• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Discobs 2024

George BM

Bit envious of all those who got down to single digits, but that's price I pay for living inside the Beltway. Nearest WB station to me got down to 13. (I really need to get my own someday.) Went out for a quick morning stroll, however, and my body prolly thinks any such difference is academic. 

Really is invigorating though. 

• Like 1

Roanoke radar has crashed, looks like it may be down a while...

National Weather Service Blacksburg VA
1014 AM EST Wed Jan 17 2024

...WSR-88D KFCX DOWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO MAJOR EQUIPMENT
FAILURE...

A major physical component of WSR-88D KFCX has failed and will
have to be replaced. Time to restoration is unknown as this time
and thus the radar will be down until further notice. In the
meantime, relatively good coverage of precipitation echoes across
the RNK service area can be obtained using neighboring radars or
composite radar displays. Neighboring radars include Charleston WV
(KRLX), Sterling VA, (KLWX), Wakefield VA (KAKQ), Raleigh NC
(KRAX), Greenville- Spartanburg SC (KGSP), and Morristown TN
(KMRX).

3 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Bit envious of all those who got down to single digits, but that's price I pay for living inside the Beltway. Nearest WB station to me got down to 13. (I really need to get my own someday.) Went out for a quick morning stroll, however, and my body prolly thinks any such difference is academic. 

Really is invigorating though. 

"Up to" 29 currently with a bit of melting going on. FWIW, after soliciting some guidance on this sub, I'm getting my first "big boy" wx station, an Ambient WS-2902D, within the next several weeks. Next issue will be to figure out where exactly to mount it and/or set it up...

• Like 2

Pretty neat microclimate in my part of Frederick. Low was only 17° this morning but the neighborhood across the way of Monocacy in a “bowl” got down to 12°. More decoupling occurring naturally at lower elevation. 

Fast forward to now and that same station is 3° warmer than my place (26 vs 23) so the elevation is again playing a role. It helps with snow as well being at over 310ft while places around me are 60-80 ft lower. Pretty cool 

• Like 1

This is the coldest segment of our year, January 14th to 19th  with 44/30 at DCA .  We did not set a record by a lot but did get close to -20 departures which is rare.  The years that did set records between 14th to 19th did continue on as snowy and/or cold winters.

Low of 11 and as we get near 1pm I’m 24 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Pretty neat microclimate in my part of Frederick. Low was only 17° this morning but the neighborhood across the way of Monocacy in a “bowl” got down to 12°. More decoupling occurring naturally at lower elevation. 

Fast forward to now and that same station is 3° warmer than my place (26 vs 23) so the elevation is again playing a role. It helps with snow as well being at over 310ft while places around me are 60-80 ft lower. Pretty cool 

Two miles  ese  of Frederick that house hit 11. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic