• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

Nws

Therefore, gusts up to 45 to 50 mph are expected and with
saturated grounds, trees may be more easily downed by these wind
gusts. This is why the wind advisory was issued.

There may be somewhat of a lull in the winds this morning before
more gusty winds develop this afternoon. The peak gusts are
expected mid to late this afternoon.

1 hour ago, snywx said:

Looks like we maintained a good amount of snowpack as well. Temp never got above 44°. Just to my SW its in the mid 50s. The kids do have a 2 hr delay tho 

The places that had snowpack probably maintained an inversion so the winds didn’t mix down there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

That line developed just to your southwest, even parts of rockland only had 15-20 mph gusts but the southeastern section looks like 40s in poorly placed weather stations. 

harriman state park got crushed, water rescues at anthony wayne.

finished with 3.2” here looks like. 

Reading this and other reports is just amazing as here in New City I went outside a few times and although it was raining ridiculously hard the wind did not seem to not be an issue here at all and you are very close to me 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Reading this and other reports is just amazing as here in New City I went outside a few times and although it was raining ridiculously hard the wind did not seem to not be an issue here at all and you are very close to me 

I believe new city fh or the town garage registered 23 mph and 2 miles southeast hit 46 lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Some flooding in Long Beach in the vulnerable spots but it’s probably good news that the worst of the winds last night were during low tide. Out east may be worse since the SW winds generate a fetch that builds toward the east end. 

Yeah I have family on the water in west islip and the canals are spilling over 

8 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I believe new city fh or the town garage registered 23 mph and 2 miles southeast hit 46 lol

I had friends asking me last night "how is it by you" and I was telling them besides that it was absolutely pouring and I kept checking my basement and garage for water the wind as I said was not bad,,,,I was outside a few times checking the perimeter  of my house,,,,,,wild how it varied so close to home

8 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

6 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I'm in Bardonia just off 304 and the wind here wasn't crazy. The power flickered around 10:30 but that was it. I feel the wind was stronger in the December storm. The rain performed as forecasted. My hometown of Pompton Plains is completely flooded this morning.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm in Bardonia just off 304 and the wind here wasn't crazy. The power flickered around 10:30 but that was it. I feel the wind was stronger in the December storm. The rain performed as forecasted. My hometown of Pompton Plains is completely flooded this morning.

Yes the winds in that storm were definitely worse,,,,,my lights never flickered last night not once you know how that goes when we see them flickering there's a good chance its going out

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I just drove west from tappan to montvale, the difference in a couple miles is kind of staggering. Tappan still had flooding issues, debris everywhere, flooded houses in sparkill and tappan. Montvale there arent branches down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I just drove west from tappan to montvale, the difference in a couple miles is kind of staggering. Tappan still had flooding issues, debris everywhere, flooded houses in sparkill and tappan. Montvale there arent branches down.

Just read that Clarkstown recorded 4.7 inches of rain,,,,yep it was absolutely pouring

3 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I think the wind had an easier time in areas closest to the river. So that explains why Nyack, Tappan had more damage than areas even a few miles further West.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mikeysed said:

Does Sussex county have any snowpack left or did it melt the 10 to 13 inches?

I have patches and piles left, but I'm only at 800 feet and started from about 8".  I'm guessing higher up the mountain still has a few inch snowpack, especially out toward the ridges of Stokes and High Point.  I might take a ride up Sparta Mountain later on if I have time.

as for the rivers in New Jersey perhaps it’s time to start thinking like they did on Staten Island after Sandy.

Maybe it’s time to move people away from those rivers.

Obviously, we’re in a new climate regime now with this kind of thing is going to be happening frequently and it’s not right to keep people in harms way. Especially when harm seems to come every few weeks now.

Pressure peaked at 1030.8mb overnight yesterday and bottomed out at 981.4mb overnight today. Nearly a 50mb difference.

3.55 event total, rainfall rates peaked at just under 5” per hour in the squall line, in the dead of winter. Our climate is really living up to my username this decade.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Pressure peaked at 1030.8mb overnight yesterday and bottomed out at 981.4mb overnight today. Nearly a 50mb difference.

3.55 event total, rainfall rates peaked at just under 5” per hour in the squall line, in the dead of winter. Our climate is really living up to my username this decade.

I peaked at 1030.6mb and bottomed out at 980.6mb, making for exactly a 50mb difference.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

According to the NWS gust reports, there were winds, but perhaps some gusts in most parts, unless of course you were very close to the coast, as usual.  Sustained winds have picked up this morning though.  Winds rarely follow the forecast, as its hard to mix down to surface level.  

2.23” of rain here.  NAM busted hard on the winds here however ( I am in an inland valley location).  Max was about 25 mph and the model called for the same strength wind gusts that were called for and largely attained on LI.  HRRR did better with the stronger wind gusts being along the coast.

• Rjay unpinned this topic