• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

8 hours ago, RU848789 said:

As of about 3:15 pm, the snow was definitely over and my final measurement was 2.8", which turns out to not be that far below my 3.3" prediction around noon yesterday, when the forecast was for 3-6", which I never really bought into since the models were generally showing 2-4" for us, so i went well below what was being forecast at that time. Still a bit on the high side relative to what we got, but then again, my guess is that 5-10 miles north of us most are likely under 2", just based on the radar loop.

Very nice, pretty storm and not too much inconvenience for most, I imagine, at least for shoveling, given how light and fluffy it was - was able to use a wide broom for 90% of it. There were definitely some impacts locally with snow covered local streets and even county roads for an hour or two - numerous fender benders reported, but nothing outrageous.

Brings us to 7.2" on the season, which shouldn't be too far below normal, which is likely about 11" at this point in the season.  

Thought I posted this hours ago, but somehow I didn't post it here but did elsewhere (I post too many places during storms, lol).  

After shoveling then relaxing some, I went back outside to go run some errands and we had about 0.1" of new snow on the board, cars, etc., which must've fallen after dark, so my total is now up to 2.9" and our season total is up to 7.3". Every tenth helps, lol. Temp down to 27F.

I also calculated my snow:liquid ratio for the first time ever (used a roughly 11x11" square section I melted down) got 17.6" of snow per 1" of liquid.  I was guessing it was around 15-17, so 17.6 is believable. That means I only had 0.16" of liquid equivalent per 2.9" of snow depth. Just imagine if we had gotten the 0.3-0.4" of precipitation we were looking at on some models 2 days ago and had those ratios - would've been at least 6" of snow on the ground. Damn.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Thought I posted this hours ago, but somehow I didn't post it here but did elsewhere (I post too many places during storms, lol).  

After shoveling then relaxing some, I went back outside to go run some errands and we had about 0.1" of new snow on the board, cars, etc., which must've fallen after dark, so my total is now up to 2.9" and our season total is up to 7.3". Every tenth helps, lol. Temp down to 27F.

I also calculated my snow:liquid ratio for the first time ever (used a roughly 11x11" square section I melted down) got 17.6" of snow per 1" of liquid.  I was guessing it was around 15-17, so 17.6 is believable. That means I only had 0.16" of liquid equivalent per 2.9" of snow depth. Just imagine if we had gotten the 0.3-0.4" of precipitation we were looking at on some models 2 days ago and had those ratios - would've been at least 6" of snow on the ground. Damn.

Hard to say what your snow depth / measured snowfall would have been with twice as much LE.  It was a short enough duration and light enough snowfall that the ratios might have been similar, but there's a sort of "terminal velocity" with high snow ratios.  Even with fluff, when there is enough of it piling on, the underlying fluff starts to compress pretty fast.  Those big lake effect totals would be much less (but still impressive) if they weren't wiping a board and starting over multiple times during an event. 

As an aside I'm not aware of any change to the standard that snowboards should be wiped once per day.  I think FAA regs call for 6 hours, but NWS specs are once per day.  Unless that has changed and I didn't get the memo.  I do see a lot of different opinions from responsible people. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Picard said:

We made it to 1.5" in Sparta.  Been pleasantly surprised with a little burst this evening - even though there isn't much on radar.  I was just out, roads are slick in spots, caution is warranted.  In fact, it's still snowing some, and I can see both the moon and Venus breaking through.

Yep--I picked up almost an inch between 430-6P.  final here in this part of Wantage 2.5. I see most of northern SC 2+. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Hard to say what your snow depth / measured snowfall would have been with twice as much LE.  It was a short enough duration and light enough snowfall that the ratios might have been similar, but there's a sort of "terminal velocity" with high snow ratios.  Even with fluff, when there is enough of it piling on, the underlying fluff starts to compress pretty fast.  Those big lake effect totals would be much less (but still impressive) if they weren't wiping a board and starting over multiple times during an event. 

As an aside I'm not aware of any change to the standard that snowboards should be wiped once per day.  I think FAA regs call for 6 hours, but NWS specs are once per day.  Unless that has changed and I didn't get the memo.  I do see a lot of different opinions from responsible people. 

Right that reminds me of January 2016 when we had 3 inches liquid equivalent; it looked like a lot of fluff, but with the high winds and the weight of the snow it ended up being around 11:1

14 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

We had 2 storms a few days (weeks?) apart, one was 14" and one was 17" in Oceanside. That's the winter that cemented my weather weenie status. 

Was one in January and the other one in February? I think the January one was probably the 14" (close to the total in NYC) and the other one was around 18" (but JFK reported that as 14" too for some reason, even though there was more snow to the east of NYC, which recorded 18".

48 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Was one in January and the other one in February? I think the January one was probably the 14" (close to the total in NYC) and the other one was around 18" (but JFK reported that as 14" too for some reason, even though there was more snow to the east of NYC, which recorded 18".

Sounds right. The old memory banks aren't so efficient anymore :oldman:

2 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Correct for philly but for nyc that's Tuesdays event. Upton never put one out for yesterday that I saw. Probably had so few reports they didn't bother

I think the question now is will Central Park record a total snowfall of under 10 inches for the season?. Never had 2 seasons in a row in recorded history under 10 inches - came close in 96 -97 , 97-98 - right now IMO 50-50 chance of that happening as the rest of January - very litttle snowfall and February doesn't look promising.........

monthlyseasonalsnowfall.pdf (weather.gov)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

I think the question now is will Central Park record a total snowfall of under 10 inches for the season?. Never had 2 seasons in a row in recorded history under 10 inches - came close in 96 -97 , 97-98 - right now IMO 50-50 chance of that happening as the rest of January - very litttle snowfall and February doesn't look promising.........

monthlyseasonalsnowfall.pdf (weather.gov)

Also shows how timing/luck plays in. If the last storm was a little farther north, the first storm intensified a little earlier/deeper. 

• Like 1

Summary 1/19/24 event:  Variable 1-3" snowfall in the sNYC ubforum with less than 1" parts of Li/NYC area and 3" or more high terrain around the Northwest edge per satellite-human interface.  General 3-6" DCA-BWI-PHL up to near or just south of I78.   GEFS best modeled snowfall upon thread initiation (Sunday the 14th) and overall 5 day target was decent with a tendency for modeling southward slippage toward MD as T0 (Friday the 19th) drew closer. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 10.15.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 10.08.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 10.02.22 AM.png

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Summary 1/19/24 event:  Variable 1-3" snowfall in the sNYC ubforum with less than 1" parts of Li/NYC area and 3" or more high terrain around the Northwest edge per satellite-human interface.  General 3-6" DCA-BWI-PHL up to near or just south of I78.   GEFS best modeled snowfall upon thread initiation (Sunday the 14th) and overall 5 day target was decent with a tendency for modeling southward slippage toward MD as T0 (Friday the 19th) drew closer. 

North shore of Nassau and Suffolk is underdone. Many areas 1.5-2.0” of snow.  I probably had closer to 2” but didn’t measure until late 

actually have a decent pack on the ground now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, wdrag said:

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

North shore of Nassau and Suffolk is underdone. Many areas 1.5-2.0” of snow.  I probably had closer to 2” but didn’t measure until late 

Kings park definitely had at least a minimum of 1” maybe 1.5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Kings park definitely had at least a minimum of 1” maybe 1.5

I’d say there was 1.5” or so here given the additional vs what I saw when I left. Fluff and it was interesting how some meso models saw the bonus on the north shore. Very wintry scene. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wdrag said:

Walt is that a report of 13.7" I see over NE PA lol?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’d say there was 1.5” or so here given the additional vs what I saw when I left. Fluff and it was interesting how some meso models saw the bonus on the north shore. Very wintry scene. 

I see a report of 1.0" from near JFK that I doubt, and that 13.7" over NE PA looks really doubtful lol.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Yeah - agree. Ed (northshorewx I think ) lives a few block due north of me in Smithtown (next to Kings Park ) and it was close to 2” eyeing it up but was MUCH more than where I work near Islip airport where we had essentially nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1