Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7, 2024 Winter Storm Obs Thread

WxWatcher007

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is up there for me...more than I got in 1/7/96 lol Comparable to Jan 2005...only April 97, March 2018, Feb 2013 and Jan 2015 were definitely more than this.

Yup…definitely upper tier…it exceeded expectations in your area for sure. 

• Like 1

Measure stick fail - showed 6" so I figured one cleanup.  Went out at 5:30p and stepped into at least 10" to a foot.  Powdery sideways snow / steady wind funneling where I placed the snow stick gave a false low reading.  UTV plow barely handled it despite low water content, I usually do 2 cleanups for anything over 8".  Need to find a different measuring spot.  Beautiful winter vibe once again though.

image.thumb.png.468f40fb9754f7b9434772045c7ba176.png

• Like 8

9 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Trash storm. 3.3" total and <2" depth. If anyones got total FINAL numbers please send em my way, even if its MA or RI as i will be doing the SNE and CT (and tri-state) maps for this one. You can always DM me, thanks in advance

4.6" total in Southbury....final burst was nice and salvaged what was a pretty meh storm. Kids had a great time regardless...

1 hour ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

9” final total here in N Central Vermont, 3” coming overnight and 6” during daylight hours. High ratio snow. 

7.5” here in the village. Zero complaints when it looked like we might miss completely a few days ago.

A half inch topping the past two hours.  We’ll see if upslope snow showers can deliver another half inch to give us eight.

The mountain had 8” at 4pm… looks like at least another two of high ratio fluff since then up high.  The second half of this has had very little QPF.  The WAA in the beginning did have a little water with it.

Nice region-wide snower for the forum.  From the Champlain Valley in the NW to the coast in the SE.  East-west, north-south.  Everyone snowed.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

7.5” here in the village.  A half inch topping the past two hours.  We’ll see if upslope snow showers can deliver another half inch.  The mountain had 8” at 4pm… looks like at least another two of high ratio fluff since then up high.  The second half of this has had very little QPF.  The WAA in the beginning did have a little water with it.

Wow, I don’t live that far from @EMontpelierWhiteoutand I ended up with 13”. The magic happened between 6:30 and 2:00. Big over performer. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Wow, I don’t live that far from @EMontpelierWhiteoutand I ended up with 13”. The magic happened between 6:30 and 2:00. Big over performer. 

Yeah looked like an inverted trough situation across some parts… stretching from NW to SE and moving very slowly to almost stationary.  Given the snow growth and cold temps, every bit of extra QPF was amplified.  Thats a respectable event with 13”! 

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

7.5” here in the village. Zero complaints when it looked like we might miss completely a few days ago.

A half inch topping the past two hours.  We’ll see if upslope snow showers can deliver another half inch to give us eight.

The mountain had 8” at 4pm… looks like at least another two of high ratio fluff since then up high.  The second half of this has had very little QPF.  The WAA in the beginning did have a little water with it.

Nice region-wide snower for the forum.  From the Champlain Valley in the NW to the coast in the SE.  East-west, north-south.  Everyone snowed.

settled at 7.4, midway on Gregg Hill In Waterbury Center.  820'.  Good storm.  

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

8.1” here is now 8.5” with the last few hours of highly blocked snow showers. Every dendrite is standing on end on top of each other to get that 0.4 inches.  Ha.