Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room - Winter 23/24 Edition

mappy

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Just remember: we climate doomers were mocked all year on here. Now which of the two threads ended up being more accurate: this one or the long range thread? LOL

The panic thread has been the most accurate of the threads for several years running.  They should really just pin this one and let the LR thread languish because it's pretty useless as far as accurate forecasting goes.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, IronTy said:

The panic thread has been the most accurate of the threads for several years running.  They should really just pin this one and let the LR thread languish because it's pretty useless as far as accurate forecasting goes.   

Then why is it still called the “panic thread”? Shouldn’t it just be called the “Run of the mill-pessimism thread”?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:50 AM, yoda said:

Fine.  I can't wait for the posts over the next few weeks trying to explain how these awesome looking pictures somehow failed us

1. Fiery hot base state.

2. Fuckin Hadley Cells. Hadley messed up the MJO.

These two features are why we got epically Lucy'd after seeing those incredible model runs for weeks.

BTW, this is basically the Deb Playbook Rule No. 4.

Welcome all to the Mid Atlantic Panic Room.

We get teased by epic patterns 360 hours away, every day from Oct 1 to April 1.

Here you get to be debbed nearly to death.

There is always a perfectly rational reason we didn't get the deep snow the epic pattern advertised.  There is always a perfectly irrational reason we didn't get the deep snow the epic pattern advertised. Lucy is in wonderful Superbowl form! And speaking of superbowls, the Niners lost so this is where we really stack up the bonuses! The Superbowl failed us, since we love the Ravens and we wanted the Niners to smash the chiefs, but the chiefs won. So not only do we get to be Lucy'd, we will also get Torched into the bargain! Abandon ALL hope up in here!

I’m sure I ain’t the only one, but I just got the gut feeling that’s it for the year. Also I think this is just how it is these days. I’ll also bet money spring will be chilly and fuckin damp. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steve25 said:

Loading up that $20 for you. We have to give it until we officially make it through the 15th, but the writing is definitely all over the wall lol

Well not so sure now maybe things are starting to turn in your favor just goes to show you how unpredictable the weather can be

• Like 1

I really hate this winter with a passion. So much hype. Just a bunch of teases. I don't think it would have been an epic winter to this point, but it would have been a really good one if some of these perfect track storms would have been snow. Sitting here waiting on the dryslot to fill in while I can see the back edge flying east. Looks like I am going to get one little band out of this for 45 minutes to an hour and that's it. Dumbest hobby ever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I really hate this winter with a passion. So much hype. Just a bunch of teases. I don't think it would have been an epic winter to this point, but it would have been a really good one if some of these perfect track storms would have been snow. Sitting here waiting on the dryslot to fill in while I can see the back edge flying east. Looks like I am going to get one little band out of this for 45 minutes to an hour and that's it. Dumbest hobby ever.

What pisses me off is I think it’s actually colder than modeled. But then the dryslot happened. Ridiculous.

54 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

See you tonight for the 00z suite

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Glad I chased today’s storm. I’d literally be bonkers right now if I hadn’t. I don’t know how you all do it. Even having to leave up here in NW New Jersey and going back to Delaware is triggering me. Especially after glancing at the model runs. We just don’t do winter anymore. 

I chased the storm too, all the way from my bed to my yard.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Glad I chased today’s storm. I’d literally be bonkers right now if I hadn’t. I don’t know how you all do it. Even having to leave up here in NW New Jersey and going back to Delaware is triggering me. Especially after glancing at the model runs. We just don’t do winter anymore. 

Annual family vacation to guaranteed snowy destinations. That's gonna be the way...

Especially next year's Super Nina, +QBO, +AO, descending solar off a maximum, with continued marine heat waves off Japan and the West Pac warm pool. Did you see the CFS sst forecast in the NCEP ENSO update? Winter 2024-25 is going to be historic... and not in the way we want it.

Look at this. Horrifying.

943036589_Screenshot2024-02-13at4_28_45PM.png.30debde4f2dc5efc36680c61cdaa072b.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Annual family vacation to guaranteed snowy destinations. That's gonna be the way...

Especially next year's Super Nina, +QBO, +AO, descending solar off a maximum, with continued marine heat waves off Japan and the West Pac warm pool. Did you see the CFS sst forecast in the NCEP ENSO update? Winter 2024-25 is going to be historic... and not in the way we want it.

We're a lock for a HECS next year. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

Look at this. Horrifying.

943036589_Screenshot2024-02-13at4_28_45PM.png.30debde4f2dc5efc36680c61cdaa072b.png

Honestly, we can't do a whole lot worse than this winter.   It'll be warm/wet cold/dry, but maybe the cold will actually be cold.

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

We can't? Let me re-introduce you to last winter! Now THAT would be difficult to top.

I actually respect last winter.  It didn't pretend to be anything that it wasn't, confident in its shortcomings.  It was a Sigma Winter.  

This winter is worse.  It's like some Milquetoast Beta winter that thought it had chops but turned out to be a total pretender with no jawline. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Honestly, we can't do a whole lot worse than this winter.   It'll be warm/wet cold/dry, but maybe the cold will actually be cold.

Both this and last winter we at least had some blocking. Next winter we probably won’t. Not to the extent that we have seen anyway. 

I’d want to see wholesale changes in the pacific and for the atlantic to cool off to change my outlook. Until then, I’m setting fare alerts on Google flights. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Both this and last winter we at least had some blocking. Next winter we probably won’t. Not to the extent that we have seen anyway. 

I'm fully expecting next winter to be a replay of last winter. It's going to be a dumpster fire. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic