Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2023

George BM

7 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

wild west in the DMV these days.  Apparently the dude was shooting off flares this afternoon, and the cops came by.  Then they came back this evening with a search warrant, and he started firing at them with the flare gun

Oh wow, I was on 66 west driving to Tysons around 5p and saw a flare shot into the sky and wondered what it was. Crazy. 

8 hours ago, mdhokie said:

Ravens had the best bye weekend ever. PIT, CLE, KC, JAX all lose. Five tough games coming up. I'd be happy with 3-2. 

4-1 please. That MIGHT be enough to get the overall #1 seed, especially if the one loss is to say the 49ers. Wins over Miami and Jax gives the Ravens the tiebreaker there, and 4-1 obviously wins the division. Would just look for KC to drop a game at that point to seal the deal at #1. 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Always fun to realize how much weird information makes it to people who are not weather zealots - the person outside my office at work is the perfect individual for that...today's version -

Her:  "I heard it's gonna snow, is it gonna snow Aaron?"

Me: "No."

Just another reason why in-office work sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Not if it melts away in 3 days.

I couldn't care less if it melts in 3 days. After a couple days it starts getting pretty gross anyways. 

I'm not big into wall to wall snow cover though. I like to see it fall and pile up. Go sledding with my Kiddos. If I can do that I'm good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m taking this winter like I did as a kid. Ignorant. I’m going to enjoy the moment and when something pops up in the near term, I’ll invest. I don’t want to model watch beyond 5 days. I’m too old to look beyond this week.

I also think it’s going to snow, so there is that.

Welcome to the less stressful side of winter tracking! It’s so much nicer when you don’t care beyond a few days lol

• Like 7

1 hour ago, aldie 22 said:

So I can understand a snowstorm in 66 at 32 degrees would be a rainstorm at 32 degrees today?

The theory is that with a warmer globe some storms on the margin back then may not work as well now. But that's if you believe in warming, lol I think the resistance to the idea of our snow climo not being what it was is twofold: 

1) The fear of it being true (of course most of us wouldn't WANT it to be true, and are hoping it isn't)

2) The general polarization of the AGW debate

My question stands... a 32 degree storm in 66 is snow but a 32 degree storm today is rain? Because as phrased in the long range thread that's how it sounds. I suppose what you're trying to say is that same storm track wouldn't be able to produce those temps today? On the surface that's a pretty silly argument because in simplest terms that storm was 32 and this storm would be 32 any other temp today is your speculation and opinion and to be clear I'm one who believes in the acceleration of CC. You guys are just yelling fire in a crowded theater. 

Above statement is the opinion of myself and Leesburg 04 only and does not in any way reflect the opinion of anyone associated with them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m taking this winter like I did as a kid. Ignorant. I’m going to enjoy the moment and when something pops up in the near term, I’ll invest. I don’t want to model watch beyond 5 days. I’m too old to look beyond this week.

Sometimes you just know. We are left with way less surprises anymore anyways. And this is coming from a person who does not like surprises. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I've gotten to the point I will only get hype when WSWs get hoisted for MBY.  The hemming and hauling over patterns that can kick, fantasy storms, Pac puke, mom's spaghetti have gotten beyond old.  As old as I am.  This place can be so draining with the constant eeyore'ing.  

So when it snows is when I will enjoy things and just be happy to see it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aldie 22 said:

My question stands... a 32 degree storm in 66 is snow but a 32 degree storm today is rain? Because as phrased in the long range thread that's how it sounds. I suppose what you're trying to say is that same storm track wouldn't be able to produce those temps today? On the surface that's a pretty silly argument because in simplest terms that storm was 32 and this storm would be 32 any other temp today is your speculation and opinion and to be clear I'm one who believes in the acceleration of CC. You guys are just yelling fire in a crowded theater. 

Above statement is the opinion of myself and Leesburg 04 only and does not in any way reflect the opinion of anyone associated with them.

Can I retroactively dump an ex from 1993. she hated snow and only like the yellow starbursts 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, aldie 22 said:

I haven’t been part of that conversation but my .02.

It seems clear to me that if precipitation in a storm of yore fell at 32.0° and precipitation in a storm today fell at 32.0° both (assuming the column above isn’t torched) would be snow. 

But obviously that’s not really the question. If it’s snowing at 32 it’s a marginal track to begin with. It’s unequivocally warmer, and high latitude warming probably has an effect on the overall setup, i.e. the amount of blocking, cold source aloft and at the surface, making it more likely than not that a similar surface low track produces a different outcome for a variety of reasons. Not always of course, but we probably see more marginal misses today than we did in the past which had marginal misses as well of course.

I am in no way saying that it’ll never snow again in a marginal situation, but it’s an interesting question to ask. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

What's with you guys and the light-ish hoppy beers?

Rasputin Imperial Stout....don't need the fridge.

The most hopped up beer I like (if you would consider it as such) is St Bernardus Wit or Hacker Pschorr same style. It's not that I wont drink em, just prefer the less hoppy styles, lean towards stouts and porters.  I wouldn't kick an IPA out of bed if someone offered me one, just not my go-to.

Alpine Cams at Palisades Tahoe are getting utterly obliterated by heavy snow!
https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams#tab=alpine
They have already piled up 3 inches and more is on the way!

If I can’t play basketball in it, then it’s a quality snow event. I expect snow covered courts…anything else and I’m gonna be out there working on the Curry two-ball drill. True story.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic