Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Rippage now.  I guess.  it’s been so long….ok probably nice moderate snow. Just measured .7” and 28.8.   Pork butt is at 175 so a ways to go…

I still say just SN but the far distance is now fuzzy instead of clear when it was the sizzle fest.

• Like 1

This is a reminder to pay zero attention to the HRRR for this storm unless it really gains a clue. It is off immensely at this point to where a certified meteorologist is not following it at all. It has been wrong the entire event so far. It had ZERO snow north of the Potomac for much of last night and didn’t have any until late runs as it was already happening. It has no snow in the area right now and we know for a fact it is dead wrong. 

Don’t bother. NBM is also too low on snow right now and it is because of the HRRR factor into the forecast. NAM Nest is doing a formidable job at the moment. Obs show a nice start and the best ascent is still to our south. Good stuff not till later. Enjoy and just watch it fall. Models be damned. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

This is a reminder to pay zero attention to the HRRR for this storm unless it really gains a clue. It is off immensely at this point to where a certified meteorologist is not following it at all. It has been wrong the entire event so far. It had ZERO snow north of the Potomac for much of last night and didn’t have any until late runs as it was already happening. It has no snow in the area right now and we know for a fact it is dead wrong. 

Don’t bother. NBM is also too low on snow right now and it is because of the HRRR factor into the forecast. NAM Nest is doing a formidable job at the moment. Obs show a nice start and the best ascent is still to our south. Good stuff not till later. Enjoy and just watch it fall. Models be damned. 

What did you think of the latest NAM Nest, if you don’t mind me asking? Looked to be a decent (and sorta dramatic, at range) shift towards getting us impacts from the coastal.

Do you buy that it would be FRZA for the metro if we get any coastal sloppy seconds?
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PWC Split said:

Can corroborate the 2 inches. I always take the last mow of the year down to 2 inches. No blades of grass visible = 2 inches of snow. Not exactly scientifically sound measuring, but works for my yard.

My grass is still poking out so I’m at bruesters overbuying half gallons of ice cream to help drive their sales today. We are doing milkshakes once the school caves. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I was just thinking that the NAM has had this cold. Many here continue to blast that model, when this is far from the first time that it's carried the day. Yes, it's streaky, but it's still often a better short-range model than the globals.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

What did you think of the latest NAM Nest, if you don’t mind me asking? Looked to be a decent (and sorta dramatic, at range) shift towards getting us impacts from the coastal.

Do you buy that it would be FRZA for the metro if we get any coastal sloppy seconds?

It’s been fairly steady so far with the handling of everything, so it might have some merit. Areas along and SE of 95 would have a shot at mixing if the coastal formed close to the coast. Just a nature of the flow between 925-800mb advecting warm air. Ocean temps are above normal right now as should be the case, so it would promote better warm component being ushered in within the BL. Those NW of 95 should be fine. It’ll be close imo for the district and surrounds, that’s if the guidance has the handle of the coastal enhancement correctly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Maybe they'll think twice about burying the NAM.

I haven't looked at the models today. Between working (if you can call it that) and watching the snowfall outside with a hot chocolate... it's nice to take winter all in at my new house. It's been a minute.

Bigger flakes, legit light snow, despite what the radar says. Moisture feed from Alabama/TN looks juicy

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I haven't looked at the models today. Between working (if you can call it that) and watching the snowfall outside with a hot chocolate... it's nice to take winter all in at my new house. It's been a minute.

Bigger flakes, legit light snow, despite what the radar says.

the NAM is like JB. once in a while it gets something right.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Thank you Millville. Just take a look at what is coming up from the WSW on any radar you care to use.

WSW is warranted.

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

The NAM struggles with synoptics for sure, but once it figures those out, it's pretty damn good with winter event details.    And to be clear, I'm focused on the 3 km NAM Nest, as the 12 km parent is meh.    There is no model better than the NAM Nest for resolving cold air damming, and while it sometimes runs too cold in the low levels when sorting out precip details, it's also really good at capturing warm layers that screw up a snow profile.     The RRFS has yet to prove competence in these areas, and the HRRR isn't great either, so we will miss the NAM on some days when it's gone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Steady light snow in Federal Hill/Inner Harbor of Baltimore. Still not sticking to pavement, but sticking well to everything else. I'd say about 3/4 inch on parked cars combined with what was there this morning.