Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

16 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Well, we had a couple days of record/near record cold in February last year…that should have killed any insects that were still hanging around no? 

Had >20" pack when that blast hit, so the mice and voles were snuggling and making babies underneath.  Bare ground, cold wx and lots of raptors are the best tick medicine.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it really improved on the 5-day mean after about 12/17 or so….here’s the 5-day trailing mean on 12/15…you can see it’s still ugly

image.png.6990d6102cf8e0b32252c2d1d32855ac.png

And then the end of the run is 12/22 5 day mean which is a lot better…the pacific looks really good by then with the Aleutian low, -EPO/+PNA split flow with STJ …but obviously grain of salt that far out  

image.png.e89480ad307eb5058589e9cdf6a3d9a4.png

The only thing we care about early in the season is a Christmas where Santa is not sliding through our Chimney’s with shorts and sandals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The only thing we care about early in the season is a Christmas where Santa is not sliding through our Chimney’s with shorts and sandals. 

Yeah hopefully we can get a solid PAC pattern by mid-month. All of our issues near Xmas the last few years were directly related to a hostile pacific. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Are they progged to get dumped again like last winter?

IIRC correctly, they do quite well precipitation wise during EL Nino episodes. Ultimately though, I don't think there is a strong signal overall between ENSO phase and snowfall for the Sierra's. I think if you look at their top 10 snowiest seasons there is a heavy mix of EL Nino/La Nina. However, it is interesting to note that when they got whacked last winter it was during a pattern which resembled more of an EL Nino than the La Nina state we were in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Are they progged to get dumped again like last winter?

One should hope so as it would likely further quiet the voices of catastrophe in California.  We saw this in the late 70s particularly 77-78 which most of us would say yes please to here.  I was there then and we got a big rainstorm in December with high snow levels so there was hand wringing about that.  I kind of remember a headline in the LA Times saying something like “Rain prolongs drought”.   My friends and I were laughing about that one!

• Like 2

Cold weekend and early next week…then potential torch for late next week/weekend…perhaps Tday timeframe and beyond looking a bit more wintry? 

EPS seems to continue to advertise the flip…we’ll see if it gets pushed back or not in the coming days  

IMG_9628.png

IMG_9627.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Lets get that early Dec window open for something. Or even late Novie.

Yes, That's when we like to kick off winter, With everything that's happened in the last 10 weeks here for me anyways, I'm not going to get in the woods this year for hunting but it would be good if we can get winter started around T-giving week and into the first part of Dec before and if we have an AN period before reloading towards the end of Dec for a change.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes, That's when we like to kick off winter, With everything that's happened in the last 10 weeks here for me anyways, I'm not going to get in the woods this year for hunting but it would be good if we can get winter started around T-giving week and into the first part of Dec before and if we have an AN period before reloading towards the end of Dec for a change.

Deer are running I saw the biggest buck I've ever seen on my street last night running into the woods. Look like the deer from the Insurance commercial, majestic animal, stopped in the road and turned his head to me, then ran into the woods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Does it really kick off if it warms and melts 2 days later?

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

probably not done with this 65-70 thing

We’ve been telling em’ there is a 3-5 day window Tgiving week .. possibly the holiday itself that pushes or even exceeds 70 . Signal is quite evident. Factor in it’s been Stein and dry the last month or so, no vegetation and strong zonal west downslope flow. Likely areas will overperform and furnace .Going to be ugly . We may possibly see folks roasting and basting turkeys in pans and aluminum foil  on rooftops , roads , and driveways in the sun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We’ve been telling em’ there is a 3-5 day window Tgiving week .. possibly the holiday itself that pushes or even exceeds 70 . Signal is quite evident. Factor in it’s been Stein and dry the last month or so, no vegetation and strong zonal west downslope flow. Likely areas will overperform and furnace .Going to be ugly .

It rained last night into this morning though lol.