Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2023/24 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Looking like areas east of Chicago, and west of Albany ny, Zzzzz. Typical corridor of mediocrity.

Not sure what you looked at.... but this completely disagrees.

3 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

image.thumb.png.2828c51d0146c5ef6de993cafd875a9a.png

24 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Not sure what you looked at.... but this completely disagrees.

I think that next storm, if it's as strong as depicted now, will go nw, just like next week's. We need a gulf low or something come out of south Texas. These lows that come outta the rockies/4 corners/panhandle go negative tilt too early for metro detroit to get in on the goods.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andyhb said:

image.thumb.png.1f9b564c12f30799af5c152bf32bec20.png

The 500 mb trough with that is... a spectacle, let's just say that.

image.thumb.png.b7d2e77f8b77b8746bc060a050f53779.png

As much as I’ve grown fond of warm, mild weather from years in the South, it’s been 5 years since I’ve seen a snowstorm of any kind. This would be cool to watch

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

I think that next storm, if it's as strong as depicted now, will go nw, just like next week's. We need a gulf low or something come out of south Texas. These lows that come outta the rockies/4 corners/panhandle go negative tilt too early for metro detroit to get in on the goods.

I agree, not sure about west Michigan but the Detroit-Toronto-Niagara corridor will be hard pressed to get a big snowstorm. Toronto might sneak in a 1-4” Lake enhanced snow tomorrow night. 

Not saying it can’t happen but let’s cool the jets a bit on widespread 1-2 feet coming the next 10-14 days lol. 

• Like 1

Fox Chicago’s Mike Caplan mentioned in a livestream today that a special mission was conducted to retrieve data from the storm before it makes landfall. Also, that data is supposed to begin appearing in the 00z model suite.

Completely hypothetical... But if some location ever did receive 4 feet of snow in 36 hours, how high could a drift get? Real question for the pros though, how well can our weather models forecast an event on the leading edge of an arctic blast like what is shown? What do analogs show? The last one last year also was forecasting a decent snow at longer lead times (there were still blizzard warnings), but we mostly got an inch of dust with strong winds.