• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

A few take away's before the event.  An almost classic storm track with minor variations. We would be measuring snow in feet if we had a source of cold air for the storm to tap into. Where is that 1040 high over southeast Quebec?

I'm happy because 24 inches of snow means too much cleanup labor and the 2 inches of rain over 24 hours will be wonderful for the continuing severe drought according to the drought monitor updated this morning.

image.thumb.png.a3c478414db5c1440571e562431fd477.png

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Another good euro weekly run if we’re keeping score. Just worth noting yesterdays flip back to a -NAO wasn’t a one off fluke. 
IMG_0404.thumb.png.b73382983ec0f48eed73e0cdf8966a45.png

Sure hope they're right. I would hate for something like a +NAO all winter to mess this up...because not only would it suck for this year, we still wouldn't know whether a Niño still works since we could point to that as a culprit. Like you said earlier...hopefully we won't have to do that analysis, lol

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Sure hope they're right. I would hate for something like a +NAO all winter to mess this up...because not only would it suck for this year, we still wouldn't know whether a Niño still works since we could point to that as a culprit. Like you said earlier...hopefully we won't have to do that analysis, lol

i really doubt we get more than transient +NAO periods like this one bc of how persistent the -NAO has been since the end of last winter and the brewing possible SSW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

image.png.775a2b0c1cb9bb1f8031c8ed14145fc3.png

as I try to learn during a relatively quiet period - for our area, we'd want this "vort max(?)" closer to the NC/VA border, correct? and ideally tilted negatively instead of positively?

Thing is it doesnt really matter. Because there is no cold air for it to pull down anyways. It is all trapped on the other side of the hemisphere. Seems to be the new norm. 

3 hours ago, Ji said:

not a debbie downer but the Euro season models had December by far as the stormiest month. Jan and Feb were nowhere near as precip heavy as December so we cant be expecting noreasters evert weekend once the cold arrives. in 2009--we had to wait from Dec 19 to Jan 30 for a snow event

Euro seasonal or not. Look at the map of the Pacific. It is LOADED with storms. We will have our chances. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Except for the 3 blizzards many still got more snow that winter than like 5 of the last 7!  There was a 3-5” snow for the western burbs Dec 5.  A coating late Dec. 1-3 early Jan.  4-7” late Jan. 3-5” early Feb. 1-3” in MD late Feb.  And that’s ignoring the ridiculousness of “except for 3 blizzards” but yes I know you’re mostly kidding. 

Yeah I definitely remember that the period leading up to the back-to-back blizzards had a few overperformers that dropped some nice snow on us. It was pretty active.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Thing is it doesnt really matter. Because there is no cold air for it to pull down anyways. It is all trapped on the other side of the hemisphere. Seems to be the new norm. 

Wrong.  If we get a dynamic enough 850 pass, it will pull cold air from aloft and north and we will have ourselves some snow

• Like 1

From where? This isnt January or early February where we are cold. There is no cold air on this side of the Hemisphere.And I wonder why????
ims2023348_usa.gif

This is a polar jet short wave , if it closed off in a good spot it would be fine for snow and plenty cold. It’s why we’ve seen some model runs actually show snow from the second shortwave. The problem is getting it to close off in an ideal spot. Long shot

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

This is a polar jet short wave , if it closed off in a good spot it would be fine for snow and plenty cold. It’s why we’ve seen some model runs actually show snow from the second shortwave. The problem is getting it to close off in an ideal spot. Long shot

Yeah, agree. Main System moving up the Coast will be tough until further North where it draws in colder air. Maybe highest elevations of the Smokies and mid App chain can score from it as well. 

• Like 1

Yeah I definitely remember that the period leading up to the back-to-back blizzards had a few overperformers that dropped some nice snow on us. It was pretty active.

Jan 30, 2010 was a sneak attack. It was forecast to be further south, but the northern edge ended up producing several inches. The 2nd storm in Feb 2010, aka the bowling ball vort, made this area look like Siberia.
  • Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic