Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2023

George BM

Just now, psuhoffman said:

All that may be true, I have not watched a single play, but what you just said there is exactly why I don't watch.  They won every game, so I don't care about any of that.  The results on the field should be all that matters.  If things like "what the fans want to see, what the better game would be, who is hypothetically the better team" are more important that the actual results of games...then I choose not to care about that sport.  

I'm a little biased since I went to FSU for graduate school (witnessed the first infamous "wide right" game against Miami...ugh!!).  But I'm not a homer about it and like you, I haven't paid as much attention to college football much over the years, unless a team I "like" is in a game.  I also like Michigan, so hoping they will win it all now this year!  (I say that as one who grew up in Ohio!).

Anyhow, yeah, FSU had a rough game vs. Louisville, and they're "not the same" in many ways, perhaps, after losing their star QB Travis.  And yet they still as a team managed win and close out undefeated.  Plus, their defense has been amazing.  They had to use their 3rd string QB in that game, since their backup behind Travis was also out on concussion protocol.  He'd definitely be back by the time any bowl games occur, and he did a pretty good job overall in his start vs. UF.  While FSU hypothetically may well have lost right away if they made the playoffs, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be a total blowout given their defense and the fact that they'd at least have improved offense with their backup QB back in there.  So I don't think it would be a "UGA-TCU" slaughter-fest.

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know of injuries they had to 2 starters...Deebo and Trent right?  I don't know of any others.  Honestly... losing those 2 players is justification for losing 3 games to mediocre teams???  I mean... the Eagles haven't had all 22 of our starters all season.  Most games we are missing 3 or 4 starters.  Last week the Eagles were without their best tackle and TE.  Yesterday they were without the starting FS, slot corner, coverage LB, and TE.  2 of them will be back soon, the other 2 are out for the season.  But not once anywhere would anyone bring that up as the reason for our loss.  It's football, you are rarely going to have all 22 healthy any given week.  

I honestly can't figure out SF.  Maybe my perception of them is skewed because the only 3 games until yesterday that I actually watched their entire game was the 3 they lost...and I kinda threw them in the "they are not a threat" pile in my head after seeing them look like ass 3 weeks in a row.  And yes I heard "the injuries" but again my thought was if losing 2 players affects you that much...that is indicative of something wrong.  Obviously I was wrong...they played at a level I was not expecting yesterday.  The eagles didn't make a ton of mistakes they just got dominated.  That was frustrating.  But unless there were more injuries that I am aware of I don't fully buy that as an excuse.  

I think it was 3 injuries but I generally agree. Hell the Ravens are always down multiple starters- at one point they had 7 out. They are one of the best at building a deep roster though, so that's also a factor in overcoming injuries. Another consideration is the type of QB they have really requires their key playmakers to be effective. He is smart and has the intangibles but is mediocre athletically.

• Like 1

I'm a little biased since I went to FSU for graduate school (witnessed the first infamous "wide right" game against Miami...ugh!!).  But I'm not a homer about it and like you, I haven't paid as much attention to college football much over the years, unless a team I "like" is in a game.  I also like Michigan, so hoping they will win it all now this year!  (I say that as one who grew up in Ohio!).
Anyhow, yeah, FSU had a rough game vs. Louisville, and they're "not the same" in many ways, perhaps, after losing their star QB Travis.  And yet they still as a team managed win and close out undefeated.  Plus, their defense has been amazing.  They had to use their 3rd string QB in that game, since their backup behind Travis was also out on concussion protocol.  He'd definitely be back by the time any bowl games occur, and he did a pretty good job overall in his start vs. UF.  While FSU hypothetically may well have lost right away if they made the playoffs, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be a total blowout given their defense and the fact that they'd at least have improved offense with their backup QB back in there.  So I don't think it would be a "UGA-TCU" slaughter-fest.

I’m not even sure how anyone can even defend the decision. If a team goes undefeated and still can’t win a title, then what’s the point of even playing lol.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I think it was 3 injuries but I generally agree. Hell the Ravens are always down multiple starters- at one point they had 7 out. They are one of the best at building a deep roster though, so that's also a factor in overcoming injuries. Another consideration is the type of QB they have really requires their key playmakers to be effective. He is smart and has the intangibles but is mediocre athletically.

Agree about Brock.  Early yesterday the Eagles were getting pressure and he was incapable of making plays.  But then SF adjusted, starting giving help on Reddick, rolling the protections to his side, and suddenly SF could move the ball at will when he had 3 seconds to scan the field and make his reads unbothered by the rush.  From what I saw in those 3 losses the biggest factor was when he is under pressure he becomes a very flawed player.  The issue then is, how to get pressure.  Yesterday SF managed to scheme the Eagles pass rush out of the game after the first two possessions.  

• Like 1

@CAPE Just a thought for a rematch...if they are going to roll protection to Reddick, drop him into the LB zone and blitz the LB off the other side.  Yes, that is not ideal normally since Reddick is much more affective as a pass rushing LB than in coverage, and you are taking your coverage LB and pass rushing...but frankly the Eagles don't have a great pass coverage option at LB and if they are going to double team Reddick whoever they have at Will LB won't be able to hold up long trying to cover the TE/RB/Slot WR anyways... so might as well blitz him.  

3 hours ago, mappy said:

catching up after 4 days away and I can't tell whether winter is over or just begun lol

We are in November 2 (formerly called December), which is my second least favorite of the six months of November, behind November 6 (formerly called April). 

My ranking of the list of the new 6 Novembers -

1. November 1 (Actual November)

2. November 4 (formerly called February)

3. November 3 (formerly called January)

4. November 5 (formerly called March)

5. November 2 (formerly called December)

6. November 6 (formerly called April)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@CAPE Just a thought for a rematch...if they are going to roll protection to Reddick, drop him into the LB zone and blitz the LB off the other side.  Yes, that is not ideal normally since Reddick is much more affective as a pass rushing LB than in coverage, and you are taking your coverage LB and pass rushing...but frankly the Eagles don't have a great pass coverage option at LB and if they are going to double team Reddick whoever they have at Will LB won't be able to hold up long trying to cover the TE/RB/Slot WR anyways... so might as well blitz him.  

The Ravens will be watching that tape. One thing they do well is find multiple ways to pressure the QB, and it comes from everywhere. Shanahan coached teams are great at making in game adjustments. It was impressive how quickly that game turned after the first quarter. I was literally thinking at the time this might be the first game Philly wins comfortably lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The Ravens will be watching that tape. One thing they do well is find multiple ways to pressure the QB, and it comes from everywhere. Shanahan coached teams are great at making in game adjustments. It was impressive how quickly that game turned after the first quarter. I was literally thinking at the time this might be the first game Philly wins comfortably lol.

The Eagles schemes, both on offense and defense, seem very simple.  They have relied on simply being more talented for the last 2 years.  On offense they run very simple route schemes and rely on their receivers simply winning their 1 on 1 matchups.  On defense they tend to just rush 4 and rely on them getting home.   Only twice in the last 2 seasons did they run into a situation where that wasn't going to work, and in both cases KC in the SB and SF this year...their defense got boat raced when they were completely unable to adapt at all and create a scheme advantage when simply winning on talent was not an option.  

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

I’m not even sure how anyone can even defend the decision. If a team goes undefeated and still can’t win a title, then what’s the point of even playing lol.

I don’t think anyone can say it better than this. It is clearly a decision driven by ratings, revenues, and expectations. FSU should have been there and Bama out. But they don’t dare leave out the SEC champion.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t think anyone can say it better than this. It is clearly a decision driven by ratings, revenues, and expectations. FSU should have been there and Bama out. But they don’t dare leave out the SEC champion.

Just a counterpoint but FSU did lose its Starting QB. Not to defend the albatross of CFB Playoff system. But you have to think that factored into this a lil bit.

11 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Just a short drive to...(checks notes)...Munich, Germany if you want to bask in glorious snow...

https://www.twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1731734901718700066?s=20

Been getting a lot of reports from my wife's family about the weather in the Taunus Mountains near Frankfurt. 100% jealous...

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

Been getting a lot of reports from my wife's family about the weather in the Taunus Mountains near Frankfurt. 100% jealous...

Yeah they have been getting vollig ausgeloscht by this storm!

(That's totally obliterated, for all of you non Germanic types lol)

totally obliterated

8 hours ago, CAPE said:

Too bad the Commanders can't find a coach like Shannahan or a beast of a Left Tackle like Trent Williams. Oh wait.....

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Jeez. Missed this by about an hour at work in Ballston.

https://x.com/connormaj/status/1731853442056929425?s=46&t=YRAxGyE8QLsoshMtJniktg

Absolutely wild.  I read online that the suspect was lighting off flares in the house as police were getting close - and some reports said it was a meth lab.

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Absolutely wild.  I read online that the suspect was lighting off flares in the house as police were getting close - and some reports said it was a meth lab.

wild west in the DMV these days.  Apparently the dude was shooting off flares this afternoon, and the cops came by.  Then they came back this evening with a search warrant, and he started firing at them with the flare gun

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic