• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

Through 1:30pm on 12/29/2023, my location has received 62.63" of rain since January 1, 2023 according to my PWS.  That seems like a significant amount.  Visualizing it as 5' of standing water covering everything here is pretty crazy.

Ironically, no real mushroom problem throughout the year.  Unlike other wet years, that didn't seem quite as wet in total as this one, where it was a constant battle between mud, trying to mow, and mushrooms blooming all over the yard.  

As I've gotten older and understand I have no power over the weather, I have a greater appreciation for what happens in the here and now as well as how it differs from season to season, year to year.  Weather is going to do what weather is going to do.  We simply experience it.  

1 hour ago, PWMan said:

Driving home just now through yet another round of drizzle, it hit me that at this point I’d actually be excited to just see the sun for a while. Snow isn’t even part of the equation.

lol, flying back from LAX yesterday to BOS and there was sun above the clouds as we approached BOS. I knew it was going to be awhile before I saw it again when we dropped into the clouds. The cloud deck was really low at ~1300ft. I was watching the altitude from our seats and always appreciative the pilots know what they're doing as we were circling a bit at low alt then making the final turn to approach. My wife's been a FA for 38yrs so no big deal for her.  Landing was uneventful, unlike the AA flight yesterday into London:o

55 minutes ago, met_fan said:

My December avg temp (37.4) is currently running less than a degree below my November temp (38.3). Do Decembers ever actually run warmer than Novembers in SNE?

I looked back at the historical monthlies of CON, BOS, ORH, and BDL and couldn’t find an instance of it happening. There is a nonzero chance of it though considering all of the sites have had Novembers with monthly means that were colder than some of the warmest December means…just not in the same season. 

Warm bias or not, ORH is threatening it this year, but will likely fall short. They are 38.5° after 29 days and November finished at 38.8°. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I looked back at the historical monthlies of CON, BOS, ORH, and BDL and couldn’t find an instance of it happening. There is a nonzero chance of it though considering all of the sites have had Novembers with monthly means that were colder than some of the warmest December means…just not in the same season. 

Warm bias or not, ORH is threatening it this year, but will likely fall short. They are 38.5° after 29 days and November finished at 38.8°. 

Needed another all-day 40s on New Year’s Eve to have a chance but it looks like NYE is going to be sort of chilly for recent standards. Highs around 34-36 with lows a bit below freezing. 

Tomorrow morning’s low looks like it will get counterfeited too prior to midnight tomorrow night. 

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Needed another all-day 40s on New Year’s Eve to have a chance but it looks like NYE is going to be sort of chilly for recent standards. Highs around 34-36 with lows a bit below freezing. 

Tomorrow morning’s low looks like it will get counterfeited too prior to midnight tomorrow night. 

Another good one would be finding out when many climate sites had their latest first day staying below 32 for a high. My lowest high here is 34 this season. 

Something that surprised me looking back at historical records for PVD is that despite being near the coast, it's actually very rare for them to maintain 100% rH throughout an entire day. 2023 has had five days with 100% rH, one on January 4th, one on April 30th, and then three this past month on December 3rd, 26th and 27th. Before that, the last time there was 100% rH for an entire day was May 13, 2002! More than 20 years ago. Delayed reaction to the Hunga Tonga eruption maybe? It released all that water vapor into the air.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

finishing Dec off with a bang huh, nearly 9" of rain, avg mean temp 35.5...and it's still raining, I'll have to check the archives on how this ranks in terms of Dec rain, that's even a lot of precip let alone RN only..

Screenshot_20231229_195718_Firefox.jpg

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDfm-po_FUmvM&playnext=1&si=n82rDnhT0XeQ7rGS