Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s def a boring pattern for now. When northern stream starts getting more active it will be interesting. Middle of this month has a classic December Nino ridge across central Canada which is a good bet for Stein around here unless you get lucky with a well-timed southern streamer…but I think we start shifting things more favorable in the final 10 days of the month. 

We've lacked that for a few years now, More northern stream interaction and clippers have been absent, Hopefully it does become favorable 3rd week of the month and on.

25 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

5 inches of unexpected snow here in 2002

I remember that because it started here with 7" of unexpected snow Dec 24/25. The forecast the morning of Dec 24 was flurries only. But a huge nw shift gave us a storm. 

3 of the past 6 Christmases have had perfectly timed snows here.

4.5" synoptic on Dec 24, 2017, falling late afternoon through evening. Then another inch in LES christmas day.

3.6" on Dec 24/25, 2020, from 11pm christmas eve thru mid afternoon christmas day

2.4" last christmas eve and day atop a few inches of snow from the 23rd.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I was all over that one on the old forum.  Never believed for a minute snow wasn’t going to happen once that low closed off.  I was surprised how badly all the models missed it other than the GFS

I was forecasted to half inch of snow on Christmas Eve after a brief changeover.

Temps started to drop in the afternoon at a fast pace.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Throwing 2020 ITT is provocative man! (You know I’m kidding…)

Lol I forgot. That was a wild one with the temp contrasts. I always hear you guys joking about grinch storms. But I wonder if there is actually any mathematical support to having a little more bad luck on the east coast on Dec 24-25 than surrounding dates. 

What's interesting is that locally in SE MI we have stayed remarkably consistent with our 50/50 white Christmas climo despite awesome decembers in the 2000s and less desirable ones the last decade.

The pacific is beholden to MJO.  MJO is notoriously poorly forecasted.  Hopefully we’re wintry before new years like 1993 which was warm until it went full arctic for a couple of months.  It was ok then-I was still in my 40s but my preference is a mild winter with a lot of snow ala 2012-13.

• Like 1

I would normally caution against those snowfall maps on the backside of a cutter’s cold front. As we frequently see, CAA often arrives too late/dries everything out. 

This looks a bit different though, given how disjointed this system is as the primary passes through the Great Lakes. The redevelopment along the front grows more impressive with each run, and that seems to be the dynamic boost needed to overcome the issues noted above. Good trends for resorts along the spine of the Greens!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some of the Debbie Downers in here are forgetting its December 8th.. How are we saying that the rest of the month is horrible and nothing until after Christmas the earliest? If your long range forecasting skills were that good, pretty sure you'd have an important job with NOAA.  For now we know that things are unfavorable in the next 5-10 days and thats about it.  Every piece of information that we have does in fact say that things slowly start to turn less hostile in the 10-15 and *edit* serviceable to possibly a good pattern in the 15-20.  Thats all we know for now.  Adding this part in, you don't need the perfect pattern to get snow post December 15th, all we need is to get rid of the hostile pattern. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

12 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Some of the Debbie Downers in here are forgetting its December 8th.. How are we saying that the rest of the month is horrible and nothing until after Christmas the earliest? If your long range forecasting skills were that good, pretty sure you'd have an important job with NOAA.  For now we know that things are unfavorable in the next 5-10 days and thats about it.  Every piece of information that we have does in fact say that things slowly start to turn less hostile in the 10-15 and possibly favorable in the 15-20.  Thats all we know for now. 

I don't hate the GEFS look around the 12/20-12/22 timeframe 

• Like 1