• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A decent storm will develop through the northeast USA Sunday Dec 10, 2023, rapidly deepening Monday morning in its departure. Worst expected 5P Sunday-5A Monday.

wdrag

6 hours ago, wdrag said:

Two CoCoRaHs sampler rainfall maps and one snowfall for the NYC subforum.  Please click for clarity. The only element that didn't pan out was the wind...  also. note that there are power outages affecting areas with seemingly combined 4+" snowfall and decent wind gusts shaking the wet snow off the branches (and probably breaking them). It looks to me like everything ab over 1000 feet picked up an inch or more of snow with the break point on Trace snow mush covering deck, maybe somewhere between 500 and 800 feet MSL.  

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.13.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.16.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.19.27 AM.png

That 3.9” in Orange County is on geeenville mtn. Elevation there is about 1300’

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

underachieved in manhattan from the rain and wind..

Agreed.  Same here in Union County NJ.  Most of NJ "spared" as a rational forecaster might have expected.  Winds near and around the ocean is almost always another story.  Windspeeds, at least for a storm, are almost always "over blown" for NYC and western suburbs.  Mixing usually inhibited by friction.  Over the immediate coastal areas, the winds could be realized.  Just another rain event.  Heavy lines were east of most of NJ.

50 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Agreed.  Same here in Union County NJ.  Most of NJ "spared" as a rational forecaster might have expected.  Winds near and around the ocean is almost always another story.  Windspeeds, at least for a storm, are almost always "over blown" for NYC and western suburbs.  Mixing usually inhibited by friction.  Over the immediate coastal areas, the winds could be realized.  Just another rain event.  Heavy lines were east of most of NJ.

We need a strong coastal storm like Dec 92 where we had legit 60 mph winds away from the coast

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

We need a strong coastal storm like Dec 92 where we had legit 60 mph winds away from the coast

Thanks anyway. Taking a shower with no hot water or electricity after a July T storm is one thing.  Doing the same for three days with cold water when the house is around 50 is another story.  Still haven’t gotten the chill out of me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Thanks anyway. Taking a shower with no hot water or electricity after a July T storm is one thing.  Doing the same for three days with cold water when the house is around 50 is another story.  Still haven’t gotten the chill out of me.

Yeah I dont want that. Just saying that's what it would take for those kind of winds inland

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Very true, on day 7 or 8 out of 12 after sandy I abandoned my house and went and stayed with my grandma in queens. The air temp in the house had dropped to like 50 degrees and it was only going down. That’s when the buzz from the storm wore off and it just sucked.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, snywx said:

That 3.9” in Orange County is on geeenville mtn. Elevation there is about 1300’

Finding out ore as we go.  2.5" 900' in Stillwater NJ, High Point was 5" at 1500.  eastern Sussex County high terrain did not do as well as the western part of our Sussex County.  Probably related to FGEN position as checked through the HREF.

6 hours ago, nycwinter said:

underachieved in manhattan from the rain and wind..

Maybe so... for now, jury out on specific rain impact on Bronx building collapse all over NY media this evening. Very good lead time by NWS on flood watches...  I know it wasn't major river impact but nevertheless... a sizable rainfall event. 

2.46" rainfall here. 

Snowfall .30".  Everything was plastered and caked in a wet snow.  Only concrete and blacktop remained wet.

To Walt's point elevation played big role.  Drove down off the top of the ridge I live on (1060') and once to Rt. 80 exit 30, just a mile away very little snow and mainly wet.  Bit of elevation near Rockaway on 80 and ground was whitened go down 100' or so and all gone.

4 hours ago, STORMANLI said:

As of 3pm, Jericho Turnpike between Daly and Elwood Roads still closed as they are pumping the flooded section.  Never saw it flood this bad before. Drains clogged with leaves and around 4 inches of rain.

Recorded 5.01 " here.

A Levi's Jeans Storm 

Was just in that area. It’s still partly closed in the right lanes.