• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

Congrats to all under a WWA. Bubkis out here in the tropics. I got called out for calling for mostly snain for the immediate coast, and lo and behold….,

• Sad 1

Just now, Rmine1 said:

Congrats to all under a WWA. Bubkis out here in the tropics. I got called out for calling for mostly snain for the immediate coast, and lo and behold….,

There is a good 6-9 period of snow for the immediate coast too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SI Mailman said:

.9 before midnight and another .9 after

Good point.  .8 before midnight and 1.0 afterwards and we see headlines about the snow drought ending.  The exact same snowfall starting a few minutes earlier and the headlines are the opposite.  Where'd they put that old face palm emoji?

I think this could be a bit of an overperformer just based on precedent. I've seen many times with these smaller events when the models beef up a bit at the last minute especially in a widespread event like this and the higher end totals verify. Of course there's a ceiling to this but I wouldn't be surprised to see some 4-5" totals somewhere.

Given the cold BL air mass (even if midlevels warm a bit), the threat of a glaze of ice should be taken seriously. Even a small glaze of ice can snarl traffic and sidewalks. I am not saying that this will be an ice storm, but, with how cold the BL will be, I would say a glaze of ice may be more noteworthy than normal. 

6 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Agree

Looking better for inland areas compared to earlier in the week. 

Dew points out here have been in the single digits since the middle of yesterday evening.  This very cold and very dry airmass will be an important player in precip start times, qpf, and ratios especially north and west of the city.  

• Like 2