• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A decent storm will develop through the northeast USA Sunday Dec 10, 2023, rapidly deepening Monday morning in its departure. Worst expected 5P Sunday-5A Monday.

wdrag

1 minute ago, Intensewind002 said:

On another note radar estimate has me at only 2.44” and Farmingdale 2.68 when both locations are a decent bit above that. I was just thinking before that this rain seems heavier than what the reflectivity is showing, too.

4.42” to your north. Most areas western Suffolk are 3.50 to 4.50” by now in the jackpot zone. 

• Like 3

Wind was non event here.  Barely a light breeze at times over the last 24 hours.

Rainfall just glancing at the gauge (will take measurement at 8am) looks like 2 to 2.5".

Temperature down to 32 even with light to some moderate snow.  Grass and deck coated already with at least 90 min worth of light to some moderate snowfall to come.  COULD see 1" on coldest surfaces?

• Like 1

It seems wind events are difficult to forecast. This wind event, similar to others, was hyped with watches and advisories that never materialized. Then you have the one from a few weeks ago that had advisory and warning criteria and nothing was issued. I don't recall even seeing wind reports the following day from that event. It is almost like we cannot admit when we make a mistake.

As far as snow goes, an over performer in the DC and Baltimore areas. Many places getting about an inch. Would be nice to see it happen here.

Airports (IAD and BWI) got roughly half an inch here - a little less. Northern MD in Carroll county and points west got 2-4” of snow.

3” of snow in my backyard in union bridge MD after 2” of rain

• Like 2

Wind picked up at night. In general, if this was a snowstorm, I would have been disappointed by result. Underperformed all around. Rain snow line racing east->for mood flakes.

Backside snow never works out in NYC. DC and BWI are better positioned for this (when it rarely works) as they are further inland off coast. In NYC this is Fools Gold

• Like 2

Two CoCoRaHs sampler rainfall maps and one snowfall for the NYC subforum.  Please click for clarity. The only element that didn't pan out was the wind...  also. note that there are power outages affecting areas with seemingly combined 4+" snowfall and decent wind gusts shaking the wet snow off the branches (and probably breaking them). It looks to me like everything ab over 1000 feet picked up an inch or more of snow with the break point on Trace snow mush covering deck, maybe somewhere between 500 and 800 feet MSL.  

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.13.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.16.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.19.27 AM.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Wind picked up at night. In general, if this was a snowstorm, I would have been disappointed by result. Underperformed all around. Rain snow line racing east->for mood flakes.

Backside snow never works out in NYC. DC and BWI are better positioned for this (when it rarely works) as they are further inland off coast. In NYC this is Fools Gold

Alot of areas in the Mid Atlantic switched over to snow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lee59 said:

It seems wind events are difficult to forecast. This wind event, similar to others, was hyped with watches and advisories that never materialized. Then you have the one from a few weeks ago that had advisory and warning criteria and nothing was issued. I don't recall even seeing wind reports the following day from that event. It is almost like we cannot admit when we make a mistake.

The last higher end event that actually reached expectations/forecasts was the storm associated with the Christmas cold snap last year. I do feel 75% of the time the wind is weaker than predicted and then every once in a while we get something like the event a couple weeks back. Looking at model runs yesterday and they were way off as well, besides the HRRR (40 mph), every model had my area getting gusts in the 50-60 mph range. I believe the HRRR had the axis of heavy rainfall over the right area as well.

I don't have # but the winds here in New City were definitely gusting higher than 15 mph ( much higher ) as Santa and his reindeer are currently having some serious issues on my roof but I won't be climbing up there to fix them until these winds die down all together,,,,,,anyone have a guesstimate as to what time these winds will stop as me and the elves need to get topside and get things secured on my roof :D