• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

Just a few random stabbings of my ruler into the back deck, yielded measurements in the 2.75 to 3.25 range. Not exactly the gold standard of snow measurements. I doubt it would pass muster in peer review -- if we've reached the point where snow measurements by weenies and "weather hobbyists" have to be subject to the kind of scientific rigor used by the Manhattan Project to make sure the Gadget at Alamogordo didn't set the atmosphere on fire  -- but my philosophy has always been is to shade (?!#4a) toward the higher measures based on an admixture of snow psychosis, snow goggle-eyes, and snow elitism that is a function of location and, secondarily, elevation. None of these three -- let's call them "pillars" of biases that may affect snow measurements -- can be quantified, but all of which should be considered in any kind of qualitative study (whether peer-reviewed or not) of the psychology of individuals making reports of snow accumulations. Said study would be multi-dimensional, bringing together the disparate fields of psychology and meteorology, and probably a few dozen others, depending on author's ambition and vision. 

Maybe.

Is this a topic screaming for some ambitious student's grad or PhD. thesis treatment? Or is it doomed to the intellectual ghetto of X- (nee-Twitter) thread-unroll posting?   

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2024 at 7:10 AM, dailylurker said:

I'm more obsessed with the power of nature. I've always loved storm. I was 3 months old during the blizzard of 78. My mom told me that I cried if I couldn't see out of the window. She moved me to the window and I laid there starring out the window at the blizzard all day. During thunderstorms she'd come in the room and I'd be standing in my crib in the middle of the night looking at the window. When I was 6 I got busted outside at 2 am looking at the snow falling lol. 

What we have here, Is a true winnah.

8 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Great spot to watch thunderstorms approaching also.  I spent many late summer afternoons at Ft Reno Park looking westward.

Oh yeah. In the 20+ years I've lived here, I must have seen dozens of storms come in. Popped up there right before the Derecho and will never forget the light show, not to mention the sprint down the hill and back to my car to get home before it hit. Spent a couple hours up there during Isabel, bracing myself against the wind and getting drenched. Back in my running days, I'd cross train by sprinting up the hill. And when my pups were alive, on a summer night, I'd sometimes go up there with them and hang out, and watch the planes approach into National and listen to the summer sounds. Doggies loved it too. And of course, put in serious time all around the park during the early to mid 2010s legendary snowstorms, not only walking around during the storms, but going sledding with my daughter. Got lucky that when she was growing up, we had our share of events: 2009-10, the winters of 2014 and 2015, the blizzard of 2016, the Valentine Day's sleet storm of 2007 (when we almost slid into Fessenden, we were going so fast). We'd watch fireworks from up there, I'd get a good book on a hot summer day and go up there and read while baking in the DC furnace. The summer concerts were fun, I occasional watch a bit of the Jackson-Lee team on the baseball field if I'm walking that way. That park is just wonderful, regardless of the season.

(Moved this to banter from the obs thread, since my response was too long, but I wanted to post it. Prolly a better way of doing it.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dailylurker said:

Poor Mappy. Being sick during an event like like being stuck on the toilet Christmas morning lol. I hope you feel better.

man, I have covid. So, it's even worse as I am stuck in a damn room. Got up, made coffee, measured, back to the bedroom. At least the kiddo gets a snow day. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

45 minutes ago, mappy said:

man, I have covid. So, it's even worse as I am stuck in a damn room. Got up, made coffee, measured, back to the bedroom. At least the kiddo gets a snow day. 

Feel well soon. My wife had it 3 days after Christmas. About 10 days testing positive. Somehow the kids and myself avoided it. Oddly, my kids and myself had it 2 summers ago and the wife never caught it. I can only assume the kids and I had built up some resistance. So with that said, drink plenty of liquids. This will only make ya more strong!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Bummer. Hope you get better soon! 

11 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Feel well soon. My wife had it 3 days after Christmas. About 10 days testing positive. Somehow the kids and myself avoided it. Oddly, my kids and myself had it 2 summers ago and the wife never caught it. I can only assume the kids and I had built up some resistance. So with that said, drink plenty of liquids. This will only make ya more strong!

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I just got over Covid a couple of weeks ago. Hope you feel better soon. 

Thanks all. Its fairly mild, just assumed it was a head cold until Mr. Map suggested I take a test. Good to know, just an annoyance. But could be worse, so I am trying not to complain about it too much. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mrs.J said:

This just happened at my husband's office. After this time last year saying you can choose your path of working. Told them that "we work better when we are together" without giving any stats, which ticked my husband off. He mainly works with people in the Austin, TX and Montreal office so literally goes in now to sit behind his computer and have meetings that he could be doing at home. He is required now to be in 3 days a week and two of them are Tuesday's and Wednesday's as those are "meeting" days. He is not going in today he decided. Said if they have a beef he can tell them he will just take a PTO day and not work at all. He is logged in now a half hour earlier than if he would have went in. Also he has a MX5 so that was not getting put on the roads today. 

This kind of stuff is infuriating. I know of too many people in the same situation and there's never a truly legitimate reason given for wanting people in the office. A lot has to do with these companies that invested in commercial real estate and their fear that their investments will go south if people continue to work remotely, but they'd rather just say "We work better when we're all in close quarters with one another" or some nonsense.

I'm moving to a new project this month - this one is fully remote without any physical office to report to. I'm moving from another government organization that used to require us to be in the office five days a week prior to COVID, but now we're hybrid with loosely required two days of in-office per week (and that has been ticking up a little in the last six months). Really looking forward to knowing I'll never be asked to be in the office for some random meeting or something, and that I can pick and choose days to go work from my company office. Since my wife is a freelance editor, she's also at home and often just needs me out of her hair during the day. :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

This just happened at my husband's office. After this time last year saying you can choose your path of working. Told them that "we work better when we are together" without giving any stats, which ticked my husband off. He mainly works with people in the Austin, TX and Montreal office so literally goes in now to sit behind his computer and have meetings that he could be doing at home. He is required now to be in 3 days a week and two of them are Tuesday's and Wednesday's as those are "meeting" days. He is not going in today he decided. Said if they have a beef he can tell them he will just take a PTO day and not work at all. He is logged in now a half hour earlier than if he would have went in. Also he has a MX5 so that was not getting put on the roads today. 

15 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

It's very frustrating. I get that some jobs are such that you are more productive in an office setting, but most office jobs are not that way. For me, personally, I am for more productive at home than I was in the office. I don't have people constantly stopping by to talk about nothing, we don't schedule meetings unless they are actually needed, and I'm just far happier overall which makes me more productive.

16 minutes ago, mattie g said:

This kind of stuff is infuriating. I know of too many people in the same situation and there's never a truly legitimate reason given for wanting people in the office. A lot has to do with these companies that invested in commercial real estate and their fear that their investments will go south if people continue to work remotely, but they'd rather just say "We work better when we're all in close quarters with one another" or some nonsense.

I'm moving to a new project this month - this one is fully remote without any physical office to report to. I'm moving from another government organization that used to require us to be in the office five days a week prior to COVID, but now we're hybrid with loosely required two days of in-office per week (and that has been ticking up a little in the last six months). Really looking forward to knowing I'll never be asked to be in the office for some random meeting or something, and that I can pick and choose days to go work from my company office. Since my wife is a freelance editor, she's also at home and often just needs me out of her hair during the day. :lol:

We are required to be "in the office" two days per pay period now, essentially one day per week (what most do). The days I go into work, I am almost always the only person in my building, or perhaps one of out 2-3 others in the building...which, pre-COVID, used to house 40-50 staffers and three classrooms of up to 30 students. It's utterly ridiculous. Mine is a gov't training organization, and we made Herculean strides to convert probably 90-95% of the training to online over the past three years. In-person training is no longer a necessity, at least not for most courses/topics.

Our HR folks conducted surveys over the past two years, with the wide majority of employees (probably over 70%) preferring to stick to fully remote work. Our org president's decided otherwise, and his justification when we started this current routine about a year ago was that it promotes "teamwork and camaraderie." I can assure you neither of those things are happening with only one or two others in my building on the days I report to campus (folks with whom I do not even work on my team)...and I hear confirmation of the same from others who report on the other days of the week. Again...utterly ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@stormtracker PBP indicators/translations:

Jaws music:  HECS incoming.

"FOLKS!!":  6-12" or so event.

"Guys!":  mid-level event up to about 6" or so.

"Ass hair":  Not much change in the 500mb heights or other atmospheric parameters from previous runs.  A very technical, scientific (if somewhat disgusting!) term!

"Fuck central NJ!!":  Fuggeddaboutit, we get nothing on this run.  Next!

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

@stormtracker PBP indicators/translations:

Jaws music:  HECS incoming.

"FOLKS!!":  6-12" or so event.

"Guys!":  mid-level event up to about 6" or so.

"Ass hair":  Not much change in the 500mb heights or other atmospheric parameters from previous runs.  A very technical, scientific (if somewhat disgusting!) term!

"Fuck central NJ!!":  Fuggeddaboutit, we get nothing on this run.  Next!

:lol:

I feel seen

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

my in office schedule is going from 2 to 3 days in Feb. and it's annoying.

thankfully, it's very flexible... you can be in the office a half day and that pretty much counts as a day, no one is formally keeping track, etc. etc. But all my meetings are on Teams and 95% of my work could be done from home. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic