• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Just about done. Sun poking through. 1.1"

5 even for the season

Yeah I just measured 1 inch. It's pressing to the south now and we're down to just flurries. Nice to freshen up the snow and much better than nothing, but still frustrating that the 3 inch snows missed us just a few miles to the south. 

If we end up with 5 (which is looking likely with a mild pattern the rest January) that's below normal for the month obviously, but much better than last January when we had nothing. At least this month wasn't a disaster. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

In kings park easily over an inch. Coming down heavy. Back on south shore and nothing 

So much for the south shore idea. Doh

although it’s been pretty steady here for the past hour. Maybe .2? Pretty pathetic regardless 

we got snow holed for a while, and when it was snowing, nothing stuck. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rmine1 said:

So much for the south shore idea. Doh

although it’s been pretty steady here for the past hour. Maybe .2? Pretty pathetic regardless 

we got snow holed for a while, and when it was snowing, nothing stuck. 

That’s why I drove to kings park. Different world up there today. 

1 minute ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

3 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Almost always is, but I’ll take our beaches over snow every time! 

34 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

In kings park easily over an inch. Coming down heavy. Back on south shore and nothing 

The grass is covered back up here on the south shore so it’s something. I’m sure it’s a lot better at my house where there’s maybe 2” new. Here in Long Beach it didn’t even cover my black car (which probably warmed up more from the sun). But grass/old snow is freshened up. 

• Like 1

Looks like we'll end up with our current total of 1.7".  Very light snow still falling and the temperature is 27°

Total snowfall for the month of January, and the entire winter season is 5.2".   We need another 3.5" to surpass last years low season total.  Our average season-to-date through January 19 is 12.2".

This is the 3rd day this month with 1" or more snowfall.  We haven't had a 2" snowfall since last March 14 (311 days).

The current snow depth is 3" which is comprised of roughly 50% each (by volume) of today's fluff and older icy snow.

I'm running out of trivial stats, so the above will have to suffice as my entry for the longest write-up of the least amount of snow.  So far Guinness hasn't called. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 2:30 pm we hit 2.7", but the snow has gone to light intensity since about 2:25 pm, so not sure if we can squeeze out another 0.3" to get to 3".  Still 29F.  

As of about 3:15 pm, the snow was definitely over and my final measurement was 2.8", which turns out to not be that far below my 3.3" prediction around noon yesterday, when the forecast was for 3-6", which I never really bought into since the models were generally showing 2-4" for us, so i went well below what was being forecast at that time. Still a bit on the high side relative to what we got, but then again, my guess is that 5-10 miles north of us most are likely under 2", just based on the radar loop.

Very nice, pretty storm and not too much inconvenience for most, I imagine, at least for shoveling, given how light and fluffy it was - was able to use a wide broom for 90% of it. There were definitely some impacts locally with snow covered local streets and even county roads for an hour or two - numerous fender benders reported, but nothing outrageous.

Brings us to 7.2" on the season, which shouldn't be too far below normal, which is likely about 11" at this point in the season.  

• Like 3

The limited accumulation is a direct result of the sun being clearly visible during the snow and the relatively low rates. If this were a heavier snow I don't think it would have been a problem. Sun angle really isn't an issue. There have been several events where it's in the 60s the day before a good snow here that continued through the daytime in February. 

• Like 2