• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

29 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

not that I recall that would be an awesome thing to see though... this looks like it's going to harken back to the tuck rule game

In telling tales of yore, the Pats won that game on an OT kick in a wicked blizzard, if I remember correctly, we had a 2–4-inch light snow event. Will would remember.

26 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

not that I recall that would be an awesome thing to see though... this looks like it's going to harken back to the tuck rule game

A bright spot in an otherwise abysmal winter (I think there was one storm in early Dec that pretty much melted on contact, too).

At least the Pats were good that year.

2 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

No.  My spot specifically just doesn't get snow.  I moved there 2 years ago, and everyone around me gets more snow.  I suppose due to the lake, or the 100foot pine trees that surround me. Either way it's not a place for snow.

Yikes. Level that forest lol. Good luck (seriously) 

Mt. Watatic in Ashby looking like a decent bet for a jack out of all of this. Ratios should be real solid there with 1200-1800' elevation. Thinking about going for a ski tour Sunday afternoon or Monday AM. Only question is plowing/road conditions. @ineedsnow, this is your hood? Any insight into plowing frequency? I have winter tires and 4WD which helps, but would want to ensure at least a pass or two of that area by Sunday PM. 

• Like 3

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Yikes. Level that forest lol. Good luck (seriously) 

Thanks. Same to you.

Been a snow lover all my life, but with the new location, and just the overall way things have gone over the past year+, I just don't care.  ...Looking ahead to multiple rainers after a few inches doesn't do it for me.  

I hope others cash in. It's been brutal so far.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

No.  My spot specifically just doesn't get snow.  I moved there 2 years ago, and everyone around me gets more snow.  I suppose due to the lake, or the 100foot pine trees that surround me. Either way it's not a place for snow.

There are so many factors but part of it is just bad brakes too.  Who knows, any year you could move into us know what your cycle for your location.  I don’t know as much about Connecticut and Rhode Island but from Massachusetts through NNE, I bet I could named 30 different towns that are supposed snow holes.  Your house is not an anomaly.

Forecast from GYX has retreated on the most recent periods - Farmington "most likely" yesterday dropped from 5" to 4, and this morning's 3" is now 2.   The range is greater than usual, with the 90%/most likely/10% being zero/2"/12".  Seems to indicate continued movement from models.

10 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

By Wednesday morning, those pine trees may no longer be an issue for you.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

In telling tales of yore, the Pats won that game on an OT kick in a wicked blizzard, if I remember correctly, we had a 2–4-inch light snow event. Will would remember.

It wasn't a big storm but it was quick, and when it snowed, it came down pretty hard, with nice C&I flakes. 26 so it wasn't slop, and not very windy. Wunderground history doesn't have vis, but it shows that the boundary layer saturated at about 1800, and IIRC that was a 6:30 or 7:00 game, so it basically snowed 3 or 4" during the game. The real highlight was Brady running for a first down on 3rd-and-6, spiking the ball, and then losing his footing and eating a face full of snow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There are so many factors but part of it is just bad brakes too.  Who knows, any year you could move into us know what your cycle for your location.  I don’t know as much about Connecticut and Rhode Island but from Massachusetts through NNE, I bet I could named 30 different towns that are supposed snow holes.  Your house is not an anomaly.

I just had my brakes (and rotors) replaced last week.

:arrrg:

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Such a localized event it seemed. I was living in Stoughton during that game, about 12-15 miles from the stadium.  The storm was small and nice.  Just a nice snowy night. When the game ended, I think the snow ended shortly after. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Such a localized event it seemed. I was living in Stoughton during that game, about 12-15 miles from the stadium.  The storm was small and nice.  Just a nice snowy night. When the game ended, I think the snow ended shortly after. 

It did, it was just that it was timed perfect for the heaviest snow to happen during the game. I just crack up when people call it a blizzard or even blinding blizzard.

For the SWCT crew, NAM's, GFS and others bring a really nice band through between 3-8pm tomorrow at 1-2" per hour rates. That'll be fun considering the past couple of winters. I am going to try the RRFS on for size to see if it delivers anything useful even though it is experimental at this point.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Mt. Watatic in Ashby looking like a decent bet for a jack out of all of this. Ratios should be real solid there with 1200-1800' elevation. Thinking about going for a ski tour Sunday afternoon or Monday AM. Only question is plowing/road conditions. @ineedsnow, this is your hood? Any insight into plowing frequency? I have winter tires and 4WD which helps, but would want to ensure at least a pass or two of that area by Sunday PM. 

That or go 10 miles North to Temple NH and Miller state park . Base 1450’ Top 2200’ (they had over 40” up top in last march storm ) I think it’s Temple / Peterborough border right on rte 101 (which is always plowed ) . Miller state park parking lot will probably get at least a once Over During the sort of am lull 

1 hour ago, butterfish55 said:
1 hour ago, ma blizzard said:
looks like its about to pound in EMA around 18z

Right around kickoff time in foxboro. Could really be a fun game to watch on TV.... Couldn't pay me to attend that game though.

Someone at work was selling tickets. No takers. lol

4 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

The Ukie appears to be the warm outlier as of now.

It’s really just at the sfc. Aloft and for the track the Ukie was pretty close to others but for one reason it LOVES to torch the lowest levels. 

• Like 1