Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday, January 9 Rain and Wind Storm

Weather Will

17 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

RadarScope precip depiction says it's snowing at Mt. PSU.

edit:  It also says it's snowing in Hanover and but the cam says otherwise.

Coworker who lives in Hanover say its just rain, but did snow around 730 briefly

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, H2O said:

A 2" rain this last weekend and a 1" rain today with 40mph winds will have some trees down.  Again, I'm ok with schools doing what they feel is best to keep kids, staff and admin safe.  

I hope it's 1". All the models I saw last night had this event approaching 2". 

Just now, MN Transplant said:

Just for fun, the wind accumulation product from Windy provides the peak modeled wind gust.  Let's see how they do at DCA:

NAM 3k (06z):  57mph

HRRR (13z):  60mph (!)

GFS (06z):  63mph

Euro (06z):  49mph

ICON (06z):  54mph

HRRR has 50mph gusts 8pm up my way. Yikes.

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Just for fun, the wind accumulation product from Windy provides the peak modeled wind gust.  Let's see how they do at DCA:

I will be curious to read/hear wind reports later from those of you living on the mid-upper bay...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

Flooding should be bad enough to warrant schools closing early

The point, though, is that the heaviest rain and flooding potential are indicated by all guidance to arrive after schools would have dismissed at the regular time (and bus routes would have ended).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, high risk said:

The point, though, is that the heaviest rain and flooding potential are indicated by all guidance to arrive after schools would have dismissed at the regular time (and bus routes would have ended).

We already have standing water everywhere it does that here. It's like after a big storm but before it's started.

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Hmmm... HRRR w/ 60mph gusts... interesting. Doubt we gust THAT high locally (stable-layer limiting mixing near the surface, as I know you know) but interesting nonetheless. 

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

My take as a parent:  There are a TON of late bus, after school activities, etc.  Yes, they could have just canceled those things instead of early release but maybe its easier for them to get things prepped for any bad weather when the schools are empty.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

Yeah... these school closings are getting ridiculous. As for BCPS... there is nothing new in the forecast... so why not just say you are closing 3 hours early the night before.  You are making it a headache for family's where both parents work.  The only reason why they did close schools, is because a 3 hour earlier dismissal  still counts as a full day. Parents depend on school officials too much.  You are the parent and you have the final say.  If you feel like it is too dangerous, then keep you kids home.  If you feel like it is too dangerous to walk or ride the bus... drive them yourself.  Parents all too often want someone else to make their decisions for their kids so they have someone to blame.  End rant

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I will be curious to read/hear wind reports later from those of you living on the mid-upper bay...

I have a PWS located at the edge of the Bay in Annapolis that's got pretty full exposure to southeasterly winds off the Bay:

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KMDANNAP2687

http://www.bayridgeweather.com

Also one that's slightly less exposed:

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KMDANNAP23

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Flipped back and forth between rain/snow/sleet several times this morning. Mostly rain now and 35.1/34.4. Eyeballing the CoCoRaHS 4" gauge, I'd say another 3/4 inch has fallen since 7 am when I melted 0.33". A degree or two likely would have produced 6+ inches here.... EDIT, about 3/4 inch or so of 'slush' still on ground at 10:45 am.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

I work from home most of the time so the 2.5 hour early Moco dismissal is NBD... but feeling for those elementary parents who get notice of a dismissal at 120pm.  They just let us know about 30 minutes ago!

Same for us - I generally work from home four days a week and my wife is a freelance editor, so she's home, as well. It doesn't affect us in that regard, but I can definitely understand the headaches it can cause for families without any parents at home during the day.

Ob: 43 and raining in Burke. Temps have risen slowly, but steadily all morning.

31 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Yeah... these school closings are getting ridiculous. As for BCPS... there is nothing new in the forecast... so why not just say you are closing 3 hours early the night before.  You are making it a headache for family's where both parents work.  The only reason why they did close schools, is because a 3 hour earlier dismissal  still counts as a full day. Parents depend on school officials too much.  You are the parent and you have the final say.  If you feel like it is too dangerous, then keep you kids home.  If you feel like it is too dangerous to walk or ride the bus... drive them yourself.  Parents all too often want someone else to make their decisions for their kids so they have someone to blame.  End rant

Closing early for this, except for perhaps the counties along the bay, is so dumb, but IF you are going to close, I totally agree that you have to do it the night before. Nothing changed between last night and this morning. I work from home so I am fortunate that it doesn't really impact me and I can easily get my kids from the bus, but many parents are not that fortunate and this is a huge headache for them. At least let them be able to plan ahead for said huge headache. 

I really wish I knew the clowns in charge of these decisions.

6 minutes ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Will this be the largest surge event since Isabell?

From the City of Annapolis (the high tide estimates have been revised up slightly since they released this infographic):

416710907_675117671443849_7314191108268918236_n.jpg

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic